RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

Does anyone have pictures of roofs over outside kennel area?

7K views 20 replies 12 participants last post by  Bartona500 
#1 ·
Hi

I have ten runs on a 44'X14' cement slab. These runs are outside. Each run has a indoor area for the dogs, which has central heat and air. I am looking for ideas on putting a roof over the out door runs. Location is michigan, snow is an issue.

JT

#2 ·

Here's a look at my kennel. The runs are 14' long. Four of them are 5' wide and the nearest one (for puppies or multiple dogs) is 8' wide. As you can see they have indoor runs to get out of the weather as well. The 6' overhang is part of the building. It's enough to give the dogs shade and shelter, but also allow them to lay in the sun if they wish.

Hope this helps.

Swack

#3 ·

Here's a look at my kennel. The runs are 14' long. Four of them are 5' wide and the nearest one (for puppies or multiple dogs) is 8' wide. As you can see they have indoor runs to get out of the weather as well. The 6' overhang is part of the building. It's enough to give the dogs shade and shelter, but also allow them to lay in the sun if they wish.

Hope this helps.

Swack
Nice clean looking kennel.
I can't see by the picture, but were is runoff waste directed?

#10 ·
My current runs aren't indoor/outdoor...dogs are completely inside during winter/snow months, and I've been using shade cloth over the outside runs in summer and a misting system. This year I'm building a metal pavilion over the outside runs (will be 16 x 60) with open sides for airflow. I don't have a picture of my old setup up north, but it had a shingled roof which didn't let the snow slide off as easily as the metal. My existing building is all enclosed and heated, pic below.

Home Property House Land lot Roof

#11 ·
My current runs aren't indoor/outdoor...dogs are completely inside during winter/snow months, and I've been using shade cloth over the outside runs in summer and a misting system. This year I'm building a metal pavilion over the outside runs (will be 16 x 60) with open sides for airflow. I don't have a picture of my old setup up north, but it had a shingled roof which didn't let the snow slide off as easily as the metal. My existing building is all enclosed and heated, pic below.

View attachment 18140
Very nice! I am at work right now, otherwise I would post a picture of my setup. I like the Idea of the metal pavilion, right now I am using shade cloth in the summer like you had mentioned.

JT

#12 ·
Kennel has cement drain dumps into a small lagoon. Only complaint is snow/ice dump in front of kennel doors can be slick in winter. Kennel faces south west.

Attachments

#14 ·
Working on our new kennel design and we have included a roof the whole length of the runs specificallly for snow...tired of shoveling and dragging my little snow blower in and out of runs. Never seem to get the snow cleared fast enough--then it gets packed hard, and takes forever to clear out. No way to keep things clean.

Hoping the full-length roof will decrease the snow pile up in the runs.

Meredith

#15 ·
Another thought. Take the posted pictures from #11, #12 and imagine to the backside of the building under the roof where the kennels are attached but to have built a metal catwalk/stairs on both ends w/water outlets (for hose attachments) to spray your runs down w/the gutter also in the front of the kennels leading to leach/drain field. A FT buddy has an industrial size kennel built this way. It works well for cleaning while above freezing. He did have his kennel run floors electrified to use while cold. It works fairly well. I did his kennels several times as a bud while he was gone. Not cheap.

#16 ·
I am having a roof put over mine next week, just paid for it today. Slab is 13'x53', 4.5" slope toward back and 6.75" slope left to right with a 8" splash curb on the back. There are 8 5x10 runs and 1 10x10 run, and the kennels sit about 1' off the curb (just wide enough for a shovel to clean out what you don't want to hose) and there is 2' of concrete in front of the kennels.

The roof will be 17'x56'. We are using 6x6 treated posts, steel trusses and metal roofing. The front posts will be set about 3' out from the concrete to give me room to walk and spray down/feed dogs when its raining. There is brown gravel down the front and sides of the kennel, about 6' out. Roof will be 9.5' tall in the front and 8.5' tall in the back. I wanted it down pretty close to the 6' kennels to offer good weather protection but tall enough for good airflow. We deal with heat much more than cold here in MS.

I should have pictures to post in a week, I hope!

#20 ·
I have found that misters are not that attractive to dogs in general. I tried them inside my indoor outdoor runs and they went outside in the heat to avoid them and one dog got ringworm from too much moisture. Now I put them outside near the barn siding so they can lay in the mist if they want, but can get away from it and come inside where the fan can hit them. I also have found that an old evaporative swamp cooler has a kick ass fan system that puts a lot of air in a tight space, which is right down the dog runs. I used to try to run water through it but it too can get too moist.

#21 ·
I apologize for how late I am on posting this. 53x13 slab w/ curb on back, drains front to back & left to right onto one exit in back right corner.

Roof is 56'x16' ... 6x6 wood posts are in ground outside concrete. Metal trusses, tin roof. Running the electricity for lights this weekend. If I could change anything, is go 56'x18' on roof for more water protection in front... Get wet while feeding if there's a south wind.

Pavilion Canopy Shade Building Cage

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.