The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Marking Test, Common Occurrence?

Default Marking Test, Common Occurrence?

In a real life hunting scenerio you could possibly have a dog on land or in the water retrieving a bird while more birds are buzzy around. Being the careful hunters we all are I'm sure many have dropped another bird or two while the dog is on the return with a retrieve.

How often, if ever have you witnessed this real life hunting scenerio at a Hunt Test or Field Trial?
    I hate rude behavior in a man, won't tolerate it. Captain Woodrow Call

If the dog is out... We arent shooting!! NEVER! See a dog get killed in front of you.. You will stop too!
    "Some people pride themselves on how far they can shoot ducks, others pride themselves on how close they can get them. I'm an other!!! "
    John Stephens RNT

HRCH Wilson's Grand Prairie Pintail
    http://wilsonsretrievers.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Wade View Post
    In a real life hunting scenerio you could possibly have a dog on land or in the water retrieving a bird while more birds are buzzy around. Being the careful hunters we all are I'm sure many have dropped another bird or two while the dog is on the return with a retrieve.

How often, if ever have you witnessed this real life hunting scenerio at a Hunt Test or Field Trial?
    About every second or third MH. A diversion shot is required, but diversion birds are pretty common.

Quote Originally Posted by i_willie12 View Post
    If the dog is out... We arent shooting!! NEVER! See a dog get killed in front of you.. You will stop too!
    That's unfortunate, but we whack and stack with the dog(s) retrieving. I see no issue with it.

HRC hunt tests require a diversion bird at all levels except Started. The purpose is to simulate a bird that is shot while the dog is returning with another bird. In Finished, if the dog switches (drops the original bird and picks up the diversion bird) the dog fails.
    HRCH Royer's Mighty Riverman Murphy (Murphy)
    HRCH Dakota's Element of Surprise (Ellie)

Quote Originally Posted by i_willie12 View Post

I'm with you...You shoot while my dog is on a retrieve, and OUR hunt is over...
    All my Exes live in Texas

Quote Originally Posted by lanse brown View Post
    A few things that I learned still ring true. "Lanse when you get a gift, say thank you and walk away. When you get a screwing walk away. You are going to get a lot more screwings than gifts"

Used to be called a "bulldog". Were more common in in the 80s and early 90s.
    Bill Davis

Our hunt test two weeks ago 1st series was a triple with a diversion flyer bulldog with a double blind. Upon the return of the first bird retrieved (usually the go bird) a flyer was shot as the diversion. Most of the dogs did OK.

1st series Master TVHRC April 2014.jpg

Here's an up close and personal video I made while I manned the middle station. Sharon Collins running her beast...JET. It's not the entire test, but you get a good glimpse of the bulldog when Jet returns from getting the go bird across the channel.
    Last edited by Willie Alderson; 04-22-2014 at 12:42 PM.
    ~Willie Alderson

"Roxi" Alder Creeks Riparian Roxi MH QAA

"Teeter" Alder Creeks Teeter Maha

"Drake" Willey's Drake Seeker Supreme MH (2005-2014)

Quote Originally Posted by Willie Alderson View Post
    Our hunt test two weeks ago 1st series was a triple with a diversion flyer bulldog with a double blind. Upon the return of the first bird retrieved (usually the go bird) a flyer was shot as the diversion. Most of the dogs did OK.

1st series Master TVHRC April 2014.jpg
    I think most top notch hunting dogs and HT dogs would handle them with no problem... Try it a FT and the dogs might be OK... But half the handlers would have a coronary!
    Bill Davis

well i kinda live in a duck desert so we dont get many ducks so never seen it happen but also knowing that if we are shooting passing wood ducks and the situation was right then yes it could happen for my dog. but we see one in every test and just about every training setup.