The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Had a little fun training with the GoPro . . .

Default Had a little fun training with the GoPro . . .

Finally broke down and bought a GoPro, then spent the weekend teaching myself the basics of video editing and how to use their software and App. Pretty cool device with lots of different applications for training, hunting etc. The dogs in the video are my CLM "Copper" (see pedigree below) and my Cousin's puppy "Major" - Texas Troubador X Fergie.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CHZ6HHjUgRU

very cool
    I have wondered about the gopro being able to see the dog all the way to a mark.
    I see you edit out once the dog disapears.
    do you know if a yellow dog will show up more better?
    or a big white stripe down Coppers back??

BTW KWS rocks, but I would have liked to have heard your whistle inflection on the blinds.
    "So what is big is not always the Trout nor the Deer but the chance, the being there. And what is full is not necessarily the creel nor the freezer, but the memory." ~ Aldo Leopold

"The Greatest Obstacle to Discovery is not Ignorance -- It is the Illusion of Knowledge" ~ Daniel Boorstin

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Bora View Post
    very cool
    I have wondered about the gopro being able to see the dog all the way to a mark.
    I see you edit out once the dog disapears.
    do you know if a yellow dog will show up more better?
    or a big white stripe down Coppers back??

BTW KWS rocks, but I would have liked to have heard your whistle inflection on the blinds.
    Thanks Ken - I agree with you and I tried to lower the volume of the audio track during the blind but for some reason when I did it wasn't saving that setting. This is only my second video so I'm still learning the software. I got away with it here because it was a simple one whistle angle/step back blind.

As far as seeing the dog run the mark, that is tricky. I'm going to try an elevated shot using a handlebar mount on a lightbulb changer to get the camera up over my head and see if that coupled with the zoom feature will help. These marks and blinds were only 200-250 and I still couldn't see the dog well - however the camera was fairly low, on top a 5 gallon bucket. I think if you keep the distances to a minimum, under 200yds and use an elevated camera that would help tremendously. Going to try that next time out.

The white stripe . . . . that made me laugh.

Get a tripod That helps...
    I found one at thrift store for $3
    "Some people pride themselves on how far they can shoot ducks, others pride themselves on how close they can get them. I'm an other!!! "
    John Stephens RNT

HRCH Wilson's Grand Prairie Pintail
    http://wilsonsretrievers.com/

Quote Originally Posted by i_willie12 View Post
    Get a tripod That helps...
    I found one at thrift store for $3
    Going to try that and the pole I bought which is 11 feet high, that should help.

Quote Originally Posted by Meleagris1 View Post
    .... I'm going to try an elevated shot using a handlebar mount on a lightbulb changer to get the camera up over my head......

be sure to post of photo of that!!
    "So what is big is not always the Trout nor the Deer but the chance, the being there. And what is full is not necessarily the creel nor the freezer, but the memory." ~ Aldo Leopold

"The Greatest Obstacle to Discovery is not Ignorance -- It is the Illusion of Knowledge" ~ Daniel Boorstin

Awesome! Been wanting a GoPro for a while now and this video didn't help my wait to save up some money to buy one at all.
    Hunt Hard, Dream Big, Aim Small
    Matthew 6:26
    War Eagle's AJ Abigail "Abbie"

This video looks good! Now I want to break down and go buy one...

I have one also and attached it to my head strap. I was running approximately 350 yard blinds and could barely see my dog at the end. I will try the elevated pole idea and see if I can get a bit more out of it. I also have the app for my phone so I can watch it real time on
    there.

Great video. I have been trying the dog mounted go pro with the SUGAR coat strap. It's a rocky video to watch plus I can't get it to stay mounted for too long. There is a lot of movement where the camera ends up falling off. I wouldn't bring it into a field or water for that matter for risk of losing the camera.