The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Force to pile question

Exclamation Force to pile question

Finally picking my training with butch back up. Built a new house and we were living with family so it suffered for 6 months. He's 16 months old now so we are a little behind I'm sure. Either way we are working on force to pile now. Everything was going good on the third set I did something that I guess was stupid. I moved the pile back. When I sent him he went to the original location just looked around and came back. I guess my question is why wouldn't he continue on the line until he sees it. It was on the same line as the previous just farther. At first I was moving myself back as He was on his way to create longer distance.

Don't move the pile back, you move back. JMO
    HRCH Scaupgetters Tarnation QAA
    HR Blackie 2 CGN, WCI
    Metras's Hashtag Mickey

"Knowing how important right timing is in accomplishing right actions"
    Uncle Ray

I realize it was dumb. I guess I wanted to see if he would just continue on the line.

Like Mary said, you move back. Remember, you are teaching not testing.
    Paula

Dixie's Southern Comfort IV, MH

“The beauty of the Second Amendment is it will not be needed until they try to take it.” - Thomas Jefferson

If you move the pile. Make sure you throw a bumper and mark the pile. this should help if you have to move the pile. I agree with the others, your teaching, not testing. Make it simple so they can learn. Also, if you just moved the pile back instead of moving back, send your dog out. If it stops where the old pile was, blow the whistle sit command, and give him a back cast to the new pile. I would definitely mark it though if your just getting into FTP until you start gettin into the Single T drills.

Quote Originally Posted by Mary Lynn Metras View Post
    Don't move the pile back, you move back. JMO
    Like this.

A few feet at a time in the beginning.

Evan
    "Prepare your dog in such a manner that the work he is normally called upon to do under-whelms him, not overwhelms him." ~ Evan Graham

“People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.”

― George Bernard Shaw

The Smartwork System for Retriever Training (link)
    http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?...59&ref=profile

Quote Originally Posted by Evan View Post
    Like this.

A few feet at a time in the beginning.

Evan
    Thanks Evan. I actually started with smartwork. As soon as I get in packed I will get back into the book and DVDs.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuckfu View Post
    Finally picking my training with butch back up. Built a new house and we were living with family so it suffered for 6 months. He's 16 months old now so we are a little behind I'm sure. Either way we are working on force to pile now. Everything was going good on the third set I did something that I guess was stupid. I moved the pile back. When I sent him he went to the original location just looked around and came back. I guess my question is why wouldn't he continue on the line until he sees it. It was on the same line as the previous just farther. At first I was moving myself back as He was on his way to create longer distance.

The reason the dog went back to the same place is because of habit...I found them there before they should be there again....I've been told that if a wild critter comes out of a den and goes north to hunt and is successful that day , they will go in the same direction again when they hunt....success breeds habit...Just as Mary said " you move back " ...Think ahead when establishing pile drills...Steve S
    "Your dog learns as much by doing his work right,by your praise and encouragement, as he does by your displeasure and correction." DLWalters

Quote Originally Posted by steve schreiner View Post
    [/B]

The reason the dog went back to the same place is because of habit...I found them there before they should be there again....I've been told that if a wild critter comes out of a den and goes north to hunt and is successful that day , they will go in the same direction again when they hunt....success breeds habit...Just as Mary said " you move back " ...Think ahead when establishing pile drills...Steve S

This is is what I was thinking and in my head what you wanted to avoid. I'm not a trainer by any means just enjoy workings dog. I just thought you would want to avoid these habits. I am sure that's dead wrong. Either way we will go back to me moving for the next few days and then move forward.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuckfu View Post
    This is is what I was thinking and in my head what you wanted to avoid. I'm not a trainer by any means just enjoy workings dog. I just thought you would want to avoid these habits. I am sure that's dead wrong. Either way we will go back to me moving for the next few days and then move forward.
    In the end you will have broken this habit of returning to the same ole spot but for now we use this to our benefit to teach certain behaviors and concepts....The use of piles run all the way through water force and swim-by....Then the slow process begins of teaching multiple destinations....Steve S
    "Your dog learns as much by doing his work right,by your praise and encouragement, as he does by your displeasure and correction." DLWalters