The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Charles Barkley

Quote Originally Posted by BonMallari View Post
    Never said he wasnt or without faults, but look at his situation, a black athlete playing in the south at Auburn, and then Philly and then traded like a piece of meat around the league...

Remember CB is the one who said "...dont make me a role model for your kids..." or something to that effect...

The NBA needs to invoke a Marge Schott type rule to deal with Donald Sterling, he is a racist , just ask Elgin Baylor....
    First... Nobody made him play at Auburn. Second, he was the big man on Campus while there. Third... Philly? Really?

Fourth... Is this still the USA? If someone wants to be a racist dumbass... They can say anything they want. No one is forced to buy their product or sign a contract to work/play for them.

Freedom of speech is just that... It doesn't mean anyone has to listen.
    Bill Davis

Quote Originally Posted by Down East Labs 217 View Post

Double standards are rampant and will continue until people of all colors and creeds realize prejudice goes both ways equally and it will not be tolerated equally. Currently it only goes one way and the responses on this thread prove it.

Richard
    So you still think what Barkley said is on the same level as what Sterling said??? I don't.

Barkley pointed out a fact ... a statistic. Sterling tried to intimidate someone from bringing another to a game based on their race. Sterling's actions call for a reprimand. Barkley's do not.

To recognize differences in people is not bigotry or racism. To ACT upon it is.

If I'm in a bar and you come in and say, "I'm looking for Bob Smith. You know him?" and I answer, "Yes, he's that black guy over at that table." (Bob Smith is the only black guy at the table), that is not a racist reference.

If you reply, "What's he doing in here ... this is a white bar." I begin to wonder about you and the point of your question.

If you're the bartender and you spit in his beer, I'm pretty sure.

JS
    “Don’t wave your phony patriotism in MY face! If you really love America, open your wallet and hire an American kid to build what you buy. Think of all our problems that might solve.” Doug Fraser (paraphrased) 1980

Real Americans buy American.

Snowshoe's All American Guy SH, UDX, WCX ... CODY ... at the bridge
    CH. Snowshoe's Girl Crazy MH, UD, WCX, SDHF, OS ... PRESLEY
    ... at the bridge
    Millpond's Baby Boomer MH*** ... BABE
    Snowshoe's Crazy For Lovin You SH ... NELSON

Quote Originally Posted by JS View Post
    So you still think what Barkley said is on the same level as what Sterling said??? I don't.

Barkley pointed out a fact ... a statistic. Sterling tried to intimidate someone from bringing another to a game based on their race. Sterling's actions call for a reprimand. Barkley's do not.
    JS
    And this is a problem. We have different levels of acceptable racism. Both are racist comments. If a golfer or hockey player says this is a white league he will be looking for work the next day.

A black player makes the same comment it is laminated over.

Racism is racism, either it is all wrong or it is all right.

As for a statistic. Barkley did not say statics show there are more black than whites in the NBA. He stated the NBA is a black league. This implies whites are not in the NBA or welcome in the NBA it is a black league. You can manipulate his comments to mean what ever you want it to. Did he truly mean it to imply my last comment. I doubt it, however, the fact is he made a racist comment.

Richard

charles also said, and i paraphrase, "these black players made sterling rich!" i agree with 44 mag and contend it's actually sterling and others who take risks to own, staff and market these teams who make these players rich.

would these nba teams be what they are without today's "black" talent? likely not, but without the vision and resources of the former commisioner and the current owners, the nba wouldn't be as popular as it is today either.

how hard is it to be successful as an owner? ask the nba's best ever player micheal jordan.

is sterling a racist? sure he is, and at 80 he probably suffers from dementia too.

is barkley a racist? charles is no different from most black folk. i have stated here before that in my personal view, there is no explanation other than racism as to how any racial demographic could vote 94 out of 100 in a national election.

does the fact that charles is married to a white woman prove he is not racist? quite the contrary. ask black women how they feel about it. further more, he and his wife dated and married at auburn and it didn't seem to be a big issue at what everone seems to assume is a "racist southern university".

but my big question about that crazy freakin' sterling is this, what kind of girl is it in those pics that sterling was dating? did he think she was white?????
    john mccallie

Quote Originally Posted by Down East Labs 217 View Post
    And this is a problem. We have different levels of acceptable racism. Both are racist comments. If a golfer or hockey player says this is a white league he will be looking for work the next day.

A black player makes the same comment it is laminated over.

Racism is racism, either it is all wrong or it is all right.

As for a statistic. Barkley did not say statics show there are more black than whites in the NBA. He stated the NBA is a black league. This implies whites are not in the NBA or welcome in the NBA it is a black league. You can manipulate his comments to mean what ever you want it to. Did he truly mean it to imply my last comment. I doubt it, however, the fact is he made a racist comment.

Richard
    Well, if you can't tell the difference then we'll just have to agree to disagree. But for the record, the National Hockey League is referred to as a "white" game regularly on the sports talk shows. Usually everyone gets the humor in it.

And BTW, you do know one of Barkley's best friends is Wayne Gretzky, right. (look it up)

A few years back, a black friend of mine and I went to a halloween party dressed as salt & pepper shakers. Maybe that wouldn't work where you live but we were hits and won the giant pumpkin prize.

JS
    Last edited by JS; 04-28-2014 at 04:59 PM.
    “Don’t wave your phony patriotism in MY face! If you really love America, open your wallet and hire an American kid to build what you buy. Think of all our problems that might solve.” Doug Fraser (paraphrased) 1980

... at the bridge

Quote Originally Posted by JS View Post
    Well, if you can't tell the difference then we'll just have to agree to disagree. But for the record, the National Hockey League is referred to as a "white" game regularly on the sports talk shows. Usually everyone gets the humor in it.

And BTW, you do know one of Barkley's best friends is Wayne Gretzky, right. (look it up)

A few years back, a black friend of mine and I went to a halloween party dressed as salt & pepper shakers. Maybe that wouldn't work where you live but we were hits and won the giant pumpkin prize.

JS
    And somehow this makes your opinion on race relations a little more valid?
    Bill Davis

Quote Originally Posted by roseberry View Post

but my big question about that crazy freakin' sterling is this, what kind of girl is it in those pics that sterling was dating? did he think she was white?????

Come on man look at that woman, you know love is blind...did she think Donald was her age?
    power without lumber, raciness without weediness

A big man never looks down on others.... instead, he is someone to look up to.

Quote Originally Posted by huntinman View Post
    And somehow this makes your opinion on race relations a little more valid?
    No, it has nothing to do with anyone's opinion on race relations. It's just simple logic.

If you can't see the difference between what those two said, then explaining it to you is above my pay grade.

JS

... at the bridge

Quote Originally Posted by blind ambition View Post
    Come on man look at that woman, you know love is blind...did she think Donald was her age?

Nah, she thought he was RICH!!
    Any doctrine that weakens personal responsibility for judgment and for action helps create the attitudes that welcome and support the totalitarian state.
    (John Dewey)

Associate yourself with men of good quality if you esteem your own reputation; for 'tis better to be alone than in bad company.
    (George Washington)

Gig'em Aggies!! BTCO'77HOO t.u.!!

www.HughLieck.photoshelter.com

So if I say white men can't jump or Asians can't reach the bottom of the backboard is that racist
    All my Exes live in Texas

Quote Originally Posted by lanse brown View Post
    A few things that I learned still ring true. "Lanse when you get a gift, say thank you and walk away. When you get a screwing walk away. You are going to get a lot more screwings than gifts"