The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Question on the value of micro chipping your pups

I am looking into using the chips offered by AKC for my litters. I'm told they have designed them to be placed under the skin so the don't move around, not in the muscel, I can inject them myself so no vet required. All of my dogs are chipped and I will read every hunting season normally about somebody who lost there dog. Chips are worth a lot more then you pay for them.

ALL of the chips are inserted under the skin, NONE are in the muscle!!! I have done all of my pups myself for 15 years.

Meredith

So lets say you decide that chipping is the way to go. Is it really necessary to pay the renewal fee every year? Lets say I have my dog chipped and pay the reg fee but after a year or so, stop paying the yearly renawal fee. The chip is still in the dog, the vet is still going to be able to read the chip, and that number is going to be in some database tied to me correct? I see the renewal fee as covering all the extra fluff stuff like lost dog posters, recovery costs, other?
    Scott

HR Kiowa's Li'l Girl "Abby" SH, WCX, CGC
    Kiowa's Carillon "Bella"

The renewal fee with Home Again is a sham. They aren't going to purge your data if you don't pay the renewal fee. I use Home Again chips but I register them with AKC for a one-time fee.

Meredith

ResQ chip is a one time fee.

I have found two different labs roaming in my town, taken them to the vet, had a chip scan, and reunited them with thier humans. Its worth the $50 or whatever.
    Wm. Mark Edwards
    Pascagoula, MS

HRCH (500) UH Ellie Mae MH
    SHR Tipsy

I microchip all my dogs for the reasons mentioned, and its certainly worth the minimal cost. But it also depends on where you live and who might find your dog.

Before I microchipped my first dog I lived in the Houston city limits. I wondered which company to use, Avid or HomeAgain.

At the time, my vet had only one reader (this was before the dual readers) and my friends were recommending different companies. I got the idea to call the city's animal control to ask them: "We have a reader but never use it anymore because we've never had a dog in here with a microchip". Well now, isn't that just great.

Ever since then, I always keep a collar with a nameplate on my dogs that includes my address and our phone numbers.

I remember a decade ago when I got my dog microchipped (which was pretty new then) and they informed me a month later that they accidentally used a microchip whose readers were only being used in France at the time. He was re-microchipped with Avid.

Today, the microchips are pretty much universal and so are the receivers, thankfully. If you were to ask any humane society I think they would unanimously encourage you to microchip your pet and every good vet certainly recommends it. Although given the size of the needle involved use of a local anesthetic or its use during anesthesia for another procedure (e.g. neutering) is strongly encouraged.

I would also NOT recommend doing it yourself unless you are trained in giving injections to animals using various needle gages and lengths. The size of the needle + not knowing the difference between subcutaneous, and interstitial space can get you into trouble. It is worth it to pay a professional to do it.

I microchip my dog even though she always wears a collar with ID because theft of purebred dogs for reward or resell happens, more then one might think. It provides proof that she belongs with me. Plus during an HT she has no collar and although remote it would be that she would run off, it provides security.

Quote Originally Posted by Firefighter1 View Post
    I was wondering if anyone has background on the value of microchipping their dogs as well as the credibility of the organization that offers comprehensive pet recovery ("HomeAgain")? Do you recommend it? Has anyone been in the awful situation of having lost a dog but was able to use their services in the recovery of their dog?
    If you are asking is it worth it. I used the AKC service and it cost me about $35. So far the expense for my 1.5 y/o CBR I have paid $1000 for the pup, about $400 for the trip to get her, $200 in vet bills, and $8400 in training. I don't know the efficacy data on cases of lost dogs but if there is a chance it would help bring her home if lost its $35 well spent.

Eastern Shore of Maryland http://www.oakdaleretrievers.com

13 years ago, my best friend sold one of her pups that she had microchipped. She was listed as the primary owner and I was listed as an alternate contact.

I received a phone call asking if I knew the primary owner. Of course I said yes and asked why. This 13 year old Lab had been brought to their vet office and they had found the microchip. They had contact Home Again and receive the primary owner and alternate contact information. Since my best friend had gotten married and moved out of state, the phone number listed on the registry was not valid and they were therefore contact me as the alternate.

I was able to contact my friend who still had records of the sale and through all of this, we were able to reunite the Lab with her family members. Turns out the Lab was being taken care of by the owner's parents while the owner was on vacation. Had the dog not been chipped, this most likely would not have had the same happy ending.

I microchip every puppy my girls whelp prior to them leaving my home. I am always the alternate contact. With the option of being able to register the pup with AKC and their microchip online, every pup leaving my home goes into their new home registered with their AKC registration completed as well as having their microchip registered.

*I ask the new owners to be prepared to have a name ready so that we can complete all of the paperwork prior to them leaving my home with their new pup. I've not had anyone purchasing one of my pups have a problem with handling my request. They come prepared with their credit card and a name
    Vicky
    RTF Moderator
    http://www.oakdaleretrievers.com/Remembrance.html "You'll Cry"