The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media

Thread: The Invisible Enemy

Default The Invisible Enemy

For several months now another forum would always have advertisements that are not their Sponsors right below the heading name. Sometimes it would just be a messages like "Your computer is at risk", "Your browser is out of date" or "Click here to view your private messages."

Often times the strange "link" would related to recent searches of mine. For instance, recently I went on line to retrieve a Reflex Shock Absorber refund form (just had four installed). A week later this page is asking me to click on a link supposedly leading to the same brand. Do people actually click on "out of the blue" links like that?

A few days ago I received a call from VISA fraud about my Cabela's charge card. Evidently, Sunday morning someone ran a $50 charge in Mexico City. Fortunately, it was immediately flagged. Of course, the credit card must be replaced with a new number. It's not a big deal......or maybe it is.

Several months ago a very large chain grocery store called Shnucks had their credit card information compromised. My wife's credit card was used several times in Canada and our disabled Granddaughters' SSI debit card was "cleaned out" about the same time. Again they were flagged, but it took months for the credit card company to allow our claim.....even though it was their security that was breached.

And of course, there were several hoops to jump through and missing any one of them would have prevented a refund. In fact, the refund was refused once. Basically, that refusal was a routine "test" to see how much of a fight we would put up to defend our position. The refund was finally granted and a few days later a letter was received saying it was cancelled. It was the final hoop. We complained again an they finally gave in.

My newest computer virus program often "says" "Your computer was just protected from 1416 threats today". How would I know? Their latest thing is "Now you can use this tool called an icon vault to store sensitive material right on your screen." Should I really believe that?

Awhile back when trying to install their well known Virus program it would not download. A support person was contacted and using rather quick, cooperative technology he was able to access my computer. I could watch him manipulate the cursor to locate the problem(s). It was kind of "spooky" at how easy it was for him to "look around" and "change things".

I recently upgraded our home safety preparations which involved FOID cards, hand gun instruction and pending CCW classes. However, it seems most of our threats are so far removed that physical home invasion may be the least of our worries.
    Jim Boyer www.kwicklabs.com
    KwickLabs Fountain of Youth - Pounce
    MPR UH HRCH Kwick Taffey of Joemac's MH
    HR Kwick Daisy's Spirit Keeper SH
    Kwick Kooly Dew It Allstar SH
    HR Kwick Draw McGraw SH (June, 2007 - May, 2014)

That is a lot of activity. you may want to get a Life Lock subscription.

2 year sago I forgot my credit card at the mechanics. They called and let me know that it was there and would be locked up. I went and got it the next day. the following morning there was $600 charged to my account. The wife caught it because she was checking our accounts. One was for some clothes and the other was for a Garmin GPS. I called the companies and cancelled the orders. As an afterthought I asked for the mailing address so I could give the police. They wouldn't do it because they were afraid they would be liable if I showed up at the address. Worked out Ok for me, but it is pretty scary stuff.
    During break time at obedience school, two dogs were talking.
    One said to the other..."The thing I hate about obedience school is you learn ALL this stuff you will never use in the real world."

Be very careful when allowing anyone to 'access' your PC. I have had a couple of experiences where I went into a website to fix my PC. Like a Dell website or Sony website (different computers). Both times, although I typed in the website address, I later found out that someone had set up a shadow website that looks and acts just like the true, Dell or Sony websites. Then if in the work on line, they require you to grant access to your computer, they actually set up your PC so that everything you do comes through there system, and of course they steal everything in your PC. Scary stuff...so trust no one! I had this also happen in my web access provider, I called them because my internet connection was not working consistently. About half way though our conversation they tried to sell me software (first clue), then they wanted access to my PC (second clue) as the problem was happening on my Ipad and TV Wifi access. Neither of these require my PC to even be on to access the internet. So why were they wanting in my PC? I hung up on them, and found a new 800 number for my CenturyLink provider......

Just be careful, trust no one, verify everything, before anyone has access...

A Prince from Nigeria called me the other day to tell me he needed help getting 17 mill out of the country and all i needed to do was give him my ss#,dob & account # so the money could be wired to my checking account. He seemed legit and very polite
    "Character is doing the right thing when nobody is watching"....J.C. Watts

That's my boy "Blue"!!!! Flyin High in the Passenger Side x Katie May of Belgrade

Quote Originally Posted by Raymond Little View Post
    A Prince from Nigeria called me the other day to tell me he needed help getting 17 mill out of the country and all i needed to do was give him my ss#,dob & account # so the money could be wired to my checking account. He seemed legit and very polite
    Don't you guys have caller ID? I never answer the phone if I don't recognize the number, and if I do mistakenly, I hang up as soon as I get "hello, is (full name) home"?
    Jonathon

“Write your own book instead of reading someone else’s book about success” H. Brooks

Quote Originally Posted by HuntClub View Post
    Don't you guys have caller ID? I never answer the phone if I don't recognize the number, and if I do mistakenly, I hang up as soon as I get "hello, is (full name) home"?
    Maybe he already knew the Prince....?

"Little Red Corvette"?
    "Character is doing the right thing when nobody is watching"....J.C. Watts