The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 11

Thread: Nasty Ears

  1. #1
    Member willidru's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Northern California
    Posts
    84

    Default Nasty Ears

    Anyone know what this might (see photo) be found this morning on my 6 month old in her ears. Planning to run her buy the vet, but was hoping I might not need to. Black and nasty.
    Attached Images Attached Images

  2. #2
    Senior Member Breck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Elverson, PA
    Posts
    2,436

    Default

    Otitis Externa
    Go online and buy a bottle of T8 Keto ear cleaner for starters.
    Do a search on rtf, my name and Otitis and you'll find a bunch of info from a vet at Colorado State.
    .
    With this dog probably need to flush & clean often. If dog shakes head when it gets up, clean. Stick your nose in ear, stinks? Clean. Could be bacteria or yeast. Often it's yeast which is where any drug ending in "zole" helps like T8 Keto.
    etc etc etc
    Last edited by Breck; 05-01-2014 at 04:51 PM.
    "Darla" AFC Candlewoods Lil Smokin Tequila (2002-2013)(fondly remembered)
    "Smoke" Smokin Auggies Menace, QAA (2003- )(retired nut case, ask Rando)
    "Simba" Humewood Simba (1999-2014)(my 1st dog)

    .
    Per favore, non mi rompere i coglioni.
    Grazie




  3. #3
    Senior Member Breck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Elverson, PA
    Posts
    2,436

    Default

    http://www.dcavm.org/05techapr.html
    Here is link to one of the doctor Rosychuk lecture notes.

    For more useful docs on ears & skin do a google search on his name and site www.dcavm.org
    "Darla" AFC Candlewoods Lil Smokin Tequila (2002-2013)(fondly remembered)
    "Smoke" Smokin Auggies Menace, QAA (2003- )(retired nut case, ask Rando)
    "Simba" Humewood Simba (1999-2014)(my 1st dog)

    .
    Per favore, non mi rompere i coglioni.
    Grazie




  4. #4
    Senior Member Rainmaker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    NW WI
    Posts
    3,696

    Default

    I would have vet look in ears to make sure first. While it is most likely yeast, if there's a middle or inner ear involvement, you may need antibiotics. If there's a burst eardrum from infection, while not likely to have progressed that far in a 6 month old, you never know, and you don't necessarily want to be flushing stuff down her ears if so. Vet check first then you can stock up on home treatment.
    Kim Pfister, Rainmaker Labs

  5. #5
    Senior Member BentleysMom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    264

    Default

    Totally agree with Rainmaker. I have a female lab that went to the vet years ago that had ears that looked like that, even more red also. Was yeast and bacteria infection. Now we clean weekly to keep up on the issue. If it starts getting a little nasty we use the medicated ear cleaner otherwise just plain ear cleaner works fine. Seems to be some kind of an allergy, never figured it out.

  6. #6

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Rainmaker View Post
    I would have vet look in ears to make sure first. While it is most likely yeast, if there's a middle or inner ear involvement, you may need antibiotics. If there's a burst eardrum from infection, while not likely to have progressed that far in a 6 month old, you never know, and you don't necessarily want to be flushing stuff down her ears if so. Vet check first then you can stock up on home treatment.

    Please follow this advice. I had two dogs that never had ear problems no matter how much they would swim. A third dog needed her ears cleaned and watched constantly. Very painful for your pup if they get infected and left untreated for even a short time.

  7. #7
    Senior Member Tater 7's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Auburn, AL
    Posts
    136

    Default

    Looks like yeast infection. mine had ears like that about that age. ears are growing faster than the rest of the body and water can be trapped in them causing a yeast infection. Vet proscribed some antibiotics and scented alcohol based ear cleaner. every couple days after mine has been in water, I put a couple drops of ear cleaner in and it drys everything up and cleans her ears out. not an infection sense

  8. #8
    Senior Member copterdoc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    NW IL
    Posts
    2,540

    Default

    Treat the infection, and if it comes back, change the dog's food.
    Once you find a food that the dog doesn't get ear infections on, stick with that food.

    I believe that ear infections are almost always the result of a food allergy.
    They start as yeast infections and often develop into a secondary bacterial infection.


    The infection needs to be treated first. However, the dog's immune system should be able to prevent it's recurrence. There is no need to dump concoctions of preventive in a dog's ears. You need to figure out why it's immune system isn't working right.
    Considering the fact that God limited the intelligence of man, it seems unfair that he did not also limit his stupidity". -Unknown

  9. #9
    Senior Member Tater 7's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Auburn, AL
    Posts
    136

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by copterdoc View Post
    Treat the infection, and if it comes back, change the dog's food.
    Once you find a food that the dog doesn't get ear infections on, stick with that food.

    I believe that ear infections are almost always the result of a food allergy.
    They start as yeast infections and often develop into a secondary bacterial infection.


    The infection needs to be treated first. However, the dog's immune system should be able to prevent it's recurrence. There is no need to dump concoctions of preventive in a dog's ears. You need to figure out why it's immune system isn't working right.
    I'm not a vet but I would think that if were food allergies, then it would have more symptoms than just an ear infection

  10. #10
    Senior Member copterdoc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    NW IL
    Posts
    2,540

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tater 7 View Post
    I'm not a vet but I would think that if were food allergies, then it would have more symptoms than just an ear infection
    You don't have to listen to me if you don't want to.

    Do some research, and make up your own mind.

    Me personally, I am now convinced that ear infections (the chronic ones) have nothing to do with being in the water, or the dog's ears not being cleaned frequently enough.

    They are due to a problem with the dog's immune system not being able to prevent them.
    And I have found that changing the dog's food usually resolves the problem completely and permanently.
    Considering the fact that God limited the intelligence of man, it seems unfair that he did not also limit his stupidity". -Unknown

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •