The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I'm just saying.....!

Default I'm just saying.....!

There have been a LOT of posts and, unfortunately, some harsh word about the limits on AKC Master tests. Instead of all the bitching, why don't we ALL look at the problem and, instead of playing the "blame game", try to figure it out.

The problem, as I see it is that the local HRC's, due to limited resources, are having a tough time handling LARGE numbers of entries, therefore they favor limiting the numbers...PERFECTLY understandable. At the same time, potential entries, both AM & Pro, are having a tough time getting into tests because they fill up so quickly.

Basically, there are three scenarios...one is a dog that needs a MH title. Another is a dog that needs to qualify for the MN. The third is a dog that just enjoys competing with no other motive. Please note that I haven't mentioned AM or Pro because...IMO...it doesn't matter. I'm SURE I will get people who disagree but...it DOESN'T matter.

Now...for example, my dog, who is a MH, might need 6 Master passes to qualify for MN. The closest tests are Bootheel, Central KY, Mid-South, Magnolia, Middle TN, & Black Warrior. Now, some of these also have fall tests and some of them have double test, so, out of ALL these tests, there should be no problem. However, some will conflict with the Grand...the Grand lasts a week so that'll potentially knock out two tests. Some of them conflict with MN, so that'll knock out two or three more. On top of all that, maybe my curr won't pass all of the tests he's entered in...so I'm gonna sign him up for an extra one...more likely two or three, because I sure as hell don't want to get him 5 passes and miss out on MN qualifying.

EVERBODY is in the same boat! It doesn't matter if it's 20 AM's with one dog or a Pro with 20...it's all the same.

Here...in my simplistic mindscape is what needs to happen. Forget about parochialism and start thinking about supply and demand. One way is to lessen demand by changing the MN requirements. One way to do that is to make the qualification requirement 4 master passes after the initial 6. OR...just make ALL MH's eligible. OR, whatever...take some of the pressure off the local HRC's. The other side of the equation is to increase the supply. Make it easier for the local HRC's to fill up and be profitable. Make more tests available by making it easier on the local committees to make money and encourage them to have more tests.

I'm pretty much talking in generalities but I'm not the greatest idea man. I do, however, think that, if we focus on solutions rather than placing blame, the smart folks out there will figger it out!
    HRCH Cas-Hi Through the Dust MH - "Deacon"
    Boomer's Webb Footed Contessa - "Tessa"

Nice to hear from the folks that contribute not one frigging thing to the sport.

Call me when you have a bag of birds over your shoulder regards

Bubba
    There are three classes of people: those who see...those who see when shown...and those who do not see. - Leonardo da Vinci

You have a nice day too! Thank you for allowing me to post on your bulletin board.

Quote Originally Posted by Bubba View Post
    Nice to hear from the folks that contribute not one frigging thing to the sport.

Call me when you have a bag of birds over your shoulder regards

Bubba
    HRCH Cas-Hi Through the Dust MH - "Deacon"
    Boomer's Webb Footed Contessa - "Tessa"

Don't let him get to you. Go back and look at some of his posts, the majority are negative and bring very little to contribute to the quality of the Forums.

Quote Originally Posted by duckstruck View Post
    Don't let him get to you. Go back and look at some of his posts, the majority are negative and bring very little to contribute to the quality of the Forums.
    How you coming on running your first Junior? Bubba makes a hell of a point however its being missed. A majority of people posting about the problem have relatively little experience, contribute little man power and suck off the teat of those who have been in the sport for 20-30 years standing in the rain and muck throwing birds all because they like watching a dog run out and pick up a soggy bird. Bubba is not a perfect man and can be a downright pain in the @$$ but his resume speaks for itself.

My god I've been lowered to defending Bubba in public. You better upgrade the beer in your truck this weekend...

/Paul
    Paul Cantrell
    Black Ice Retrievers
    Marcola OR

Too many dogs to list (By some Bitch)

https://www.facebook.com/BlackIceRetrievers
    http://gundog2002.blogspot.com/
    "Helping Hunters Train Their Dogs"

Quote Originally Posted by duckstruck View Post
    One might also note how many years of test committee assignments Bubba has been on. Or how many he has chaired. Or how many years (decades) he has been in the game. Until you have worn all the hats that he has worn ...

T. Mac

Quote Originally Posted by Gun_Dog2002 View Post
    How you coming on running your first Junior? Bubba makes a hell of a point however its being missed. A majority of people posting about the problem have relatively little experience, contribute little man power and suck off the teat of those who have been in the sport for 20-30 years standing in the rain and muck throwing birds all because they like watching a dog run out and pick up a soggy bird. Bubba is not a perfect man and can be a downright pain in the @$$ but his resume speaks for itself.

My god I've been lowered to defending Bubba in public. You better upgrade the beer in your truck this weekend...

/Paul
    Bubba and Two Tall in the last two days. Hell it must be finally spring me and luvmylab90210 been agreeing
    I have learned I need these dogs much more than they need me. Tim Bockmon

Careful guys....Sounds a lot like you are saying that newbies to the sport need to be grateful that there is a sport for them, and not have an opinion on anything.

I dont think this post is complaining about how it has been done, nor is it criticising those who have built the sport, to the sucess it has become.... But it sounds like it is someone who is loving the sport that was created by many of you guys, and they have ideas to deal with the current issues we are all dealing with.
    Brian & Jennifer Tucker
    Bennett, Colorado

Marks-A-Lot Babyface (2003 HR CH Marks A Lot Gangster QAA MNH CD WCX x Marks-A-Lot Call Me Cathy)

Marks-A-Lot Gangster's Midnite Star SH (2012 HR CH Marks A Lot Gangster QAA MNH CD WCX X Crabby Patty JH)

Dixie's Crimson Tide MH (Yup...a Golden!)

Marks-A-Lot's Irish Boy- AKA"The Pup"

This is why these threads always end up being 15 pages long!!
    "Some people pride themselves on how far they can shoot ducks, others pride themselves on how close they can get them. I'm an other!!! "
    John Stephens RNT

HRCH Wilson's Grand Prairie Pintail
    http://wilsonsretrievers.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Moose Mtn View Post
    Careful guys....Sounds a lot like you are saying that newbies to the sport need to be grateful that there is a sport for them, and not have an opinion on anything.

I dont think this post is complaining about how it has been done, nor is it criticising those who have built the sport, to the sucess it has become.... But it sounds like it is someone who is loving the sport that was created by many of you guys, and they have ideas to deal with the current issues we are all dealing with.
    Funny what people read into things. Yes newbies should be grateful for those who have and continue to give back. They don't have to bow down to them, but they should be grateful. As far as not having an opinion, I don't see where that was put out there, however, if you have never been a part of club leadership or a test committee then it is hard to place much credibility in many statements. It is kind of like me suggesting to a neurosurgeon how to make an incision in someone's back because I have had back surgery.
    Pros writing and posting a self serving letter about the entry problem have little credibility. Someone who runs hunt test and has never be a part of producing the event that suggest there should be a greater supply of test has little credibility.
    Views and opinions expressed herein by Badbullgator do not necessarily represent the policies or position of RTF. RTF and all of it's subsidiaries can not be held liable for the off centered humor and politically incorrect comments of the author.
    Corey Burke