The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Marking Test, Common Occurrence?

I don't do retriever tests but we do practice diversion birds and shooting while the dog is out on retrieve. I have no problem killing birds when the dogs are in the field, but my standing line is, "if your going to shoot my dog you better shoot me first". Never have had a dog shot yet. Not sure how you would hunt upland game without the dogs in the field. JMHO
    Don

Quote Originally Posted by Jacob Hawkes View Post
    That's unfortunate, but we whack and stack with the dog(s) retrieving. I see no issue with it.

Only takes one then you change your views!!!!!! Not losing a dog to a silly duck while my/anyones dog is out retrieving!
    "Some people pride themselves on how far they can shoot ducks, others pride themselves on how close they can get them. I'm an other!!! "
    John Stephens RNT

HRCH Wilson's Grand Prairie Pintail
    http://wilsonsretrievers.com/

Not to mention when I am outside of a pit blind or duck blind I may have to move and the LAST thing I want to have is someone shooting over my shoulder/head...
    All my Exes live in Texas

Quote Originally Posted by lanse brown View Post
    A few things that I learned still ring true. "Lanse when you get a gift, say thank you and walk away. When you get a screwing walk away. You are going to get a lot more screwings than gifts"

I'm with you Jacob, no water shots, but if they are above us and cupped up, its on.

We do not shoot if we have a person out of the blind and we have strict rules about shooting lanes while upland hunting. However, we shoot over retrieving/flushing dogs ..... although, again we have strick rules about low birds, etc. We police ourselves, and our guests, pretty closely and thankfully have not had a mishap yet. Heck, it would make for a very slow day of pheasant hunting if we did not shoot over the dog.

Quote Originally Posted by rboudet View Post
    I'm with you Jacob, no water shots, but if they are above us and cupped up, its on.
    Agreed!!!!

I don't think I would share a boat or a blind with someone who I wasn't comfortable with shooting over my dog. That's a pretty low bar as far as I am concerned. By the time we are discussing whether or not we will go hunt together I have already decided you aren't going to have a problem sorting out flying birds from a flushing or retrieving dog. I would also be uncomfortable hunting around anyone whose party also contained someone who was perceived as such a potential risk due to lack of judgemen or competence, that such rules needed to be implemented. Someone telling me "we don't shoot while dogs are out, because it is too dangerous" sends off some serious red flags - if your shooters are too dangerous while dogs are out- they are too dangerous for me too share proximity with any confidence. YMMV

On a good hunting day it happens. I give the dog a sit whistle then work the birds. I dont hunt with people I don't trust to be safe.
    Jim Thompson
    Blue SKy Retrievers

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclone View Post
    HRC hunt tests require a diversion bird at all levels except Started. The purpose is to simulate a bird that is shot while the dog is returning with another bird. In Finished, if the dog switches (drops the original bird and picks up the diversion bird) the dog fails.
    But it's not a mark

Quote Originally Posted by Jacob Hawkes View Post
    That's unfortunate, but we whack and stack with the dog(s) retrieving. I see no issue with it.
    I do! One mistake is all it takes! My dog is precious to me!!!To each his own! IMO
    HRCH Scaupgetters Tarnation QAA
    http://www.huntinglabpedigree.com/pedigree.asp?id=83047
    HR Blackie 2 CGN, WCI
    Metras's Hashtag Mickey
    http://www.huntinglabpedigree.com/pedigree.asp?id=83051

"Knowing how important right timing is in accomplishing right actions"
    Uncle Ray