The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media

Thread: What dog do you focus on more.

Default What dog do you focus on more.

Have 3 dog one 9 month black lab(pound puppy),chocolate lab 1-2 years old( pound puppy),8 year old Britt( full pedigree) all three will be with us forever.

Black lab retreves when she wants. Still doing ob and found out today she has no interest in live birds but will pick up dead ones. She's very slow on retreving 90 percent of the time.

Chocolate has low interest in retreving or the pigeon but will chase a small tweety bird for 30 min like it's the last thing he will ever be doing.(I have had to chase him down several times him doing this)

britt . Has been my best buddy and is bird crazy and likes water and every thing. But when it comes to retreving he will run to mark sniff it and leave it there and return to heal.

buying a dog with pedigree is out of the question( my wife and I foster and rescue dogs so I'll never get to pun a big pedigree dog..

Im im doing the best I can with what I have to work with I love working with rescue pups but my question is if you had my dogs which would you focus on the most to have one to hunt with this season even is it's just them getting a few birds each time.

"I'm doing the best I can with what I have to work with. I love working with rescue pups."

Find someone who has trained hunting dogs and ask him to watch you work with each dog. A half-hour of observation followed by some advice would probably be way better than a guess from the Internet.
    Jim Boyer www.kwicklabs.com
    MPR UH HRCH Kwick Taffey of Joemac's MH
    HR Kwick Daisy's Spirit Keeper SH
    Kwick Kooly Dew It Allstar SH
    HR Kwick Draw McGraw SH (June, 2007 - May, 2014)

I would focus on the black lab. Sounds like it's the only one that will retrieve a bird. Just make sure when you shoot a bird, it folds. It may end up coming around an it's prey drive may kick in when you start hunting it. That's my opinion on it.

Train all three of them. You will be better for the experience and you will also not be tempted to overdo it with any one of them if you have to do all three every day.

If it were me I think I'd force fetch all three and then see what I had.

Quote Originally Posted by KwickLabs View Post
    "I'm doing the best I can with what I have to work with. I love working with rescue pups."

Find someone who has trained hunting dogs and ask him to watch you work with each dog. A half-hour of observation followed by some advice would probably be way better than a guess from the Internet.
    Theres your answer, I know a few people that collect and tinker with old cars but they still have a reliable one to use on a regular basis Just sayin

Quote Originally Posted by Golden6824 View Post
    If it were me I think I'd force fetch all three and then see what I had.
    This seems like they've been allowed to play at retrieving and not been formally taught it. If you teach it everything could change, sometimes the goof off becomes the best student, when they are made responsible for their work. Still if you get 3 very different dogs through the training process, you'll be a 100% better trainer, even if none of them turn out completely.
    "They's Just DAWGS"
    "Hunting is a skill to be learned whether you do it early or late it still needs to be learned"
    "I train dogs, Not papers"

GMRH HRCH Quick MH (most importantly Duck/Upland Enthusiast)
    MHR HRCH Lakota MH (most importantly Upland/Duck Enthusiast)
    SHR Storm.. the Pup (Beginning Upland & Waterfowl Enthusiast)

Thanks for all y'all's advice I do plan if ff all three with the help of a veterian trainer.

I would introduce a little competition if possible. In the past when training partners had sluggish dogs and they failed to make retrieve we would let a finished dog finish the retrieve in front of the sluggish pupil. On dog was very effective as he always made it a point to flaunt the bird in front of the pupil. If the dog in question has any drive this will often get him going and give you a chance for some good positive reinforcement when he (or she) make some retrieves. Good Luck

Awesome that you work with rescue dogs. Me and my family volunteer at our local Humane Society and see a lot of labradors come through that seem to have potential to be great dogs! My last dog was a lab that didn't have a good pedigree and she worked great! Wasn't in to hunt testing at the time but she would hunt. FF might turn one of them around and hopefully work for you! Good luck with them!
    Hunt Hard, Dream Big, Aim Small
    Matthew 6:26
    War Eagle's AJ Abigail "Abbie"