The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: I've decided I do like more dog power

I want every bit of my monster again. Only with what I know now that I didn't then. My "good boy" let's me go play more, but he don't give me the charge! Love 'em all.
    Carol,
    Owned and handled by Cruisin' with Indiana Jones, JH
    Alternate Handler: Westwind Buffalo Soldier
    Apprentice Handler: Snake River Medicine Man, JH
    http://newhoperetrievers.com

Quote Originally Posted by Todd Caswell View Post
    Agree I don't think you can always take it out of them, for some no amount of pressure can curb the desire.. Not what I want, I'll never fight with a dog again over something as simple as SIT..
    Why would you want to curb desire? Sit is about obedience.... Not desire.

Quote Originally Posted by Gatzby View Post
    Why would you want to curb desire? Sit is about obedience.... Not desire.
    You don't think that insane, crazy, over the top desire can get in the way of and eurode OB no matter how good it is???

You don't think that insane, crazy, over the top desire can get in the way of and eurode OB no matter how good it is???
    I know that it can.

But, I'd far rather have the dog that wants it so much that it can't, than the one that can't so much that it wants to.
    Considering the fact that God limited the intelligence of man, it seems unfair that he did not also limit his stupidity". -Unknown

Quote Originally Posted by copterdoc View Post
    I know that it can.

But, I'd far rather have the dog that wants it so much that it can't, than the one that can't so much that it wants to.
    Agree, it's a fine line between too much and not enough, if I remember correctly in one of Lardy's original TRT videos he says something like" If I had to Hammer, and hammer on a dog I would consider quieting on him , simply because it isn't worth it" all I'm saying to the person that wants a super high powered dog , careful what you wish for because you may just end up with something that very few can effectively handle..

Carry on

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Flint View Post
    Actually, you can't always take it out. I think that saying is from the days before Labs had been selectively bred to the extent they are today to have the drive to succeed in modern field trials.

There's a lot to be said for the feeling of walking to the line knowing you're dog is "with you" both mentally & physically. I think there's such a thing as "too much dog" but I would wash out a dog with too little drive sooner than I would the former.
    Heck ya it does. But I still wouldn't try to curb desire to fix sit.

I want a dog that can make a stiff liquor drink, clean birds, and drive my truck on long hunting trips.

I TOTALLY agree with Tod!

I wonder how many of us amateurs really have the know with all to effectively train a high powered dg.

I doubt many of us do. I think many can make a good effort, but when you watch most of them, the dog doesnt sit at the line, doesn't consistently watch the marks, and their blind work usually is really sloppy. Many very late whistles, just because it takes a handler, that can be almost be reading the dogs mind to decide when to blow the whistle.... Thats how fast you must be..

I dont know if I had a fire breather,, but I know I had a dog that was tooo much dog for ME!!! It wasnt a very pleasant experience continually having to enforce a very high standard with EVERTHING that dog did!! Like Tod said,, there is a fine line as to how much drive is good for an amateur
    handler.
    Many here say "well,, I would rather take it out of them, then try to put it into them".. I think must of us dont want either end of that spectrum,, Most of us will do much better somewhere in the middle....

There is a real beauty with a dog that has a compliant nature, a deliberate acceptable speed, when they run Blinds...
    When that same dog will "sit', and dependably mark a fall,, and has memory so it KNOWS where the birds are,,, You have a rare dog.... a dog of a lifetime...

All my babble above is Just MY OPINION... and OPINION of a very RANK amateur.....

Gooser
    Last edited by MooseGooser; 04-24-2014 at 08:18 AM.
    It is far easier to spit on the work of others than it is to produce something better yourself.
    Brynmoors Prairie Sage JH ​(Sage) Just a dang fool huntin Dawg
    HRCH Calypso Seven Bales High SH (Bailey)
    HR Calypso Zoomin Loosies Mad Hader (Maddi) We loved you baby. R.I.P.
    FlatLanders Broken Pistol Ricochet SH (Flinch)

My Christian Name is Michael Baker..
    I have gone by "Gooser" since I was a "gossling"

Why is that people equate how fast a dog runs/swims with "desire" and "drive"? Is it not possible for a dog with moderate speed to have high drive and desire? Personally I prefer a dog that thinks and works with me rather than a rocket on 4 legs.

I also find it interesting how often a lack of steadiness is attributed to a dog having "high drive". Many times I've heard something like "to make this dog steady I would have to take out all its drive". Seems to me that if a dog understands that being steady is part of the retrieve, it will be steady. If being steady and getting the bird are not connected in the dog's mind, then the dog has no reason to be steady at the line.
    HRCH Royer's Mighty Riverman Murphy (Murphy)
    HRCH Dakota's Element of Surprise (Ellie)

It's possible to have a dog that's technically steady but still a PITA to sit next to. Happy feet, vocalization & mouth problems are sometimes the price of a really high drive dog.
    "The bird hunter watches only the dog, and always knows where the dog is, whether or not visible at the moment. The dog’ nose is the bird hunters eye. Many hunters who carry a shotgun in season have never learned to watch the dog, or interpret his reaction to scent."
    Aldo Leopold, Round River