The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 41

Thread: Question on the value of micro chipping your pups

  1. #1

    Default Question on the value of micro chipping your pups

    I was wondering if anyone has background on the value of microchipping their dogs as well as the credibility of the organization that offers comprehensive pet recovery ("HomeAgain")? Do you recommend it? Has anyone been in the awful situation of having lost a dog but was able to use their services in the recovery of their dog?

  2. #2
    Senior Member augunner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    108

    Default

    If you plan on having any health certifications, I believe you will have I get them micro chipped solely for identification.

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Chewelah, WA
    Posts
    767

    Default

    I use the Home Again chips but register them with AKC (one-time fee).

    As a breeder I want the dog permanently identified so if a pup is returned for some reason, I can be sure it is my dog. Also as mentioned above, for OFA and other clearances it is good to have permanent ID so there is no question about the dog's identity.

    Meredith

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Linden, VA
    Posts
    1,322

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Firefighter1 View Post
    I was wondering if anyone has background on the value of microchipping their dogs as well as the credibility of the organization that offers comprehensive pet recovery ("HomeAgain")? Do you recommend it? Has anyone been in the awful situation of having lost a dog but was able to use their services in the recovery of their dog?
    Had a dog show up in my yard recently, ran it down to my vet and had it scanned. Sure enough it had been chipped, got the owners number and called and returned their dog. Chips work as intended.
    Southland Dixe's Hunter Boy, JH (Hunter)
    Triple J's Hotta Habanera Mo Betta, (Mo)

  5. #5
    Senior Member Buzz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Brookings, South Dakota
    Posts
    6,782

    Default

    I had a dog get loose. He was found about a half mile away in someone's back yard playing with a small child. The mom checked for tags but the dog had none as he had broken his collar. So she called animal control and I got a call shortly afterward. The dog was identified when they scanned it for a chip.
    "For everyone to whom much is given, of him shall much be required." -- Luke 12:48

    Raven - Moneybird's Black Magic Marker***
    (Esprit's Power Play x Trumarc's Lean Cuisine)
    Mick - Moneybird's Jumpin' Jack Flash***
    (Clubmead's Road Warrior x Oakdale Whitewater Devil Dog)
    Peerless - Moneybird's Sole Survivor
    (Two River's Lucky Willie x Moneybird's Black Magic Marker)

  6. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    middle tennessee
    Posts
    80

    Default

    we had a rescue we had placed in ky get loose..owner couldn't be reached so we got a call from the vet that had her due to her being chipped and we were secomndary contact..ended up rehoming her for the person as theier life situation had changed..chips work

    ed samples
    nashville

  7. #7
    Senior Member Meleagris1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Hudson River, New York
    Posts
    334

    Default

    I use the ResQ chip - very worthwhile and handy for health clearances as mentioned above.

  8. #8
    Senior Member Rainmaker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    NW WI
    Posts
    3,598

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mwk56 View Post
    I use the Home Again chips but register them with AKC (one-time fee).

    As a breeder I want the dog permanently identified so if a pup is returned for some reason, I can be sure it is my dog. Also as mentioned above, for OFA and other clearances it is good to have permanent ID so there is no question about the dog's identity.

    Meredith
    Ditto. Every pup that leaves here is microchipped. Gets lost during shipment, ownership/identity dispute later on, there are too many scenarios that can happen, aside from just a lost dog or health clearances. As far as registering the chip, I recommend the AKC CAR now, used to use Home Again and didn't have any problems but their sales and marketing was a turn off. Even if the new owner doesn't register, I've had several chips traced back to me, when owners left dogs in care of sitters and they got loose kind of scenarios. Animal control called chip company who called me and I manually go through my records for a match, since I don't have my chips on any kind of computerized system. The chip company was able to tell me date they were purchased, which helps narrow my search, along with the description of the found dog. Just would be easier if all owners put the pup in their name as instructed.
    Kim Pfister, Rainmaker Labs

  9. #9
    Senior Member windycanyon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    WA State
    Posts
    3,781

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Rainmaker View Post
    Ditto. Every pup that leaves here is microchipped. Gets lost during shipment, ownership/identity dispute later on, there are too many scenarios that can happen, aside from just a lost dog or health clearances. As far as registering the chip, I recommend the AKC CAR now, used to use Home Again and didn't have any problems but their sales and marketing was a turn off. Even if the new owner doesn't register, I've had several chips traced back to me, when owners left dogs in care of sitters and they got loose kind of scenarios. Animal control called chip company who called me and I manually go through my records for a match, since I don't have my chips on any kind of computerized system. The chip company was able to tell me date they were purchased, which helps narrow my search, along with the description of the found dog. Just would be easier if all owners put the pup in their name as instructed.
    Same here only I use AVID. I had one pup not long ago leave her property, and the owner phoned (hysterical by that time). I learned she never reg'd the chip, but AVID still went to bat, put out the word, and worked w/ us since my name was on the lot I bought from Revival. It was a roundabout way, but I was impressed they still took all the info from the owner despite their lack of registration. Ends up the dog had good tastes and spent the night at a Bed & Breakfast a few miles away. I'm told she's reg'd now.

    Our kennel club rescue committee set up a couple of the local rescues w/ scanner and starter chip sets and they had a lot of success stories-- one Boston who was chipped back in the midwest ended up out here and they were able to locate the owner who had moved to ID after the dog had gone missing for years!

  10. #10

    Default

    Chipping is crucial for all the above reasons.

    Just keep in mind that chipping young pups greatly increases the chance of chip migration. CKC in canada requires breeders to identify pups before leaving for new owners; most of us have chosen to chip, since tattooing babies is not a nice alternative. That means that pups tend to be chipped at their 6-week vet check, & in my experience, some chips have migrated as far as elbows(!!), I presume because pups grow so fast & are so loosey-goosey in their skin, muscle structure.

    The problem with this is that sometimes folks who are scanning just don't think to enlarge the scanning area to include possible migration locations.

    So if you decide to chip pups, just wait as long as possible, or recommend to new owners that they scan periodically til pup is older, to ensure that the chip has not migrated

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •