The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How to put a dollar value on a retriever.

Default How to put a dollar value on a retriever.

I am curious what the dollar value is on retrievers if i were to sell/buy them. I'm a trainer and have worked for a top notch training facility but have not dealt with the values of the dogs themselves. What would a ball park value be for labs that have went through ob, ff, singles, doubles, gun training and are fully ready to hunt with excellent drive and excellent perfomance? Also what would the difference be for the same dog without papers? How much value does 3 handed casting add when selling a dog?
    "if it flies it dies.....if it sits there, it dies too" - Phil Robertson

the answer is it depends. lol. Without papers, not much because you can't register them to breed. I've seen started dogs go anywhere from $2k-4500 with papers, currently up to date on shots, and SHR or JH title. maybe even HR title but that would require casting. It depends on who your marketing to, that person's intent(FT, Hunt Test, strictly hunting, breeding), and the dog. Your not going to be able to get someone to pay for a dog without papers unless they are using it strictly for hunting and have no intentions of running any kind of competition and even then, a lot of people want a full blooded dog with papers.

Another thing that could impact the price would be age and health clearances

It depends... If you are getting a divorce and the wife wants the value... The mutts aren't worth the food you feed them.

And some will try...
    Bill Davis

Quote Originally Posted by huntinman View Post
    It depends... If you are getting a divorce and the wife wants the value... The mutts aren't worth the food you feed them.

And some will try...

I disagree, full blooded dogs aren't for everyone. Some cannot afford them. I have a friend that has a golden/lab mix and its a jam up hunting dog and companion dog. As for hunt test, FT, etc., he has no interest in running his dog in those whether it was pure bred or not. His mutt is all he needs.

Quote Originally Posted by Tater 7 View Post
    I disagree, full blooded dogs aren't for everyone. Some cannot afford them. I have a friend that has a golden/lab mix and its a jam up hunting dog and companion dog. As for hunt test, FT, etc., he has no interest in running his dog in those whether it was pure bred or not. His mutt is all he needs.
    You really misunderstood that post!

Go to gundogsonline, gundogcentral, progundog, etc...and you can see what people are asking for various levels of training and compare the description to what your dogs will do. You will also need to consider pedigree and health guarantees as others have mentioned when figuring price. It will at least give you an idea of what the market is asking for started and finished dogs.

And some will try...

HAHAHAHA!!!!!!

Never tell her your guns are collectible either!!

Theys all just rusty pieces a junk!!!!
    It is far easier to spit on the work of others than it is to produce something better yourself.
    Brynmoors Prairie Sage JH ​(Sage) Just a dang fool huntin Dawg
    HRCH Calypso Seven Bales High SH (Bailey)
    HR Calypso Zoomin Loosies Mad Hader (Maddi) We loved you baby. R.I.P.
    FlatLanders Broken Pistol Ricochet SH (Flinch)

My Christian Name is Michael Baker..
    I have gone by "Gooser" since I was a "gossling"

And some will try...
    My brother gave away a nice one and his ex thought it went to a humane society. No co-ownership, but, the dog was bred three or four times after it was given away? Long time ago and my brother is deceased, ex probably doesn't know to this day (don't think she monitors this forum). I ended up with one of the pups from one of her litters. You gots to do what you gots to do!
    Earl Dillow

Quote Originally Posted by Criquetpas View Post
    My brother gave away a nice one and his ex thought it went to a humane society. No co-ownership, but, the dog was bred three or four times after it was given away? Long time ago and my brother is deceased, ex probably doesn't know to this day (don't think she monitors this forum). I ended up with one of the pups from one of her litters. You gots to do what you gots to do!
    Ain't that the truth!
    Bill Davis