The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media

Thread: Dogtra or Tritronics/Garmin

Default Dogtra or Tritronics/Garmin

I'm following the Hillman puppy program, and I'm getting close to the time when he introduces the collar. I've been doing probably too much research into this, but I can't help it. I've pretty much narrowed it down to the Dogtra 3500 NCP, Tritronics Pro 500, or the new Garmin/Tritronics Pro 550. I like the idea of having high, medium, and low available by just changing buttons. But I do like the price of the Dogtra as well as not having to deal with the uncertainty that comes with the Garmin buy out. Can someone with experience with these collars help me finalize this decision so that I can get one ordered in the next week or so?

You can't go wrong with Dogtra 3500 or Pro 500 but in my mind the Pro 550 is unproven. Look at one of the other 2.

I currently use the 3500.

Is the 550 shipping yet? It will have all the bells and whistles. That could be good or bad depending on durability and how well you learn to run all the buttons and switches.

The 3500 gets good reviews and is available. Clear simple controls (for one dog): Momentary & Continuous at your thumb.

While my 2 (ten yr old) Dogtra 1800's last I'm sitting the fence on these two.

My concern with the 550 is that it has everything that the 500 has, and more. But the price is $100 cheaper. So where did they get that price decrease from? Hopefully it's from Garmin's theoretically better production equipment due to them vein a much larger company. But that still worries me.

loving my Dogtra 2300 NCP. From what I've read on these, Dogtra is more versatile in adjusting the strength of the pressure. I've read some post about people saying the Tri-tronics has some issues with that. For instance, a low 3 may be too weak but a high 2 is too strong for the dog. Dogtra has 127 levels of stimulation which allows you to find just the right amount of pressure.. I went with the 2300 because i didnt see a need for a 1 mile range when I'm not going to send me dog that far. I chose the dogtra because I was nervous about tri-tronics since the garmin buyout and I think they are going to phase out those designs all together and maybe incorporate those with the new garmin systems. I dont think they have been out long enough to get a good handle on how they are going to hold up. Just about everyone that runs dogtra and garmin both say they love each of them but my experience from reading post is that more people had trouble with tri-tronics. Especially now that garmin is taking them over

A cheap alternative might be
    http://www.valleyvet.com/ct_detail.h...FVJffgodZYsAZwh

Only $65 plus free shipping.

T. Mac

I just made the switch from TT to dogtra and won't go back.
    Steven

Nordahl's Queen of Spades (Sadie)

Nordahl's Dream in Extreme JH (Dixie)

Wild Meadow Retrievers

Those that have Dogtra love them, I didn't like having to look at a readout to know what level I was on. I've heard from other pro trainers that the new TT 550 is a piece of junk. I'll stick with my Pro 500 as long as I can. If you decide you like that model let me know, I have a new one I keep as a spare.

Quote Originally Posted by Brad B View Post
    Those that have Dogtra love them, I didn't like having to look at a readout to know what level I was on. I've heard from other pro trainers that the new TT 550 is a piece of junk. I'll stick with my Pro 500 as long as I can. If you decide you like that model let me know, I have a new one I keep as a spare.
    Looks like I will stay with my Pro 500. I was thinking of getting the 550 till I read your post.

JT

Quote Originally Posted by Brad B View Post
    Have those trainers used the new 550? They have not been released yet, did they get prototypes? I am HOPING the 550 works out, until it dies I will stick with my Pro 100 and sell Dogtras to the public
    BB
    Sight To Sea Labradors
    Southern Cross at Sight to Sea SH "Crosby" (by NAFC FC AFC Cody Cut a Lean Grade)
    Tealwood's Willing at Sight to Sea JH ( by CH I am Able)
    Briarglen's Running on Faith JH (by FC Fish River's Out of the Park)
    Glendair's Come Home to the Sea ( By Ch Topform's Edward MH, QAA)
    Sight To Sea's Take Aim SH (by Sight to Sea's Southern Comfort SH )Aug 23 2003-Feb 2013 Go get em , Man!

Manager of www.DeCoverlykennels.com