The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media

Thread: How many people are testing for PRA in the Labradors?

Default How many people are testing for PRA in the Labradors?

I know PRA is very prevalent in many other breeds and PRA genetics test is imperative. I check many postings for litters for sale and they list all the clearances done and rarely is the genetics test for PRA done. Is it extremely rare in the Labrador or is this something we need to be checking more vigilantly?

It is not rare, though I can only speak for show lines. We can easily breed around it and there are plenty of carriers in the breed. I haven't seen an affected in years. I am curious, are their pedigrees in the field lines that have PRA?
    Sue Puffenbarger
    Wirtz, VA
    www.boynelabradors.com

I have tested several of my dogs for PRA and RD. Everyone clear. I do see carriers when I am looking at potential stud dogs.

Meredith

Might set this up as a poll... I'd be interested in the result... I've never tested any dogs for it, used to be a at-risk type test; which was very interpretive.I believe that has changed. Still the disease itself can have many causes only a couple of which are testable genetically. Most of the individuals in the lines I look at; could mark a bird just as good @ 14yrs. as they could at 2, and were still rearing to go get them. i've never seen an individual with the condition. On the other hand I know that EIC & CNM have been found in those same lines, have seen pups accidentally produced with it before they had a test. So testing for those are more important to me, I'm sure it depends on individual priorities, and what a particular breeder is comfortable with.
    Last edited by Hunt'EmUp; 04-17-2014 at 06:25 PM.
    "They's Just DAWGS"
    "Hunting is a skill to be learned whether you do it early or late it still needs to be learned"
    "I train dogs, Not papers"

GMRH HRCH Quick MH (most importantly Duck/Upland Enthusiast) Rip. July-2014
    MHR HRCH Lakota MH (most importantly Upland/Duck Enthusiast)
    HR Storm.. the Pup (Beginning Upland & Waterfowl Enthusiast)

I have field Labs and at one point believed that PRA was not found among field dogs. However, a vet-student client tested her puppy for everything under the sun for practice and discovered hers was a PRA carrier, much to my horror- both my bitch and the stud dog were tested and my bitch proved to be a carrier. I tested all of my dogs and the only other carrier was a sister to this bitch. However, I now routinely test as part of my pre-breeding ritual and still have some carrier descendants of those two, which are of course only bred to clear dogs.
    I know of other PRA carrier field bred dogs and because it seems possible that it is more wide-spread than we realize, I would not personally buy a puppy unless at least one of the parents had been tested clear.

p.s. optigen PRA testing does not void the necessity to perform annual CERF exams....
    Erin Lynes
    Eromit Labrador Retrievers

Home of:
    Twig AGDC, Ruger JH ADC SGDC MGDC MSDC MSCDC CRNCL, Winchester SGDC CRNCL CGN, Shelby SGDC CRNCL, Spider, Kimber NCT, Verona, Missie, Jackie CGN, Victor CRNCL, Jet, Glitzy CRNMCL SGDC, Harvey & Viper
    ..........gone but never forgotten, the gal who started it all: Spider's Sunshine MSDC MSCDC AADC AGDC NAC NGC NJC (Nestle) ...........

I test for PRA, but I also do many, many other tests. I think tests are a great way to be able to continue breeding certain pedigrees while being able to avoid producing preventable diseases.

I test.
    Anyone who has show dogs in the pedigree needs to test. Anyone who has British field trial dogs needs to test. American field trial dogs should test ( in my opinion) .
    However, I had a very nice girl who is now 10 yrs old. Her father tested clear and I did not test her mother because of the father being clear. Unfortunately Optigen made a human mistake and the father was a carrier and my girl is now blind.( as well as several other dogs around the country) This was AFTER the original test that was not reliable. So even if you test shite still happens, it happened to me and unfortunately ,the litter I produced.
    BB
    Sight To Sea Labradors
    Southern Cross at Sight to Sea SH "Crosby" (by NAFC FC AFC Cody Cut a Lean Grade)
    Tealwood's Willing at Sight to Sea JH ( by CH I am Able)
    Briarglen's Running on Faith JH (by FC Fish River's Out of the Park)
    Glendair's Come Home to the Sea ( By Ch Topform's Edward MH, QAA)
    Sight To Sea's Take Aim SH (by Sight to Sea's Southern Comfort SH )Aug 23 2003-Feb 2013 Go get em , Man!

Manager of www.DeCoverlykennels.com

All of our dogs are tested, 3 males and two females. Our males come from similar lines and they aren't show lines. One of our dogs is a carrier and I wouldn't hesitate to breed him; I would test the entire litter once on the ground to determine clear/carrier pups and inform the owners of the pups status as carrier/clear. Our dogs were tested through Optigen, the PRA is not a cheap test, none of the DNA based tests seem to be anyway. As stated in an earlier post, it doesn't replace the annual CERF exam.
    Last edited by Rhenee Fadling; 04-18-2014 at 09:13 AM.
    APR HR Big Air Buster
    APR HR Crown's Pistol Pete
    Crown's King Gordon
    HR Tiger Mtn's Bodacious Blond
    CPR SHR Lone Tree's Who Wrote the Book?
    CPR SHR Lone Tree's Kimblederry Rose

Quote Originally Posted by Bridget Bodine View Post
    I test.
    Anyone who has show dogs in the pedigree needs to test. Anyone who has British field trial dogs needs to test. American field trial dogs should test ( in my opinion) .
    However, I had a very nice girl who is now 10 yrs old. Her father tested clear and I did not test her mother because of the father being clear. Unfortunately Optigen made a human mistake and the father was a carrier and my girl is now blind.( as well as several other dogs around the country) This was AFTER the original test that was not reliable. So even if you test shite still happens, it happened to me and unfortunately ,the litter I produced.
    Bridget,

How unfortunate! You did all that you could to prevent PRA and still ended up with it! Was there any potential for legal reparations?

I've tested my dogs for prdc-PRA and still get annual eye exams for my breeding stock. I trust those tests are valid and accurate.

Swack
    Jeff Swackhamer