The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Who were the best designated handlers?

Quote Originally Posted by canuckkiller View Post
    1973 National was at Tallahassee, won by Baird's Centerville Sam/Sorenson.
    1974 National at Weldon Springs, MO. won by Happy Playboy Pearl/Honore.

Bill Connor
    You are correct.... I missed a year...You Won it in '72...Tom "the Kid" Sorenson in '73, and Mr Crow's dog with John Honore' in 74....thanks for the correction
    All my Exes live in Texas

Quote Originally Posted by lanse brown View Post
    A few things that I learned still ring true. "Lanse when you get a gift, say thank you and walk away. When you get a screwing walk away. You are going to get a lot more screwings than gifts"

I threw a lot of birds in '74. In the 8th, throwing the delayed flyer off the line, C. J. running Andy's dog 'Rocky Road' - in good shape - forgot the delay & sent for the memory bird ... judges let him do it ... out. I have always regretted not saying somthing ...

Connor
    Last edited by canuckkiller; 04-23-2014 at 11:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by canuckkiller View Post
    I threw a lot of birds in '74. In the 8th, throwing the delayed flyer off the line, C. J. running Andy's dog 'Rocky Road' - in good shape - forgot the delay & sent for the memory bird ... judges let him do it ... out. I have always regretted not saying somthing ...

Connor
    Mr. Connor, are you saying he sent his dog before delayed bird could be shot?
    Bill Davis

That is the reason why John Honore took over David Crow's dogs. Heard in the gallery:"Santa Clause just bit CJ's ass."
    It was impossible, so it took a little longer to accomplish.

Quote Originally Posted by junbe View Post
    That is the reason why John Honore took over David Crow's dogs. Heard in the gallery:"Santa Clause just bit CJ's ass."
    After that he (C.J.) was commonly referred to as "the man who shot Santa Clause".

Yes Bill ... forgot to wait for the delay bird.

The "Santa Claus' story had more to do with C.J.'s demeaner with David & with his dogs than the incident. The 'hamicker' started after Honore took over. That's a long time ago and a lot of water over the damn dam.

At Bong, '77, our 8th series planned for Friday morning was a Quad with a delay shot hen flyer off the line just left of the running dog & handler.

During set-up I admonished my co-judges that we would have a handler that would forget the delay.
    What to do? A vote was 2-1 to tell the handler if it happened. Mr. Mitchell was running the test Friday A.M. Handler of dog 16 forgot. As he was putting his hand down for the memory bird, Jessee leaned forward & tapped the handler on the shoulder. The delay was called for, dog got thru the test but over all work didn't merit a call back to the 9th. We lost 3 dogs on the 8th
    test, 16, 29 & 58.

Connor

Hi Bill: Am just jumping in here but it was re your comment when Jay and FC-AFC Sungold Lad's Talisman won your Open. I have been working on a history of Goldens in the National Amats., and Sungold Lad's Talisman qualified three times (at least) for the National Amat. so had some wins there. I haven't gotten to doing the National Opens yet. If I get a chance later to check on his over-all stats, will p.m. you---just because you keep such unbelievably accurate and descriptive records.

Glenda

Hi Glenda -

Hope all is well!!

I checked the '73-'78 Performance Book re my remarks Sungold Lad's Talisman ... before he won under Gene & I he won at Rogue Valley 3/76 (O) and had 14 1/2 Open points & won Tacoma R.C. Amateur 4/76 and had 20 Amateur points during that time frame '73-'78.

I don't have the next P. Book, I need to find one -

Best as Always, Glenda -

Bill

Love reading the history of the game from those who were there!
    Bill Davis