The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Trifexis... Beware

Default Trifexis... Beware

My 17 mo old BLF has been on Trifexis for the last 6 or 7 months and pretty much has had no problems with it that I noticed. That is, up until a few days ago. I gave her the regularly scheduled monthly dose on Sunday night. Monday afternoon when I got home from work, all was well... she was happy and energetic, everything seemed normal. A short while later I sat down to relax and she went to sleep on the couch. After about an hour I noticed she was still sleeping, which was unusual because it was her supper time. I said the word "hungry" and like always her ears perked up. But I noticed she looked like she was having problems getting up, and she had a glazed look in her eyes. I picked her up and sat her down on the floor and she fell down! Her back end had completely given out on her and she couldn't walk or stand. I immediately searched the house and yard for anything she could have gotten into, but nothing. By this time the vet was closed and they did not answer their emergency number. I thought maybe she'd snap out of it so I just let her sleep it off. Around 11:30 my wife got home from work. After some quick googling, we were afraid maybe she had a bad infection in the uterus or something. So, by midnight or so, we were off to the emergency clinic about an hour away. They checked her out, vital signs were fine, normal heart rhythm, etc. I was baffled when they walked her out of the back room on a leash and she was wagging her tail. Vet said maybe an adverse reaction to the Trifexis, but wasn't sure. They advised us to let her sleep it off and check her out in the morning. By morning, Betty was no better. She still could not get up on her own and could barely stand on her own. When she'd squat to piss she'd fall over. So, that morning my wife took her in to our normal vet for a visit. Again, vital signs were all good. Our vet was certain that it was a bad reaction to the Trifexis, and he actually called the company to make a complaint because this was the second dog that came through his office for the same problems. He sent Betty home with advice to let her rest, but he wasn't 100% sure how she'd recover. Thankfully, by today, she seems to be pretty much back to normal... although she does still seem to be sleeping quite a bit. At least she's running around on her own again!

This was an extremely frightening couple of days for us. Obviously she's a family companion, but as I watched her lay around, half-paralyzed, I couldn't help but think of all the hours of training and all the money that's gone into her. To think, all that could seemingly be taken away by a stupid pill... Just because it's a convenient "all-in-one" type of medication. Scary stuff for sure.

I know this is a rarity, but after researching it online I found many similar stories involving the same medication. I never thought she'd have any side effects since she had done so well on it months prior, but I guess that the past "success" with it was totally irrelevant. Live and learn I guess. I know one thing, I won't be giving my dog this drug ever again, and I certainly won't recommend it to anyone else either. Just doesn't seem worth the risk to me.

I'm sorry that happened. Very scary indeed. I gave up administering any type of maintenance drugs to my dogs years ago. I'm a believer of over-medicating/over-vaccinating and steer clear of what I consider any unnecessary drugs. Hearing your story only makes me stronger in my opinion and belief. Glad your girl is ok.

Sorry to hear that Jim! Def a scary situation. Sarge has been on it for the last 6 months and when he had his annual exam I asked to go back to Heartguard/Sentinel just bc I didn't like the affects I was seeing with him as well. Glad to hear Betty is doing well as I know how much time/energy/and love you've put into her.
    Sargent Taylor's Hevi-Shot (Sarge)

Quote Originally Posted by Rutin View Post
    Sorry to hear that Jim! Def a scary situation. Sarge has been on it for the last 6 months and when he had his annual exam I asked to go back to Heartguard/Sentinel just bc I didn't like the affects I was seeing with him as well. Glad to hear Betty is doing well as I know how much time/energy/and love you've put into her.
    Thanks. And I'm glad to hear you took Sarge off of it. We invest way too much into these animals to have them jeopardized by supposed safe medications.

Would like to hear from some of the docs on the forum regarding Trifexis...
    Bill Davis

My pup is on trifexis, but after reading that I will be going back to Heartguard and a flea preventative like I've been using for years with my other dogs. Thanks for sharing.

My pups been on trifexis since she was 8 weeks old and she's now 16 months. Haven't had a problem out of it and hope I never do. I think it's like anything else, just freak reactions

I am sorry about your dog's serious reaction to Trifexis.

The warning label on Trifexis in Europe states not to give Trifexis more than 6 consecutive months
    http://www.ema.europa.eu/docs/en_GB/...C500152460.pdf

Also, clearly states on their product label that it has not been evaluated for pregnant or breeding animals.

http://vitalanimal.com/trifexis-hoax/

I am glad to hear your vet made a report. Report adverse drug reactions to Elanco Animal Health at 1-888-545-5973 or to the FDA 1-888-FDA-VETS. or to the United States Food and Drug Administration
    Last edited by frontier; 05-01-2014 at 10:17 PM.
    Terrie Tomlinson
    Frontier Retrievers
    HR Five Star Winning Sue SH
    Young Guns: Frontier's True Grit With a Cause "Rooster" and Frontier's Gossip Girl With A Cause "Gabby"
    Boykin Spaniels: Max, Scarlet, Rummy, Jewels, Bella, Molly, and Piper

In Memory:
    HRCH Frontier's Cherokee Rebel MH (5-9-2000 to 12-6-2011)
    Moonstone's Little Girl Found MH (3-20-1998 to 5-2-2008)
    Calebri's Take the Money and Run JH (3-3-2008 to 6-20-2012)

A google search just using the brand name brings up a bunch of articles of interest.
    Andrea Wolfe

Home of:
    Rebels River Raider (FC AFC Rebel With A Cause X FC AFC Yellowstone's TNT Explosion daughter)

Kodiak's Rocky Mountain Rebel SH (3/4 sister to Raider)

Quote Originally Posted by frontier View Post
    I am sorry about your dog's serious reaction to Trifexis.

The warning label on Trifexis in Europe states not to give Trifexis more than 6 consecutive months
    http://www.ema.europa.eu/docs/en_GB/...C500152460.pdf

Also, clearly states on their product label that it has not been evaluated for pregnant or breeding animals.

http://vitalanimal.com/trifexis-hoax/

I am glad to hear your vet made a report. Report adverse drug reactions to Elanco Animal Health at 1-888-545-5973 or to the FDA 1-888-FDA-VETS. or to the United States Food and Drug Administration
    Thank you for sharing the European analysis. Interesting that it says NOT to give more than 6 consecutive months or to puppies under 14 weeks and that a reaction of vomiting is common. Other reactions include lethargy... Sounds like Betty had severe lethargy. So glad she is OK now.

My vet clinic gives Trifexis to new puppy owners for free. When I went in with my three month old, they offered it to me. I had no idea it was controversial and I'm sure they didn't either. It was a fluke that I had just given Advantage, so I didn't take the free Trifexis. They gave me a sample of NexGard for ticks, instead. Think I'll print out the EU info and take it in.