The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Checking water temperture-a simple task

Default Checking water temperture-a simple task

The late Howard N. taught me this. I sure miss him, still.
    A cheap $1.99 thermometer from Walmart. Drill two hole in the case and attach a ski rope to one end and a lead weight to the other end with electrical ties.
    Toss into water for about one minute. Read temperture.
    Takes less than two minutes total time.
    Proofed by Rowdy.

http://youtu.be/RBO1N860i0s
    Wayne Nutt
    Go Nutts with dog training

HRCH Patton's Parker Co. Shadow "Shadow"
    HRCH Clineline Hijacker "Jack"
    HRCH Marks a Lot Midnight Hudson, SH "Hudson"-retired
    Castile Creek's Rawhide, SH "Rowdy"

If you tie that thermometer to a bumper so it hangs down about 2 feet, you will remeasuring the temp of the water the dog is actually swimming in.
    You don't need to know the temperature on the bottom.

JS
    “Don’t wave your phony patriotism in MY face! If you really love America, open your wallet and hire an American kid to build what you buy. Think of all our problems that might solve.” Doug Fraser (paraphrased) 1980

Real Americans buy American.

Snowshoe's All American Guy SH, UDX, WCX ... CODY ... at the bridge
    CH. Snowshoe's Girl Crazy MH, UD, WCX, SDHF, OS ... PRESLEY
    ...​ at the bridge
    Millpond's Baby Boomer MH*** ... BABE
    Snowshoe's Crazy For Lovin You SH ... NELSON

JS, A good idea. In the shallow ponds is there much of a difference?
    Wayne Nutt
    Go Nutts with dog training

HRCH Patton's Parker Co. Shadow "Shadow"
    HRCH Clineline Hijacker "Jack"
    HRCH Marks a Lot Midnight Hudson, SH "Hudson"-retired
    Castile Creek's Rawhide, SH "Rowdy"

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Nutt View Post
    JS, A good idea. In the shallow ponds is there much of a difference?
    Probably not if it's only a few feet deep. In a deep pond though, it will be much colder at the bottom, especially early in the year.

JS
    “Don’t wave your phony patriotism in MY face! If you really love America, open your wallet and hire an American kid to build what you buy. Think of all our problems that might solve.” Doug Fraser (paraphrased) 1980

...​ at the bridge

Quote Originally Posted by JS View Post
    Probably not if it's only a few feet deep. In a deep pond though, it will be much colder at the bottom, especially early in the year.

JS
    JS you sure you dont have something backward here? Maybe I misunderstand what you mean by early in the year. To me that is Jan/Feb when the water column in deep water is typically warmer at depth. That is why you find bass for example in the depths in winter months.
    Southland Dixe's Hunter Boy, JH (Hunter)
    Triple J's Hotta Habanera Mo Betta, (Mo)
    Freezeland's Carbon Squared, (CC)

Or just get a Chesapeake and then if its not solid its good for swimming.......I've never checked the water temp before going Duck hunting before.

Quote Originally Posted by IowaBayDog View Post
    Or just get a Chesapeake and then if its not solid its good for swimming.......I've never checked the water temp before going Duck hunting before.
    Or why are you worried about it in Texas.\? If a dog can't tolerate water temp in Texas well perhaps you need a different dog. BTW Howard lived in AK.
    I have learned I need these dogs much more than they need me. Tim Bockmon

How low does the water temp in Texas get that you are worried? I know I have to be careful up here but some days I can get away with training in the water. I don't usually check water temps. If air temp jumps I can use the edge or running water judiciously. Maybe only do 1 or 2 marks not ever blinds until things warm up. After water, then go to land work. This year was harder b/c temps fell really low and water froze to a greater depth. So have only just started water this month and on certain days. Having said that my old guy has been in the water December duck hunting. Must be a black Chesapeake!
    HRCH Scaupgetters Tarnation QAA

HR Blackie 2 CGN, WCI

Metras's Hashtag Mickey

Quote Originally Posted by freezeland View Post
    JS you sure you dont have something backward here? Maybe I misunderstand what you mean by early in the year. To me that is Jan/Feb when the water column in deep water is typically warmer at depth. That is why you find bass for example in the depths in winter months.
    I'm in northern Iowa ... we have been in the deep freeze for the past 4+ months. In the spring, we can put young dogs in shallow water after a couple sunny days but the deep ponds stay cold for weeks. Takes that long for the deep water to warm up.

JS

...​ at the bridge

Quote Originally Posted by freezeland View Post
    Up here you have what is called an thermal inversion or turnover in the fall of the year. Wind and water density actually turn the water over bringing oxygenated water to the bottom and causing a mix. When ice forms, the water goes to a pretty constant temp from under ice to the bottom. After ice out, it can take weeks for the first thermocline to warm enough to swim dogs for training purposes. In the summer, when the top layer is warmed, the thermocline drops several feet.. I can tell you, diving down and hitting it is jolting.

I like at least 50-55 degree water and a 60-65 air temp to do a lot of water work.
    So what you describe in the south is probably very similar but you don't freeze up.
    Never trust a dog to watch your food!