The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: I've decided I do like more dog power

My dog that passed last summer was a bit of a fire breather. In a duck blind, he was steady but would tremble with anticipation as the ducks approached. When you sent him, he'd hit the water like he was shot out of a cannon. Very stylish. Not sure I've ever seen another dog that could swim that fast.

The intensity and focus in his eyes when hunting or simply retrieving a tennis ball for the kids always made me smile. He was all GO. Bring him in the house, he'd typically lay at your feet (starting at age 2). We should all love our jobs the way he did. That's my kind of dog.
    Last edited by pcarpenter; 04-23-2014 at 02:32 PM.

Personally give me a dog with some fire I can make work to my advantage. You can take it out of them but you can't put it in them, if it's not there. As the old saying goes.

Quote Originally Posted by huntinman View Post
    Well she ain't much to look at, but we did get a ribbon at the last trial
    Attachment 18118
    Kinda what my dawg looks like after a day of training>>> LOL

Controlled fire breather not a slug. Want a dog that you can challenge and grow with! And every day you go out to teach he wants to learn. IMO
    HRCH Scaupgetters Tarnation QAA
    http://www.huntinglabpedigree.com/pedigree.asp?id=83047
    HR Blackie 2 CGN, WCI
    Metras's Hashtag Mickey
    http://www.huntinglabpedigree.com/pedigree.asp?id=83051

"Knowing how important right timing is in accomplishing right actions"
    Uncle Ray

Quote Originally Posted by fishin444 View Post
    You can take it out of them but you can't put it in them, if it's not there. As the old saying goes.
    Actually, you can't always take it out. I think that saying is from the days before Labs had been selectively bred to the extent they are today to have the drive to succeed in modern field trials.

There's a lot to be said for the feeling of walking to the line knowing you're dog is "with you" both mentally & physically. I think there's such a thing as "too much dog" but I would wash out a dog with too little drive sooner than I would the former.
    "The bird hunter watches only the dog, and always knows where the dog is, whether or not visible at the moment. The dog’ nose is the bird hunters eye. Many hunters who carry a shotgun in season have never learned to watch the dog, or interpret his reaction to scent."
    Aldo Leopold, Round River

I love my fire breathing crack head, never a dull moment in training.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Flint View Post
    Actually, you can't always take it out. I think that saying is from the days before Labs had been selectively bred to the extent they are today to have the drive to succeed in modern field trials.

There's a lot to be said for the feeling of walking to the line knowing you're dog is "with you" both mentally & physically. I think there's such a thing as "too much dog" but I would wash out a dog with too little drive sooner than I would the former.
    Agree I don't think you can always take it out of them, for some no amount of pressure can curb the desire.. Not what I want, I'll never fight with a dog again over something as simple as SIT..
    Last edited by Todd Caswell; 04-23-2014 at 08:55 PM.

for some no amount of pressure can curb the desire.. Not what I want ...
    why? just because they don't buckle under "pressure" doesn't mean they don understand it.......I never want to curb a dogs desire, I do however want to add a steering wheel to it.......I love my big power dog, not the most affectionate, not the best family dog.. But snuggles and kisses don't bring back birds.....Give me a strong swimmer with a ton of bottom and dump truck load of water confidence
    HOLD FAST
    Winter is coming
    Duck hunters like other duck hunters at a Holiday party, cocktail hour or a school play..........they hate each other @ 5am

you can't always get what you want
    aaaahhwaw
    But if you try sometime, you just might find
    You get what you need
    Attached Images Attached Images
    NAFTCH FTCH AFTCH Mjolnir Bluebill Of Allanport
    Flatlands Bayduck of Allanport
    Dakota Creek Teal of Allanport

Quote Originally Posted by David Lo Buono View Post
    why? just because they don't buckle under "pressure" doesn't mean they don understand it.......I never want to curb a dogs desire, I do however want to add a steering wheel to it.......I love my big power dog, not the most affectionate, not the best family dog.. But snuggles and kisses don't bring back birds.....Give me a strong swimmer with a ton of bottom and dump truck load of water confidence
    What does snuggles and kisses and affection have to do with anything?? The dog I'm refering to was very affectionate, great family dog, 24/7 uncrated house dog, and had superb manners in the duck blind, but really was no fun to train or run, his huge "desire" to retrieve in competition required alot of pressure to control it, and in the end was washed out as a AA dog because he didn't have the bottom to handle the required pressure. Some people enjoy that type of dog, I don't. And for the most part those types of dogs crash and burn more often than not, the true team players are the ones that consistantly look good from week to week.