3 27.27%
  • Other (explain)

2 18.18%
  • I sent blood to the EIC study

6 54.55%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: EIC study

Default EIC study

The vet schools of U of MN and Sask are on the verge of a breakthru in isolating genes that cause Exercise Induced Collapse (EIC). This severe malady has become widespread in the last few years.

They need those of us who care about Labs to send blood samples from both affected and un-affected Labs.

Please help them. I sent samples from my 5 twice - the first time the USPS lost them...

For the forms email: minork@umn.edu

Just got the forms the other day. Will be sending blood next week. As per instructions not a good idea to send right before the weekend.
    I reside on the left coast, but my ideals are right wing.
    LQP CN Double Hunter, SH (09/12/1996-12/22/2010)
    Waterstrike's Dynamic Amazon, MH (10/18/2000-09/08/2011)

Hi Keith,

Didn't vote. Received the forms last week and will get samples as soon as the travel schedule allows.

A
    He's got a little Mississippi Leg-Hound in him. Once he starts though, it's best to just let him finish.

Hi Keith, I have also sent in sample of my affected pup. She is doing fine 8 month old and finishing FF, just have to watch getting her to hyper when doing retrieves.

Michael
    The failure to condemn an activity is indeed, an offer of tacit approval.
    - Edmund Burke

Here are the requirements from their form -- what you need to comply with before your blood samples can be accepted. I sent blood samples from 4 dogs (1 affected, 1 sibling, 1 dam, 1 uncle) years ago when they started the study, but without doing all this work-up. All this work-up wasn't specified by their forms back then. Do you suppose they threw the samples away and that is why they need more now? I had to pay my vet $100 for all the draws and it is disappointing if they threw them away.

If you look at this, it is a work-up that pushes to about $1000, I bet, when you get the cardiac stuff in there. (Vets on this list, what would it cost to complete all this at your practice?) I have owned 4 EIC dogs and frankly I don't need to do all this to know when I am looking at that classic form of collapse in a working dog athlete who is otherwise functioning normally. Many family vets know less about EIC than the dog trainers who've experienced it.

My question, Keith, did you have all this work done on your dogs before you sent in the samples? Are you recommending that everyone go have all this done in order to give a blood sample? How much does it cost per dog?

TIA

===================================

In order for the genome scan to be successful, large numbers of samples must be collected from affected dogs and their affected and unaffected relatives. The most useful families for molecular genetic analysis are those for which we have DNA samples from multiple closely related affected dogs (siblings or half-siblings) and their parents. Many more samples are needed to ensure the success of this study.

HOW CAN YOU HELP?

We have completed our experimental part of this research study and we are currently in the data analysis stage. We are, however, still very interested in obtaining pedigrees and blood samples (to help us with our DNA analysis) from affected dogs and their relatives (whether the relatives are affected or unaffected).

Dogs enrolled in this portion of the study should have had at least 3 episodes of collapse with exercise/excitement. It is very important that we not include in this portion of the study dogs that do not really have EIC (ie they have some other reason for the collapse). All dogs enrolled in this portion of the study should therefore have had a full veterinary evaluation to rule out other causes of collapse. This should include:

Physical examination: normal (no muscle atrophy or pain in back, joints or muscles)
    Neurologic examination: normal (normal gait and reflexes)
    Cardiovascular auscultation, ECG, thoracic radiographs and cardiac ultrasound: normal
    Hematologic and biochemical evaluation of blood : normal
    ACTH Stimulation test (to rule out hypoadrenocorticism): normal

If you have a dog who meets these criteria and appears to have collapse with exercise/excitement that fits the description of EIC, please send a description of your dog?s episodes together with a pedigree and the results of the above veterinary evaluation to:

Dr. Susan Taylor, DVM
    Diplomate, ACVIM (Internal Medicine)
    [address follows]

If we agree that your dog most likely has EIC we will then send you directions to take to your vet for blood collection and submission to help us with our DNA analysis.

My question, Keith, did you have all this work done on your dogs before you sent in the samples? Are you recommending that everyone go have all this done in order to give a blood sample? How much does it cost per dog?

Fetch you do not need to have all that stuff done to submit a blood sample. The requirements you listed are from an early part of the research years ago. Currently they just need blood samples to make comparisons, my dog is affected so there is also a separate questionnaire to fill out. They are very short and sweet so no big deal to complete.

I would contact Dr. Taylor (SUE.TAYLOR@usask.ca) and she would let you know the status of blood samples submitted years ago, I doubt they would throw them out.

Michael
    The failure to condemn an activity is indeed, an offer of tacit approval.
    - Edmund Burke

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Heath
    Hi Keith,

Didn't vote. Received the forms last week and will get samples as soon as the travel schedule allows.

A
    Ditto. I have to take 2 of my guys in for routine stuff this month, and will get my vet to draw blood for me then.
    ________
    WENDIE 99
    Last edited by meleagris; 04-07-2011 at 11:13 PM.

Default WRONG information

Fetch, your information is WRONG - from an older part of the study.

CANINE EXERCISE INDUCED COLLAPSE RESEARCH PROJECT
    General Information

INTRODUCTION
    The University of Minnesota and the University of Saskatchewan are investigating the basis of exercise-induced collapse and fever in Labrador Retrievers. We hope to use the results for better treatment, and diagnosis of this condition that can affect a number of breeds.

Samples are needed from dog families with 2 or more generations that contain both affected and unaffected individuals. It is very important is to get samples from as many siblings as possible as well as both parents. However we will accept samples from any working dogs with exercise intolerance.

How to begin
    1. Complete the Individual Dog Questionnaire and Consent for each dog..
    2. For each litter supply a correctly formatted (sire on top, dam on bottom) 4 or 5 generation typed or computer generated Pedigree. Please highlight any dogs that may be affected with exercise induced collapse.
    3. Collect blood from each dog.
    4. Send all materials to the University of Minnesota address at the bottom.

Instructions for Blood Sample Submission
    Blood samples can be drawn at the Smith Veterinary Clinic or The University of Minnesota Veterinary Hospital at no charge, or by your Veterinarian. If done by your vet, please have them follow the instructions below.
    Blood Sample
    ? Submit -3 - 10ccs of whole blood in a purple-topped (EDTA) tube(s). If 10-cc tubes are not available, use 5-cc or 3-cc tubes.
    ? Gently rock the tubes a few times to distribute the anticoagulant: Do not spin, extract serum, or anything further. Refrigerate the sample if it is being held for any time before shipping.
    Labeling and Forms
    ? Label the sample with the following: Canine Exercise Research, dog?s registered name, AKC number, call name, and affected/not affected status.
    Shipping
    ? Pack the sample in a small insulated container (most vets have these for shipping samples to labs), with one or more cool packs. Blood samples must be kept cool but not frozen.
    ? Ideally, ship the sample immediately. Ship by overnight delivery (US Mail, UPS, or FedEx). Do not send on a Friday because no one may be available to accept the delivery on a Saturday, and the sample might become unusable by Monday.
    ? If the samples are held for a day or over the weekend, it must be refrigerated and gently rocked once a day.

If you have any questions please call one of the numbers below.

Canine Exercise Induced Collapse Study
    C/O Dr. Ned Patterson
    Department of Small Animal Clinical Sciences
    Canine Neuromuscular Diseases Lab
    University of Minnesota
    C339 Veterinary Teaching Hospitals
    1352 Boyd Ave, St. Paul MN 55108
    612-624-5322

Default $24

My vet charged $24/dog with shipping.

How are we doing helping with the EIC research?

I heard after I got back from North Dakota that they received my samples the second time.

They need both affected and un-affected dogs to isolate the gene.

Please help.

For the forms email: minork@umn.edu