The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: HRC Spring Grand

Default HRC Spring Grand

Anyone know how "fan friendly" the Grand will be or has been in the past? Since it's fairly close and I'm a newbie, I thought it would be a good chance to catch some great dog work. I was thinking about getting a hotel room for the last couple of days and going to watch. I've heard from a couple of people that from their experience you can't see a lot from the gallery. I'm sure it's not like the weekend HT but would it be worth my time and money to spend a few days in Phenix City? Ideally, I would like to hear from someone with experience running/observing tests on these particular grounds but any and all comments are welcome.

Thanks in advance!!

If you live close by. Volunteer to help out, it's the best way to get involved.

Not all of the test are easily seen but you should be able to see some of them. Saturday and Sunday you will see most of the dogs. Introduce yourself and I bet you will given some great opportunity to me some very cool people.
    Margo Ellis

“Any woman who does not thoroughly enjoy tramping across the country on a clear, frosty morning with a good gun and a pair of dogs does not know how to enjoy life.” ~ Annie Oakley
    ><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>¸.
    ·´¯`·.¸. , . .·´¯`·.. ><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>

In All Thy Ways Acknowledge Him And He Shall Direct Thy Paths. Proverbs 3:6

Quacktastic-
    I've only been to one other HT and observed for a day. To say I'm a rookie would be an understatement. I doubt they'd want me helping but if they did, and I knew for sure the dates and times I'd be available, I'd be more than happy to help. I live about three hours away and I'm not sure when I'll be able to get over that way and how long I'll be able to stay. If I go, I do plan on staying for at least two days.

If you show up for the handlers meeting on Friday evening/ afternoon please introduce yourself to me.
    Margo Ellis

“Any woman who does not thoroughly enjoy tramping across the country on a clear, frosty morning with a good gun and a pair of dogs does not know how to enjoy life.” ~ Annie Oakley
    ><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>¸.
    ·´¯`·.¸. , . .·´¯`·.. ><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>

In All Thy Ways Acknowledge Him And He Shall Direct Thy Paths. Proverbs 3:6

Some of the sites are easily viewed and some will be tough to see from the gallery. The judges want to eliminate any chance of gallery interference, etc.

Make sure you bring a comfortable chair, drinks & snacks, sunscreen, umbrella/stand, etc. A pair of binoculars also helps.

You need to come Saturday and Sunday to be sure to see us run. Lol
    HRCH Hudson River Drake (Possom)
    HRCH Hudson River Saying Grace (Gracie)

Before i ran my first grand i couldnt believe there wasnt more videos on youtube of dogs running the grand....

After running 3 grands i know why!!! You cant see most of the test from the gallery! Normally theres 2-3 holding blinds before the line (almost 100 yards) if they arent down in some hole somewhere that you cant even see the test The only time a handler might actually see the test is at the handlers meeting Which sort of sucks if your use to watching several dogs run a weekend test and see whats throwing them off.. Aint happening at the Grand

If your close go over... See what its all about... But i wouldnt travel very far to actually "watch"
    "Some people pride themselves on how far they can shoot ducks, others pride themselves on how close they can get them. I'm an other!!! "
    John Stephens RNT

HRCH Wilson's Grand Prairie Pintail
    http://wilsonsretrievers.com/

Quote Originally Posted by BlaineT View Post
    You need to come Saturday and Sunday to be sure to see us run. Lol
    Blaine-
    Heck, I can't seem to make it 20 minutes up the road to train but my plans are to come watch ya run. You been keeping my lil man straight?

OK...here is my prospective on the "fan friendly" aspect. I have been to 2½ Grands. I have had mixed emotions about the view ability of the tests. Some of them have been very easy to watch, photograph, or video. Others have been more difficult. Please keep in mind that the Grand is about testing the dogs. I feel that the tests are set up utilizing the facilities that are available...first and foremost. Then, if the "gallery" can get a good vantage point from which to view...so be it. That, however, is secondary. Back to your question...IMHO, at the 2013 Spring Grand in Texarkana, most of the test were pretty good from the viewing aspect. Again, IMO, the two land test were OK, the two water tests were fair to good. At the Fall Grand in Iowa, the water test were good to very good, the land test were just fair. I find the Grand to be VERY enjoyable. I'll have a front row seat in AL next week!
    HRCH Cas-Hi Through the Dust MH - "Deacon"
    Boomer's Webb Footed Contessa - "Tessa"