The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: It's getting warm. Dog box air flow question.

Question It's getting warm. Dog box air flow question.

I've don't some searching and have found a few threads talking about it. But nobody has talked about auxiliary fans and CFM. I am tired of plastic crates and after doing a lot of looking at SS or aluminum kennels, I've decided to fabricate my own.
    I live in south Missouri, near Branson. So summers get pretty hot and humid. I will be adding fans to the unit but can't decide on what CFM would be adequate. It will be insulated. Any thoughts would be great. I've got a great supplier that builds very nice 12vt fans. Any where from 350 to over 1000 cfm. Just curious on every ones opinions.

Looking at this info as well..

It really depends on the material you make the box out of and the amount of insulation you put in it. The better the insulating qualities of the box the less air you have to move. Go with a proven company as opposed to building one of your own. If you are going to build your own then I would recommend something with a variable speed that tops out around 1000 (bigger is always better though).
    Kevin Buckley
    Stone Cold Retrievers
    (214) 491-9257
    www.stone-cold-retrievers.com
    www.facebook.com/stonecoldretrievers

I was going to buy my own. But after looking at prices I'm not impressed with the mark up. I am in fabrication and if I don't count labor I can easily build one for half the cost. Not sure if I can find a variable speed fan. Might just buy a couple 700s and call it good haha.

Trust me, just one 700 will be plenty. I had a 750 on a six hole trailer in the past that like to blew their hair off. Just go to an auto supply house and get a radiator fan for around $60. I haven't priced them in a while but they aren't bad.

Haha that's funny. I have a vendor that could probably hook me up with a test fan. I'll build it with just one than. Thanks guys. I'll post photos when it's all said and done. Gonna be about a month.

I went online and bought two Nissan car radiator fans.They have like ten blades and push alot of air for being 12V. I think they were $45 .They dont draw many amps either.

Is it something you can control with a thermostat?

I would not have the knowledge to control it when a thermostat. I am thinking about adding a deep cycle marine battery to run the fan off of and charging off my alternator after I bump
    up the output amps on the alternator. Control with a simple on off switch in the cab that way no onrey kid can easily flip it off. It will be double walled aluminum with about 2 inches of insulation room. Haven't decided on what insulating material I'll be using.

I'll piggyback on this thread...

Is there a cfm rating that is too high? I've found some 9" fans that are rated at 2,300 cfm and only pull 4.5 amps. Not sure how loud that would be either.

I was thinking of adding it on top of the box towards the back and splitting the 2 holes.