The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media

Thread: A Constitutional Amendment to Limit Political Speech?

Default A Constitutional Amendment to Limit Political Speech?

Senate Democrats will schedule a vote this year on a constitutional amendment to reform campaign finance as they face tens of millions of dollars worth of attack ads from conservative groups. The Senate will vote on an amendment sponsored by Sen. Tom Udall (D-N.M.) that would overturn two recent court cases that have given corporations, labor unions and wealthy individuals free rein to spend freely on federal races.

“The Supreme Court is trying to take this country back to the days of the robber barons, allowing dark money to flood our elections. That needs to stop, and it needs to stop now,” said Senate Rules Committee Chairman Charles Schumer (D-N.Y.), who announced the plan. “The only way to undo the damage the court has done is to pass Senator Udall’s amendment to the Constitution, and Senate Democrats are going to try to do that,” he said...
    Am I mistaken that the Dems also have some hefty donors from Wall Street, Hollywood, etc.?
    G.Clinchy@gmail.com
    "Know in your heart that all things are possible. We couldn't conceive of a miracle if none ever happened." -Libby Fudim

​I don't use the PM feature, so just email me direct at the address shown above.

Everyone has donors..what's new?
    Zeus

I don't want to feed an ugly dog!

I think they meant FREE speech.
    Bill Davis

It's a "look at us", we're for you common people. They're for big business, big money. Nice setup for the mid terms. I'd love to read the fine print on this one.
    Jonathon

“Write your own book instead of reading someone else’s book about success” H. Brooks

Quote Originally Posted by zeus3925 View Post
    Everyone has donors..what's new?
    Exactly. Except, according to Reid, only the Rs have those megadonors.
    G.Clinchy@gmail.com
    "Know in your heart that all things are possible. We couldn't conceive of a miracle if none ever happened." -Libby Fudim

​I don't use the PM feature, so just email me direct at the address shown above.

If money = speech, then why can't I just talk my bills away?
    "For everyone to whom much is given, of him shall much be required." -- Luke 12:48

Raven - Moneybird's Black Magic Marker***
    (Esprit's Power Play x Trumarc's Lean Cuisine)
    Mick - Moneybird's Jumpin' Jack Flash***
    (Clubmead's Road Warrior x Oakdale Whitewater Devil Dog)
    Peerless - Moneybird's Sole Survivor
    (Two River's Lucky Willie x Moneybird's Black Magic Marker)

Quote Originally Posted by Gerry Clinchy View Post
    Exactly. Except, according to Reid, only the Rs have those megadonors.
    Of course you know it isn't true. The game is aimed at crippling the opposition. Both sides play the game.
    Zeus

I don't want to feed an ugly dog!

Money has so encompassed politics that amassing it has overtaken the importance of amassing popular support. A recent study by Penn State and Northwestern University found that the United States wasn't even a democracy anymore, but an oligarchy based on laws that were passed that were not supported by popular opinion, but were well funded by special interest dollars. A finding that I find to be dead on accurate. many Senators have talked about over half of their time is spent raising money. You wonder why they don't read the bills? It is no longer about having good ideas or a vision for leading the country, it is about who can be the first to sell out voters to the largest global companies.

I will have to read the proposed amendment, but in principle I am on board for something to happen.
    During break time at obedience school, two dogs were talking.
    One said to the other..."The thing I hate about obedience school is you learn ALL this stuff you will never use in the real world."

Sorry it was Princeton not Penn State.

http://www.princeton.edu/~mgilens/Gi...s%203-7-14.pdf
    During break time at obedience school, two dogs were talking.
    One said to the other..."The thing I hate about obedience school is you learn ALL this stuff you will never use in the real world."