The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Question about Cosmo offspring

Quote Originally Posted by Trent Goree View Post
    Me too! I'm just a little excited.
    Me too! Planning to drive all the way down to Texas from Minnesota to get him!

I have a Cosmo son out of a FC/AFC bitch. We got him a little later in life and his line manners are not very good (much better now than when we got him but I still fear the note in the holding blind that says "Dog must be sent from mat")

The critter lives to retrieve. It doesn't matter what. Birds, balls, chew toys. As long as you will keep throwing, he will keep retrieving--even beyond the point where he should stop. However, when it is time to stop retrieving, he turns off and is as calm and snuggly as any dog.

I would love to get a Cosmo dog as a pup. There are so many things I love about mine.

Trained a bunch of Cosmo kids. Loved them.

/Paul
    Paul Cantrell
    Black Ice Retrievers
    Marcola OR

Too many dogs to list (By some Bitch)

https://www.facebook.com/BlackIceRetrievers
    http://gundog2002.blogspot.com/
    "Helping Hunters Train Their Dogs"

All that I have seen were solid in the water. I liked all the ones I have seen except a few and they were soft.
    Faith consists in believing when it is beyond the power of reason to believe.

Cosmo is the only sire which brings 75% to the table and the bitch only brings 25% in a breeding. This is the basic conspiracy theory which I have seen over the years.

i have never owned a cosmo sired male or female. i have owned a couple grandsired by cosmo. i have this to say from my experience:

"if the litter you are looking at a pup from has dare to dream as the pup's grand sire on the bottom(bitch side), do not ask the breeder for the alpha female, the first female puppy to cross the whelping box wall. my female was everything cosmo is sterotyped to have been in the area of heat/desire."

in summary, bitch pup on the bitch side....watch out....too hot!
    john mccallie

I have a Cosmo daughter. She will turn 7 tomorrow. Happy Birthday to my little girl Princess. She is all the dog a man could ever ask for. A couch potato anytime of day or night but break out the gun and the hunt is on. You can't kill enough birds to satisfy her hunger. And when you begin to dought what she can do she does it with her eyes closed. Would not have it any other way.

http://youtu.be/8w9CF17f0Vw

Here's mine at 6 months old doing some marks today. These were pretty big marks for him and even though he didn't nail them I like the way he thought his way to the birds.

I'm getting a cosmo grandsired pup next week. Can't wait to start training her and see what the cosmo line is all about. Dam is also HRCH titled so looking forward to see the drive in this dog.

Quote Originally Posted by RJG View Post
    I have heard that Cosmo offspring can be off the wall and don't have an "off switch" that allows them to be good in the field and good as a house dog. I would really appreciate hearing from anyone who has/has had/knows about their experience with a Cosmo daughter or son - either the good things or the bad.

Thanks for any info you all can post.

Randall
    My avatar is of a Cosmo son celebrating Mother's Day in the house! HPW
    "Sometimes we just gotta do what is right". Jerry 2006

See ya in the field. HPW http://www.sagaciouskennel.com/