The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media

Thread: Hunt test regulation question

Default Hunt test regulation question

Regarding gunners and bird people firing poppers. The regs say

“Only 20 gauge to 12 gauge shotguns should be used. Gunners firing live ammunition

must be 21 years of age or older. Gunners firing popper loads must be a minimum of 16 years

of age and if less than 21, must have successfully completed a Hunter/Gun Safety course.”

Now I will state outright I have not looked at the rule book any further than the above. My question is, does the rule book define what a hunter/gun safety course is or who must teach and/or certify them? Can a club run gun handling seminar be considered a gun safety course and meet this requirement? Does it have to be a state run hunters safety course? What about an NRA or similar safety course, would that meet the requirement.
    Views and opinions expressed herein by Badbullgator do not necessarily represent the policies or position of RTF. RTF and all of it's subsidiaries can not be held liable for the off centered humor and politically incorrect comments of the author.
    Corey Burke

I would think it is the same requirments for purchasing a hunting lisc, and will vary from state to state

All the states that I have been in require HS for license but I don't remember the institution date but believe it to be a Fed mandate.
    John C aka jacduck

"Duck hunter's minds are like concrete. All mixed up and permanently set."

I would read that as HUNTER SAFETY COURSE which is sometimes referred to as the Gun Safety course as opposed to the Bowhunter Course. I believe that the student manual that we use in NY is used by a few states. The manual that I am looking at right now is called NORTHEAST HUNTER EDUCATION MANUAL.

When I teach gun safety (Hunter Safety Course) I don't deviate one bit from what is printed in the manual. Nobody can say that I taught something wrong about safety if I am teaching exactly what is in the manual. I think that is important for legal purposes and I would guess that is the spirit of the regulations---both legal and safety issues.
    "I love the rod and gun and where they take me."

"Do not judge a man until you have walked two moons in his moccasins."

It is required to be a state approved GS course.

Quote Originally Posted by BuddyJ View Post
    It is required to be a state approved GS course.

And you you found that where? Link or copy the regs please. Thanks
    Views and opinions expressed herein by Badbullgator do not necessarily represent the policies or position of RTF. RTF and all of it's subsidiaries can not be held liable for the off centered humor and politically incorrect comments of the author.
    Corey Burke

I am looking for what AKC says, not opinions thanks.
    Can anyone find this in AKC retriever test rules or procedures?
    Corey Burke