The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Does anyone have pictures of roofs over outside kennel area?

Quote Originally Posted by Sharon Potter View Post
    My current runs aren't indoor/outdoor...dogs are completely inside during winter/snow months, and I've been using shade cloth over the outside runs in summer and a misting system. This year I'm building a metal pavilion over the outside runs (will be 16 x 60) with open sides for airflow. I don't have a picture of my old setup up north, but it had a shingled roof which didn't let the snow slide off as easily as the metal. My existing building is all enclosed and heated, pic below.

Attachment 18140
    Very nice! I am at work right now, otherwise I would post a picture of my setup. I like the Idea of the metal pavilion, right now I am using shade cloth in the summer like you had mentioned.

JT

Kennel has cement drain dumps into a small lagoon. Only complaint is snow/ice dump in front of kennel doors can be slick in winter. Kennel faces south west.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    APR HR Big Air Buster
    APR HR Crown's Pistol Pete
    Crown's King Gordon
    HR Tiger Mtn's Bodacious Blond
    CPR SHR Lone Tree's Who Wrote the Book?
    CPR SHR Lone Tree's Kimblederry Rose

Quote Originally Posted by Rhenee Fadling View Post
    Kennel has cement drain dumps into a small lagoon. Only complaint is snow/ice dump in front of kennel doors can be slick in winter. Kennel faces south west.
    Very nice! Thanks for pics. I need to do something very much like your setup.

JT

Working on our new kennel design and we have included a roof the whole length of the runs specificallly for snow...tired of shoveling and dragging my little snow blower in and out of runs. Never seem to get the snow cleared fast enough--then it gets packed hard, and takes forever to clear out. No way to keep things clean.

Hoping the full-length roof will decrease the snow pile up in the runs.

Meredith

Another thought. Take the posted pictures from #11, #12 and imagine to the backside of the building under the roof where the kennels are attached but to have built a metal catwalk/stairs on both ends w/water outlets (for hose attachments) to spray your runs down w/the gutter also in the front of the kennels leading to leach/drain field. A FT buddy has an industrial size kennel built this way. It works well for cleaning while above freezing. He did have his kennel run floors electrified to use while cold. It works fairly well. I did his kennels several times as a bud while he was gone. Not cheap.

I am having a roof put over mine next week, just paid for it today. Slab is 13'x53', 4.5" slope toward back and 6.75" slope left to right with a 8" splash curb on the back. There are 8 5x10 runs and 1 10x10 run, and the kennels sit about 1' off the curb (just wide enough for a shovel to clean out what you don't want to hose) and there is 2' of concrete in front of the kennels.

The roof will be 17'x56'. We are using 6x6 treated posts, steel trusses and metal roofing. The front posts will be set about 3' out from the concrete to give me room to walk and spray down/feed dogs when its raining. There is brown gravel down the front and sides of the kennel, about 6' out. Roof will be 9.5' tall in the front and 8.5' tall in the back. I wanted it down pretty close to the 6' kennels to offer good weather protection but tall enough for good airflow. We deal with heat much more than cold here in MS.

I should have pictures to post in a week, I hope!
    -Barton Ramsey

Very nice pics everybody.

Quote Originally Posted by JDogger View Post
    Nice clean looking kennel.
    I can't see by the picture, but were is runoff waste directed?
    JDogger,

The kennel surface isn't a concrete slab. It's 18" x 18" patio pavers placed upside-down, so the flat surface is up. They are spaced about 1/4" apart and are laid on a bed of pea gravel about 5" deep, on average (11 tons for a 28' x 17' area). I pick up solid waste with a small garden trowel (shovel) and a wide putty knife for a pusher. It gets pitched over the fence to fertilize the neighbor's corn field. Rain water and pee run down between the patio pavers into the pea gravel, so there isn't any runoff.

I currently have 5 dogs, never more than 6. I'm a consulting forester, so on days when I'm working in the woods I take 3 or 4 of the dogs to work with me. They leave lots of their waste in the woods. I let them out of the kennel often when I'm home and they do their business in the grass. They'd rather not mess in their kennel and tend to wait if they can. I pick up the yard as soon as they make a pile with a garden rake. I can sling poop pretty far into the field with it. The field's to the east so most of the time I'm upwind. No kennel smell around the place, with the very rare exception of a warm damp humid day with wind out of the ENE.

Swack
    Jeff Swackhamer

The roofing services need to be done in a proper way so that we need not replace them again and again...

roof leak repair
    roof insurance claims

I have found that misters are not that attractive to dogs in general. I tried them inside my indoor outdoor runs and they went outside in the heat to avoid them and one dog got ringworm from too much moisture. Now I put them outside near the barn siding so they can lay in the mist if they want, but can get away from it and come inside where the fan can hit them. I also have found that an old evaporative swamp cooler has a kick ass fan system that puts a lot of air in a tight space, which is right down the dog runs. I used to try to run water through it but it too can get too moist.
    www.duckclubofoklahoma.com
    www.arcadiaretrievers.com
    Home of:

Bayou Magic's Rouxster Bleu "Bleu" Amateur Win
    Arcadia's Senor Jefe (Ret) 10 1/2 AA pts
    Co/owner FC/AFC Wing Magic's Louisiana Roux MH (Ret)
    AFC Arcadia's Say Goodnight Gracie (RIP)
    Arcadia's He's A Cracker "Archie" (RIP)