The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Let's talk dog boxes

Quote Originally Posted by augunner View Post
    Now that is something I hadn't though of. That is a pretty big concern. That right there might scratch this whole idea.
    Don't wuss out because of the dog chewing post. IF you do your part right, design and construction, then they won't have any areas that they can chew on.

Lonnie Spann
    DISCLAIMER: The above post is the opinionated and biased view of your's truly, Lonnie Spann, and is in no way intended to reflect the opinions or views of the unfortunate individuals named below who just happen to be doomed with guilt by association.

Member of CAHRC and North AL HRC. I train with AND AM FRIENDS WITH: Fishduck, Laidback, Splash_Em, RF2, Drake2014, Claimsadj, Hooked on Quackers, RookieTrainer and Roseberry.

HRCH Spann's Quacker Jack "Jack" 500 Pt. Club (New & IMPROVED jacket).

Quote Originally Posted by Lonnie Spann View Post
    Don't wuss out because of the dog chewing post. IF you do your part right, design and construction, then they won't have any areas that they can chew on.

Lonnie Spann
    I'm with Lonnie. They shouldnt be able to "dig" into the fiberglass if its all sealed and there definitely should not be a spot on the inside of the box they can chew on if designed correctly.

http://www.ainleykennels.com/default.htm

There. Now we don't have to talk about it anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by Jacob Hawkes View Post
    http://www.ainleykennels.com/default.htm

There. Now we don't have to talk about it anymore.

Jacob, if you read the OP and his second post, he is in college and funds are tight. Thats why he wants to make his own box. But I'm sure if you send him the money he would be happy to buy a first class box.
    Bill Davis

Yeah I'm taking all donations for training equipment of any kind! But on a serious note, I would love to be able to afford a 2 or 3 hole mountain top or ainley. But that is just not an option for me right now. I was considering sticking with the plastic kennel with a cover, but those offer very little protection to the dog from the heat and in the worst case scenario of an accident. I agree with you Lonnie, and I'm thankful for the reassurance.

The other option I'm looking into is buying a used, lower quality aluminum box and insulating it. I'm weighing all the options on this.

Yeah I'm taking all donations for training equipment of any kind! But on a serious note, I would love to be able to afford a 2 or 3 hole mountain top or ainley. But that is just not an option for me right now. I was considering sticking with the plastic kennel with a cover, but those offer very little protection to the dog from the heat and in the worst case scenario of an accident. I agree with you Lonnie, and I'm thankful for the reassurance.

The other option I'm looking into is buying a used, lower quality aluminum box and insulating it. I'm weighing all the options on this.
    this is the option i went with i still need to isulate the box but plan on putting a fan on the back evenually to pull air through the box very soon. last year i had a plastic kennel on the back seat of a black ford focus and with just a small fan and a frozen bottle 1/2gallon bottle of water and my chocolate dog was fine for long club training days but i never put her up soaking wet either. Also all the windows were down and parked in the shade if i could.

I had a friend that had a fiberglass topper/cap. Dogs were in kennels in the back, she fell asleep and rolled the truck, cap exploded and crates fell apart dogs running all over the Highway. I would suggest a refurbished steel box.
    Margo Ellis

“Any woman who does not thoroughly enjoy tramping across the country on a clear, frosty morning with a good gun and a pair of dogs does not know how to enjoy life.” ~ Annie Oakley
    ><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>¸.
    ·´¯`·.¸. , . .·´¯`·.. ><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>

In All Thy Ways Acknowledge Him And He Shall Direct Thy Paths. Proverbs 3:6

Try Dan's dog boxes. We have had ours for years and they are only a few hundred dollars. It use to be Dan's Deluxe boxes but I just googled it and now looks like Dan's dog boxes are the ones. We had one that was square and paid about 300. Made out of aircraft alum. We sold that that one when we got the 5th wheel and gave them the demisions we needed for 2 hole box. With shipping I think it was around 600. - 700. Stays cool in the summer. We do have a fan monted on top and a bilge pump fan in it and works great. IT is also light enough that my husband can take out of the truck by himself if needed.

How do your dogs do with the heat and no insulation?
    Gunner
    I live in Houston and have an Ainley 2-dog with the bars on sides and doors with top storage. It has the fan in the top, but no insulation. Now the top storage will serve as an insulation, but nothing on the sides. I use 2-12volt fans on the doors in the heat and cover the bars in the cold. My dogs do great.

Used aluminum boxes can be found all over the net for really good prices.
    We are only as good as those that surround us.

Birthplace to:
    •FC-BAYOU TECHE TEX-'09 Nat'l Finalist
    •FC-BUTCH's DREAM CODE of TCR-2x Nat'l Qualifier
    •FC-DREAM DANCIN'-2x Nat'l Qualifier
    Gettin' Jiggy Widdit-MH
    Dancin' Dreamer Kate-MH (•FC-"FINN",QAA-"Coal"-MNHofF, QAAs-"Tank", QAA-"Allie", MH-"Tease", QAA-"Hardy", MNH-Ruby)

RIP Sweet mama Dancy!!!

You should at least call some companies. I have an Ainely 2 hole that I really like. Give Jane a call she is really nice and helpful. You could probably use what you were going to spend building it yourself as a deposit to lock in a build date, then you have approximately 6 mos. to get the funds together to pay the balance when it is completed. And a box that will last a lifetime. You may be suprised how affordable they can be if you don't go crazy on options.
    Black as mollases, call name Strap

Sire: Fc Afc Land ahoy "PIRATE"

Dam: Ten bears little bit "BUTTON"