The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 311121314 LastLast

Thread: Letter of suggestions concerning Limited Entries.

Quote Originally Posted by fishduck View Post
    Just for kicks & giggles, I looked at a recent test. 32% had MH or MNH behind their names. These dogs have proven they can meet the standard at least 5 times. If all these dogs pass then only 6 more in a 60 dog flight results in 42% pass rate. 42% may sound like a high pass rate to some but only 6 dogs in this hypothetical test earned a leg towards their MH.
    It's been my experience that very few MH pass every test; this is why Pros etc. have to campaign them at every available test, and often times hand pick tests/areas to run in. This is necessary to get all dogs the 6 passes(in the allotted 1yr time period); they need to qualify for the whole truck go to the MNH. It's very rare for any pro to pass every single dog on their truck at any particular test; I've only seen it happen in this area ~2 times. On the other hand I know quite a few amateurs with MH dogs that only run their 6 tests; any test anywhere and qualify for the MH, they usually have a goal like I will run @ most 8 tests to qualify if I don't qualify in that we're not going. A goal-limit is something the MNH should look into a dog with straight passes every year to qualify doesn't need to prove as much as a dog needing 10+ tests a year to qualify, Dogs with lets say 12-18+ straight MH passes (equating to 2-3yrs of qualification) doesn't need to keep proving they are qualified. On the other hand a dog needing 20-30-40 tests to get those same 12-18 passes; still has something to prove with regard to whether they are qualified to go. 12/20 = dog is an MH 60% of the time (D); 12/12 equates to a dog who is an MH 100% of the time (A+)
    Last edited by Hunt'EmUp; 04-24-2014 at 12:17 PM.
    "They's Just DAWGS"
    "Hunting is a skill to be learned whether you do it early or late it still needs to be learned"
    "I train dogs, Not papers"

GMRH HRCH Quick MH (most importantly Duck/Upland Enthusiast) Rip. July-2014
    MHR HRCH Lakota MH (most importantly Upland/Duck Enthusiast)
    HR Storm.. the Pup (Beginning Upland & Waterfowl Enthusiast)

What would happen if pros were eliminated from hunt test?

I am a pro by the way. Maybe small time, but a pro.

Quote Originally Posted by Hunt'EmUp View Post
    It's been my experience that very few MH pass every test; this is why Pros etc. have to campaign them at every available test, and often times hand pick tests/areas to run in. This is necessary to get all dogs the 6 passes(in the allotted 1yr time period); they need to qualify for the whole truck go to the MNH. It's very rare for any pro to pass every single dog on their truck at any particular test; I've only seen it happen in this area ~2 times. On the other hand I know quite a few amateurs with MH dogs that only run their 6 tests; any test anywhere and qualify for the MH, they usually have a goal like I will run @ most 8 tests to qualify if I don't qualify in that we're not going. A goal-limit is something the MNH should look into a dog with straight passes every year to qualify doesn't need to prove as much as a dog needing 10+ tests a year to qualify, Dogs with lets say 12-18+ straight MH passes (equating to 2-3yrs of qualification) doesn't need to keep proving they are qualified. On the other hand a dog needing 20-30-40 tests to get those same 12-18 passes; still has something to prove with regard to whether they are qualified to go. 12/20 = dog is an MH 60% of the time (D); 12/12 equates to a dog who is an MH 100% of the time (A+)
    No debate here!. I own 2 MH & they most definately fail tests. My intended point was with some Master flights a 50% pass rate could be extremely low and others extremely high. Depends on the talent and experience of the handlers and dogs in the flight.

I really like your grading system! My guess is the grades correlate very highly to pass rates at the Master National.
    Mark Land

Quote Originally Posted by outdoordave View Post

Very simply put, the game would go on. Maybe not as many clubs maybe bigger entry fees, but it would continue.
    Tom Dorroh

like Tom said, life would go on. Our club has few pros that run most of the time. Nice to have the entries, but we would survive.
    That said I don't have an issue with pros. They are meeting a demand. People bitch about them, but somebody is using them.
    Views and opinions expressed herein by Badbullgator do not necessarily represent the policies or position of RTF. RTF and all of it's subsidiaries can not be held liable for the off centered humor and politically incorrect comments of the author.
    Corey Burke

I like the suggestion of giving some sort of credit to dogs that have already earned master national qualifications in the past. All MNH get an honorary invite back. And say that previous qualifiers only need to pass 3 MH test per year. This would cut down on the wild goose chase at the end of the year from folks trying to rack up 6 passes.

Quote Originally Posted by Julie R. View Post
    Here ya go http://www.barnhunt.com/701/

they'd be DQ'd because I don't think the dogs are actually allowed to kill the rats.
    Are you kidding? What's the point then? Interesting...

Re: limits-I see the reasons for them. I remember the days of small MH flights and the panic for splitting flights. I think that limits need to stay, but MN club needs to go back to 5 out of 6 tests (or whatever it was) a couple of years ago. At that time, there was much less of a problem then.

Someone earlier said something about MH dogs not going for MNH just need to quit running? This is fun. Why should they quit running? I'm not quitting after titling at whatever level we decide we are going to stop at. The whole point of this is to enjoy time with my dogs...but then others just want titles. If I'm willing to take the chance of failing and to pay my $$, I should be able to run if I can get in a test (the last was said tongue in cheeck). I don't want to go to field trials. I don't have time to train for that, so I'm going to have fun at something I CAN realisticly train for.

Sue Puff
    Last edited by suepuff; 04-24-2014 at 03:39 PM.
    Sue Puffenbarger
    Wirtz, VA
    www.boynelabradors.com

As stated life would go on, most likely smaller entries, one thing is for certain it would force people to step up to the plate and run there dogs if they plan to continue, some "owners" would drop out but the absentee owners really weren't contributing anything to begin with, and hopefully some of "owners" that did hang around would also become active in a club. It isn't going to happen, like Cory said there just supplying a demand..
    Last edited by Todd Caswell; 04-24-2014 at 04:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Hunt'EmUp View Post
    I just eyeballed a few MH titled dogs on some serious pro trucks, the pass rate is very high, somewhere between 80 and 90 percent.

For the amateur it is much lower though the pass rate increases significantly once the dog has the title.

So, if 20/60 dogs are with the pro and the remaining 40 are amateur trained and handled and if the pass rates 80 percent for dogs on pro trucks and 20 percent for dogs with amateurs, then the pass rate for the whole test is 40 percent.

If it is 40/60 pro and 20/60 amateur then test pass rate for test is 60 percent.

The point is, in a test with dogs run by good pros the pass rate might be very high.

Edit: I didn't look at a lot of dogs, just enough to give me a sense of proportions.

Edit 2: Your idea about looking at pass rates is interesting, which I guess was really your point...
    Last edited by mitty; 04-24-2014 at 04:46 PM.
    Renee P

Pros won't give a damn if you charge them more, they will pass on the cost to the client. Kind of like charging the oil companies more tax--they just pass it on to us at the pump. BAD IDEA.