RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

Nasty Ears

2K views 10 replies 8 participants last post by  Trifecta 
#1 ·
Anyone know what this might (see photo) be found this morning on my 6 month old in her ears. Planning to run her buy the vet, but was hoping I might not need to. Black and nasty.

Attachments

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
Otitis Externa
Go online and buy a bottle of T8 Keto ear cleaner for starters.
Do a search on rtf, my name and Otitis and you'll find a bunch of info from a vet at Colorado State.
With this dog probably need to flush & clean often. If dog shakes head when it gets up, clean. Stick your nose in ear, stinks? Clean. Could be bacteria or yeast. Often it's yeast which is where any drug ending in "zole" helps like T8 Keto.
etc etc etc

#4 ·
I would have vet look in ears to make sure first. While it is most likely yeast, if there's a middle or inner ear involvement, you may need antibiotics. If there's a burst eardrum from infection, while not likely to have progressed that far in a 6 month old, you never know, and you don't necessarily want to be flushing stuff down her ears if so. Vet check first then you can stock up on home treatment.

#5 ·
Totally agree with Rainmaker. I have a female lab that went to the vet years ago that had ears that looked like that, even more red also. Was yeast and bacteria infection. Now we clean weekly to keep up on the issue. If it starts getting a little nasty we use the medicated ear cleaner otherwise just plain ear cleaner works fine. Seems to be some kind of an allergy, never figured it out.

#7 ·
Looks like yeast infection. mine had ears like that about that age. ears are growing faster than the rest of the body and water can be trapped in them causing a yeast infection. Vet proscribed some antibiotics and scented alcohol based ear cleaner. every couple days after mine has been in water, I put a couple drops of ear cleaner in and it drys everything up and cleans her ears out. not an infection sense

#8 ·
Treat the infection, and if it comes back, change the dog's food.
Once you find a food that the dog doesn't get ear infections on, stick with that food.

I believe that ear infections are almost always the result of a food allergy.
They start as yeast infections and often develop into a secondary bacterial infection.

The infection needs to be treated first. However, the dog's immune system should be able to prevent it's recurrence. There is no need to dump concoctions of preventive in a dog's ears. You need to figure out why it's immune system isn't working right.

#11 ·
I've seen lots of dogs with inhalant/environmental allergies and food allergies have nasty ears.

PLEASE let your vet look in there before you clean or medicate. You want to make sure the ear drum is intact before putting anything in there.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.