The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Probably an over reaction but I'm losing sleep over it..

Default Probably an over reaction but I'm losing sleep over it..

Ive posted a few problems I've had with my young female chocolate dog. She turned 7 months old yesterday. We do some sort of work everyday whether its just some OB out in the yard or maybe just a few bumpers in the yard then we will meet with our training group and extend some 50-75 yard singles. I give lots of praise and really try to keep sessions short due to my problem. Some days we go out and she has a fire to her, retrieves like she loves it but then again, we might go out and she just looks at me like I'm dumb. She is a very, shy, timid dog. She doesn't do well in new places and around new people. We've been working on this by taking her around new places and just having fun(no training) just meeting new people and places but she doesn't seem to be getting better about getting over being scared of things. Some days I think Im going to have a good working dog and some days I think Im really wasting my time with her and that I should just leave her in the house and look for me another lab to start working with. Have any of y'all had this problem? Anyone had a dog that is shy and doesn't really like to retrieve some days but then one day it just clicks and they love it? or with her drive being so low, am I wasting my time trying to change her into being a working dog? What are some things to do to maybe build her drive? I have had her around some dead birds and it does really seem to help but they are at a shortage around here and I don't want her wanting to retrieve only a bird and not doing any work with a bumper.I know Im rambling and have asked a lot of questions but I just hate feeling like Im wasting my time with a dog that might not have what it takes to be the dog I want.

We are following a training plan. We are doing Lardy's TRT. Any input is greatly appreciated!
    Hunt Hard, Dream Big, Aim Small
    Matthew 6:26
    War Eagle's AJ Abigail "Abbie"

You can't really build drive. They either have it or they don't.

that being said...lots of dogs will retrieve one minute and not retrieve at other times. They find something else they are interested in besides retrieving. That is until they are force fetched. At that point... the dog learns to retrieve when it is told to do so. Stick with your training plan...your just getting started.

At 7 months, it doesn't sound promising.
    But, it could be more you than it's the dog.

I'd find somebody in your training group, that has been around the block a time or two, and ask for their input. And believe what they tell you.
    Considering the fact that God limited the intelligence of man, it seems unfair that he did not also limit his stupidity". -Unknown

There are a few guys with experience in my training group that has been training dogs for a while and they tell me "she's just a pup, give her time" and that Im just over reacting. I would definitely know that Im wasting my time if she didn't have days where we went out and she retrieves 90 mph and she seems to do that right when I decide she's going to be worthless as a working dog lol. Im definitely going to stick with her everyday until force fetch is done and see how that goes with her and judge by that.
    Hunt Hard, Dream Big, Aim Small
    Matthew 6:26
    War Eagle's AJ Abigail "Abbie"

Quote Originally Posted by ptp0007 View Post
    There are a few guys with experience in my training group that has been training dogs for a while and they tell me "she's just a pup, give her time" and that Im just over reacting.....
    They have experience, and no reason to lie to you.

I'd believe them.
    Considering the fact that God limited the intelligence of man, it seems unfair that he did not also limit his stupidity". -Unknown

Live birds live birds live birds, I won't judge a dog till I see what kind of prey drive they have, if she doesn't get fired up for a flyer or a clipped wing bird running around then prolly doesnt haven't but I'd try that before making a rash decision, my blm was like that till 5 month's, worst dog in my training group, used a clipped wing pigeon n now is a very powerful high drive dog, I had to do same thing in water, he wouldn't go in water till threw clipped pigeon in it, he goes balls to walls now every retrieve, I feel the prey drive is wut tells u how she'll be as far as desire

Force fetch isn't to go ing to b
    uild her desire up, at least my opinion I don't think force fetch is the answer, I want the dog to want
    It

My dog did not react well to training everyday, so I cut back and it helped a lot. Try using birds also, if birds don't get her going then nothing will. Is there a chance that she is testing you for dominance also? trying to go when she wants rather than when you want? A few lessons with a professional trainer might do a world of good.
    During break time at obedience school, two dogs were talking.
    One said to the other..."The thing I hate about obedience school is you learn ALL this stuff you will never use in the real world."

It sounds like you are doing a lot of things right. Use as many birds and wind-clipped pigeons as you can. Your pup may be very timid around a wing-clip at first, but keep at it. Maybe try keeping a training journal to help figure out what you have done with the dog the few days before a good or bad session. Repeat the process that leads to good days, and avoid the things that don't. I agree with others that say FF is not part of the answer at this stage. I would just be doing socialization, wing-clips, and short, high energy retrieving every few days.
    Jeff

She is just a baby! I would take the advice of your friends and relax and enjoy the journey. It takes some of them awhile to "turn on." If she is shy, you are doing the right thing. Provide her a lot of exposure to different things. Live shackled pigeons work well. I also do agility to build confidence and boldness. Enjoy the journey. This pup could teach you a lot about training. Few people can actually handle the pups that are barn burners right out of the box.
    Susan

FC Tribute to Justice, JH "Honor"
    FC AFC Contempt of Court "Ruckus"
    Medal Of Honor, QAA "Valor"
    HRCH Kirby's High Sierra, SH, QAA "Kirby"
    HRCH Niki Snowbird, SH, QAA "Niki"
    Southland Order In the Court, QAA "Gavel" July 17, 2002- March 24, 2013
    Southland Rusty Nail - derby points, qual placements "Rusty"
    www.justiceretrievers.com