The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Best timing to buy a competitive pup

Default Best timing to buy a competitive pup

Hi all,

I leave in Montréal, Québec, and up here we have to considered winter season when we want to buy a pup that will be a future competitive dog.
    Personally, i love to buy a pup that was born in August kinda, i / we do all obedience in late fall with single mark (concept), force training on winter time in the snow (using snow shoe, OUF!!!) and introduction to double mark (again snow shoe OUFF!!). No doubt pup / dog is behind on water but my cardio is better! When water temp is Ok move into swim by and ..........
    Wonder what that be for you guys.....i assume it most be different pending of location (states) and games pup / dog will run.

Thanks for sharing!

Regards,
    Alain Jetté
    AJTOP RETRIEVER
    www.ajtop.com

When the breeding you want is available.
    Bert Rodgers

AJ,

Will the pup be trained exclusively by you or will the pup go to a Pro sometime during its training?

Rbr, you are absolutely right! No question there! But let say you'd have the choice.
    RJ, both ways!
    Alain Jetté
    AJTOP RETRIEVER
    www.ajtop.com

I personally like to have my pup come home early to mid winter. The pup can be a pup and go through "puppy school" and by the time it is spring we are running complicated singles with easy doubles and simple trips for memory. One down side is the pup will be on the force table in the middle of summer. I usually combat this with shorter sessions in the coolest area I can find (my table is in a "barn" with fans surrounding the table. The best part is the pup is ready for water work when the water is the warmest and when land work alone can be to hot. I do my training myself, live in NC, and my dogs compete in hunt tests at the master level (they are titled but we still run for the fun of it). I believe this to be one of the fastest routes, but as you mentioned your weather is much different than mine.

My two cents, hope it helps.

Bholt75 thanks for sharing,
    Way much different up here, like you guy we had a terrible cold winter and it is still cold, haven't train in water yet. Way to cold and our first Hunt test trial is June 7 - 8.
    Normally we start training in water around first week of May and it won't happen, imagine our lake still covered of black ice while some other just unfroze.
    Alain Jetté
    AJTOP RETRIEVER
    www.ajtop.com

Alain, your website gives every indication that you know what you're doing with retrievers. I just want to say bring back les Expos de Montreal, viva le rouge, blanc et bleu!

MG

Crackerd thanks! Nice picture!
    Les Expos Nos amours......look like you have heard that there is a lobby leading by Warren Cromartie for having the Expos back here.
    Even thought there was close to 100k people for the 2 off season Blue Jays games played here @ the big O (Olympique stadium) a month ago, i don't believe it will happen. To many $ for new concession.
    Alain Jetté
    AJTOP RETRIEVER
    www.ajtop.com

Quote Originally Posted by Alain View Post
    ...don't believe it will happen. To many $ for new concession.
    Je suis d'accord, Alain - as mon ami Pierre Mathieu might say, Quebec c'est poulet

in pulling the trigger again on "les MLB."

MG

You must have been an Expos fan!
    You sure know some folk here...
    Alain Jetté
    AJTOP RETRIEVER
    www.ajtop.com