The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Best timing to buy a competitive pup

I have house trained one puppy in summer and four others in the dead of winter. I definitely prefer taking the little buggers out to air at 3:00 AM during summer!
    "For everyone to whom much is given, of him shall much be required." -- Luke 12:48

Raven - Moneybird's Black Magic Marker***
    (Esprit's Power Play x Trumarc's Lean Cuisine)
    Mick - Moneybird's Jumpin' Jack Flash***
    (Clubmead's Road Warrior x Oakdale Whitewater Devil Dog)
    Peerless - Moneybird's Sole Survivor
    (Two River's Lucky Willie x Moneybird's Black Magic Marker)

I got my guy mid March last year and I think it was pretty perfect. He was at the right age to introduce water when it became warm enough and I didn't have to deal with tons of snow when housebreaking him. If I could pick a perfect time to get a pup, I would say that is it.

I have done the puppy thing in MN winters (15-20 below 0) to MA summers (85-90 above) and as someone else stated it is the breeding and your personal circumstances which should determine when. Currently , my current pup of 14 months is behind by my standards (of about 5 months) due to family illness/demands. Life has a way of changing plans. My goal was an AA dog so I will have to see if it happens. I prefer training my own dogs when possible.

After the kids are raised and college is paid for, but before you have grandchildren.
    Just for the record I have very fine dogs. Some of the best in the whole country....or at least on my own block anyhow.

If I were buying a pup that was going to be competitive, I would buy it as soon as possible

AJ Bought my pup based on what I really wanted in pedigree. Got him in December (27th) and we are ready to do a Started HRC test May 3rd. If I was to do this again based on the bad bad winter we had in SW Ont, I would do it so I could get more spring training opportunity and be further along in teaching the pup. Usually we are in the water much earlier than May. We have been in running water March this year. So if I got a pup I would consider a Feb puppy and be able to work and teach him all summer and have him running in the fall. But I have to first find the right breeding! JMHO
    HRCH Scaupgetters Tarnation QAA

HR Blackie 2 CGN, WCI

Metras's Hashtag Mickey

hmm just watching this year, the FT circuit (at least around here) seems the vast amount of derby dogs age out mid-march at the latest. So if you wanted to run derby having a dog that didn't age out until June-Sept. might be pretty advantageous. Gives you a few months to run when your dog is at the top of it's skill set and the younger dogs who are at about a year aren't seasoned yet. After derby it doesn't seem to matter as there's no time limit on any other stake.
    Last edited by Hunt'EmUp; 04-29-2014 at 02:46 PM.
    "They's Just DAWGS"
    "Hunting is a skill to be learned whether you do it early or late it still needs to be learned"
    "I train dogs, Not papers"

GMRH-I HRCH Quick MH (most importantly Duck/Upland Enthusiast) Rip. July-2014
    MHR HRCH Lakota MH (most importantly Upland/Duck Enthusiast)
    HR Storm.. the Pup (Beginning Upland & Waterfowl Enthusiast)

Quote Originally Posted by DSemple View Post
    After the kids are raised and college is paid for, but before you have grandchildren.
    That could leave a pretty narrow window!
    "For everyone to whom much is given, of him shall much be required." -- Luke 12:48

Raven - Moneybird's Black Magic Marker***
    (Esprit's Power Play x Trumarc's Lean Cuisine)
    Mick - Moneybird's Jumpin' Jack Flash***
    (Clubmead's Road Warrior x Oakdale Whitewater Devil Dog)
    Peerless - Moneybird's Sole Survivor
    (Two River's Lucky Willie x Moneybird's Black Magic Marker)

Hunt'emUp...make sense! Were are you from?
    Thanks all!
    Alain Jetté
    AJTOP RETRIEVER
    www.ajtop.com

I'm on the west coast, not sure if the trend is the same elsewhere, should be easy to find out just got to trace the derby dogs on EE, there's usually a time period (couple of months) where derby entries decline; which seems to point to a transition btw older dogs aging out and younger dogs getting ready to come in. There's also seems to be an up regulation in young Qual dogs, about the same time.
    Last edited by Hunt'EmUp; 04-29-2014 at 05:47 PM.
    "They's Just DAWGS"
    "Hunting is a skill to be learned whether you do it early or late it still needs to be learned"
    "I train dogs, Not papers"

GMRH-I HRCH Quick MH (most importantly Duck/Upland Enthusiast) Rip. July-2014
    MHR HRCH Lakota MH (most importantly Upland/Duck Enthusiast)
    HR Storm.. the Pup (Beginning Upland & Waterfowl Enthusiast)