The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Probably an over reaction but I'm losing sleep over it..

Quote Originally Posted by Jacob Hawkes View Post
    Really????. Maybe you know something that I don't & the people that I trust don't.
    All I can say about pedigrees; sometimes you can trace particular traits to certain dogs (if the dog was famous and known to throw it); Some dogs are known to produce late bloomers. However any type of dog can come from any type of pedigree; the best pedigree can sometimes miss their mark completely. The OP has an out of the wood-work pedigree, most of the dogs in it were never tested. This doesn't mean that they weren't smart, birdy, excellent retrievers; just that we don't know what they were becuz they were never trained/tested. Great an accomplished dogs have come from out of the wood-work pedigrees; I have one . The main point is to train the dog you have at the end of the leash and not concern yourself with what is or is not on paper.

Stop worrying and work your dog; she will be what she will be, you worrying just puts pressure on yourself and pressure on your dog; you can bet she picks up on all that worry, and it will affect her performance, who wouldn't be a bit shy and timid, when dad-mom is always worried about everything.
    Last edited by Hunt'EmUp; 04-24-2014 at 05:36 PM.
    "They's Just DAWGS"
    "Hunting is a skill to be learned whether you do it early or late it still needs to be learned"
    "I train dogs, Not papers"

GMRH HRCH Quick MH (most importantly Duck/Upland Enthusiast)
    MHR HRCH Lakota MH (most importantly Upland/Duck Enthusiast)
    SHR Storm.. the Pup (Beginning Upland & Waterfowl Enthusiast)

Quote Originally Posted by Jacob Hawkes View Post
    Really????. Maybe you know something that I don't & the people that I trust don't.
    She just might Jacob, you may want to take some notes...
    Last edited by Todd Caswell; 04-24-2014 at 07:05 PM.

I have seen drive really improve with age and the right training program. Encouragement and excitement always helps.

Quote Originally Posted by Lonnie Spann View Post
    I think I found your problem

Lonnie Spann
    Thanks Lonnie..haha I can't count how many people have told me my troubles are coming from having a brown dog lol
    Hunt Hard, Dream Big, Aim Small
    Matthew 6:26
    War Eagle's AJ Abigail "Abbie"

Went out today with no intentions of doing any training, just getting out of the house and getting some exercise. One of my buddies was there throwing some marks for his dog and Abbie(my dog) was acting like she was dying to go retrieve what the other dog was doing. I finally let her off the lead and threw her two fun bumpers. Retrieved absolutely great and wanted more so I quit. Definitely makes me feel better seeing this. Im thawing out a dead bird to train with tomorrow with a few buddies so we will see how she does with that. Hopefully we will work our way out of the shy and timid stage and continue to build confidence and continue to show desire to retrieve. Thanks everyone for the input.
    Hunt Hard, Dream Big, Aim Small
    Matthew 6:26
    War Eagle's AJ Abigail "Abbie"

I've got a timid one although her drive has always been very high. Although she does understand pressure well, I have handled her with kid gloves, introduced things a little slower and made sure she associates retrieving, gunners, birds etc. with fun, and she has thrived. Darrin's post and Hunt em Up's post (#31) were very good.

You also say you do some training everday. Mabye cut back the formal training to three or four days a week and marks to just a couple of times a week, or even take a full week off to see how it affects drive. Some dogs do better not training everyday. I'm not saying this is the way for your dog but it's just an idea and maybe worth a shot.

I once bought a Cosmo pup with the intent of training and selling him. At 7 months I would have given him away. Same type of issue you have minus the nerves. He just would not retrieve some days. I never made a big deal out of it even though it drove me nuts. At 9 months old he turned on, at 12 months old he was a beast. He won the first derby we entered him in. He went on to make the derby list and gain QAA status before he turned 2. He was sold and became an FC as a 3 year old. He now rides around on Danny Farmers truck.

Relax and wait to see what happens.
    Tim Doane , Kingseed Kennels
    GRHRCH UH Hunters Marsh King Elijah MNH QAA "Ely"
    GRHRCH Kingseeds Little Miss Dangerous MNH QAA " Stella "
    HRCH Kingseeds Queen Of Grace MH " Hannah "
    Kingseeds She's A Classic " Layla "
    www.kingseedkennels.com

Quote Originally Posted by ptp0007 View Post
    Went out today with no intentions of doing any training, just getting out of the house and getting some exercise. One of my buddies was there throwing some marks for his dog and Abbie(my dog) was acting like she was dying to go retrieve what the other dog was doing. I finally let her off the lead and threw her two fun bumpers. Retrieved absolutely great and wanted more so I quit. Definitely makes me feel better seeing this. Im thawing out a dead bird to train with tomorrow with a few buddies so we will see how she does with that. Hopefully we will work our way out of the shy and timid stage and continue to build confidence and continue to show desire to retrieve. Thanks everyone for the input.
    That's great news! My young Golden was the same way. As soon as he saw live birds, it flipped a switch. Do as other have suggested and get the dog around live birds/clipped wings pigeons. Even better, find someone with a bird pen and put her in there a few times and watch what happens. Careful though, she may try to eat every bird in there. Haha