The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Question about Cosmo offspring

Default Question about Cosmo offspring

I have heard that Cosmo offspring can be off the wall and don't have an "off switch" that allows them to be good in the field and good as a house dog. I would really appreciate hearing from anyone who has/has had/knows about their experience with a Cosmo daughter or son - either the good things or the bad.

Thanks for any info you all can post.

Randall
    Randall

HRCH Truline's Cleopatra MH (Cleo)

Prime Time Rising Star MH ***(Emmy)
    Wyco's Lena-Linda con Besos SH (Lena)
    HRCH Surry's Smoking Gun SH (Sage) RIP

Licking Run's Blackberry Jam MH (Berry) RIP

My Cosmo son refutes all of those concerns. All his offspring ,same thing. I train with his brother Ali,and he is calm as anything when not running.

I think the Cosmo pups would depend on who is training them. I have my hands full with what I have so I would not want one.

Cosmo is probably the most controversial, maligned,misunderstood,over hyped line out there,,I used to buy into the stereotype until I met and talked to the people that owned him,trained him, ran him,and competed against him..I have also thrown birds for many a Cosmo sired dog so I have seen them perform up close and personal

Cosmo dogs can flat out mark...that is something that is darn near undebateable..the other Cosmo inspired traits can be debated ad nauseum and what I have learned is that most who are not fans are those that " heard" that his line produces this type dog or that type dog..and in some cases they are correct..but what I have also learned is that Cosmo nicks well with some lines and maybe not so well with others, which again lends to his on line reputation

Count me on the side of Cosmo fans...but a bigger fan of his son NAFC FC Carbon Copy of Horn Creek
    All my Exes live in Texas

Quote Originally Posted by lanse brown View Post
    A few things that I learned still ring true. "Lanse when you get a gift, say thank you and walk away. When you get a screwing walk away. You are going to get a lot more screwings than gifts"

Had a Cosmo daughter (just passed away at 12), dam was MH/QAA by Bubba, should have been cranked to the max, farthest thing from it. Total, complete couch potato and people didn't believe she would even hunt. She was relentless on birds, though not the showiest MH that ever ran. Her daughter, while cranked in the field, has some minor noise issues, but still, about as mellow a housedog as I could want, can hardly get her off the bed for last airing at night.
    Kim Pfister, Rainmaker Labs

I have trained with three FC Cosmo sons and ran and lived with one of them and I can tell you that sterotype is false.

I have seen calm Cosmo offspring. I have seen crazy Cosmo offspring. I have seen more of the latter.
    Competition does not build character - It reveals it.

Home of:
    FC/AFC Freeridin Wowie Zowie (2003 NARC Finalist)
    FC/AFC Sky Hy Husker Power
    FC/AFC Freeridin Smooth Operator
    FC/AFC Freeridin Vampire Slayer (2007 NARC Finalist)
    AFC Freeridin Maserati (Double Header Winner)

www.freeridinretrievers.com

Quote Originally Posted by rboudet View Post
    I have trained with three FC Cosmo sons and ran and lived with one of them and I can tell you that sterotype is false.
    I bred 2 of these pups and can tell you that their 12 siblings (2 litters) were all fantastic markers and very tractable. Their dam was a hard charging bitch that actually had a bit of a breaking problem (3 weekends in a row) for a short while once we started running HTs every weekend. I sure wish that I could repeat that breeding today!!!

I also have 3 friends that bred high going bitches to Cos with the same results. Tractable and fantastic markers.
    Last edited by David Maddox; 05-02-2014 at 03:09 PM.
    We are only as good as those that surround us.

Birthplace to:
    •FC-BAYOU TECHE TEX-'09 Nat'l Finalist
    •FC-BUTCH's DREAM CODE of TCR-2x Nat'l Qualifier
    •FC-DREAM DANCIN'-2x Nat'l Qualifier
    Gettin' Jiggy Widdit-MH
    Dancin' Dreamer Kate-MH (•FC-"FINN",QAA-"Coal"-MNHofF, QAAs-"Tank", QAA-"Allie", MH-"Tease", QAA-"Hardy", MNH-Ruby)

RIP Sweet mama Dancy!!!

I have one that is almost 13 years old that I wouldn't trade for anything. He was crazy to retrieve and had a prey drive like I had never seen before. One of the most intense dogs I've seen, but he was/is a pleasure to work with and be around on a daily basis.

It was so much fun I had to do it again, I just brought home another Cosmo pup last week.

I'm on my second Cosmo female. I bought the first one as a wash out and she was tiny and full of energy. My new pup is wide open, calms down in the house but in the field she never quits. She always wants just one more bird. She has a short memory on corrections where my other one would pout when she was in trouble.