The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media

Thread: AIRING > on Return

Default AIRING > on Return

Even with plenty of "airing" my 4 yo BLM while training finds that he has to 'lift his leg' while returning from a mark. It's kinda of frustrating, and i give him a Harsh "NO", but that's not correcting this 'Piss Poor' behavior.... Any suggestions?

Here "nick" here
    Southland Dixe's Hunter Boy, JH (Hunter)
    Triple J's Hotta Habanera Mo Betta, (Mo)
    Freezeland's Carbon Squared, (CC)

My Shadow was bad about doing that. When he stopped to pee I would nick him on here command. A few sessions of this correction and the issue went away.
    Wayne Nutt
    Go Nutts with dog training

HRCH Patton's Parker Co. Shadow "Shadow"
    HRCH Clineline Hijacker "Jack"
    HRCH Marks a Lot Midnight Hudson, SH "Hudson"-retired
    Castile Creek's Rawhide, SH "Rowdy"

Look at overall tightening up your obedience standard. Likely, there is other avoidance behavior to be addressed.
    Darrin Greene

He's not airing he's marking, not acceptable. HERE Nick with as much pressure as needed. We had a club trial I was judging this weekend and there was more than one dog that did this repeatedly one in particular did it on every bird in every series and lifted his leg on the handler each time on return, overall OB was not good either. Darrin where does the avoidence come in? In this case I believe it was more of a "I'm the one running the show and your just here taking birds" situation overall lack of respect for the handler..

It's marking, and also can be looked at as "delay of game", letting the dog keep the bird for a little longer. Here means here, and it means now. I don't let my dogs mark when they're airing either. If they've gotta pee, then pee.....anything after that initial pee is marking and not permitted. Set a standard and stick to it.
    Sharon Potter

www.redbranchkennels.net

Chesapeake Bay Retrievers...too many to list.

Team Huntsmith

Quote Originally Posted by Todd Caswell View Post
    He's not airing he's marking, not acceptable. HERE Nick with as much pressure as needed. We had a club trial I was judging this weekend and there was more than one dog that did this repeatedly one in particular did it on every bird in every series and lifted his leg on the handler each time on return, overall OB was not good either. Darrin where does the avoidence come in? In this case I believe it was more of a "I'm the one running the show and your just here taking birds" situation overall lack of respect for the handler..
    I label anything other than sticking to the task at hand as "Avoidance" behavior Todd.

I had one once that would pick up one bumper at the first blind, two at the second, three at the third (yea he was a big SOB). HE would mark on the way back too. Generally slow to come into heel. He was fairly dominant with the other dogs on the truck and while he was "OK" in the field, you could tell he just wanted to play his way and was avoiding coming back under handler control.

I had to convince the boss at the time to let me address the issue because he was adequate for his job (IDD). Boss allowed me to work on it with the caveat "we can't screw him up".

I took the dog under my wing for a couple of weeks and worked on his overall obedience, did some close range pile work to get rid of the shopping issue and some lining drills where I maintained absolutely strict control over him.

It only took a couple of weeks and he was much more compliant, picking up a single bumper and returning brisky. Overall, he was a better dog for it.

That's just one example but I see a lot of this in my obedience practice, particularly with inconsistent owners when we introduce the e-collar.

I really think it's the dog's attention wandering more than anything, as opposed to a "respect" issue. I just use the term "avoidance" for it because that's what I thought people here would relate to.

Not sure if that's what up with this particular dog, of course, but I would suspect that "marking" is a symptom of a bigger issue (as you and Sharon both eluded). Rather than teach the dog not to "mark" I think the real therapy would be to teach the dog to pay better attention and learn the difference between work time and free time.
    Darrin Greene

Quote Originally Posted by DarrinGreene View Post
    I label anything other than sticking to the task at hand as "Avoidance" behavior Todd.

I had one once that would pick up one bumper at the first blind, two at the second, three at the third (yea he was a big SOB). HE would mark on the way back too. Generally slow to come into heel. He was fairly dominant with the other dogs on the truck and while he was "OK" in the field, you could tell he just wanted to play his way and was avoiding coming back under handler control.

I had to convince the boss at the time to let me address the issue because he was adequate for his job (IDD). Boss allowed me to work on it with the caveat "we can't screw him up".

I took the dog under my wing for a couple of weeks and worked on his overall obedience, did some close range pile work to get rid of the shopping issue and some lining drills where I maintained absolutely strict control over him.

It only took a couple of weeks and he was much more compliant, picking up a single bumper and returning brisky. Overall, he was a better dog for it.

That's just one example but I see a lot of this in my obedience practice, particularly with inconsistent owners when we introduce the e-collar.

I really think it's the dog's attention wandering more than anything, as opposed to a "respect" issue. I just use the term "avoidance" for it because that's what I thought people here would relate to.

Not sure if that's what up with this particular dog, of course, but I would suspect that "marking" is a symptom of a bigger issue (as you and Sharon both eluded). Rather than teach the dog not to "mark" I think the real therapy would be to teach the dog to pay better attention and learn the difference between work time and free time.
    Great post!
    Redstars Hayseed Bo ..... "Butch"

Tx for the suggestions.....I'm just a little hesitant on givng "Nicks" > while they have a bumper/bird in their mouth, with the thought they might associate the Nick with the bumper. > But i'll work on correcting the behavior. I'll agree it's definetly marking, it always seems to happen when he's 80 yds or more out.

....guess we'll re-title the post "MARKING > on Return"...