The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Is mouthing/freezing on the bird a genetic trait or learned behavior. Thoughts please

Default Is mouthing/freezing on the bird a genetic trait or learned behavior. Thoughts please

If a sire has a mouthing issue (led to a freezing on the bird issue), do you all think that can be passed along genetically to a pup or would you all think it is more of a learned behavior ("I can get away with this so I will")?

I appreciate anyone's thoughts on this.
    Thanks,
    Randall
    Randall

HRCH Truline's Cleopatra MH (Cleo)

Prime Time Rising Star MH ***(Emmy)
    Wyco's Lena-Linda con Besos SH (Lena)
    HRCH Surry's Smoking Gun SH (Sage) RIP

Licking Run's Blackberry Jam MH (Berry) RIP

It can come from Both

Freezing I say more genetic than just mouthy-sticky; it takes a certain type of dog that just freezes; so much so you got to take them back to the truck to get a bird back. Otherwise I'd consider it a tendency; in that left to their own devices, it could develop and their might be something genetic in there. However if it's not allowed to develop; it doesn't become an issue.

I think it's genetic in regard to a trainer; some trainers every dog they own regardless of breeding, becomes sticky. Seems like this is the case with trainers that always have vocal dogs as well. On the other hand some trainers, have dogs that will never be sticky and will never be vocal. Even dogs that come from a strong tendency breeding, never seem to develop the trait.

I figure if I like the match-up and one or more parent has some little tendency; I might need to be aware of, at least I'm forewarned. Forewarned is forearmed; easier to nip a tendency in the bum when you know that it could be there.
    Last edited by Hunt'EmUp; 05-02-2014 at 11:51 AM.
    "They's Just DAWGS"
    "Hunting is a skill to be learned whether you do it early or late it still needs to be learned"
    "I train dogs, Not papers"

GMRH HRCH Quick MH (most importantly Duck/Upland Enthusiast)
    MHR HRCH Lakota MH (most importantly Upland/Duck Enthusiast)
    SHR Storm.. the Pup (Beginning Upland & Waterfowl Enthusiast)

I would think learned. Also mouthing and freezing are two different things. Mouthing/sticking not near as bad as freezing. I have one the will stick on the last bird and her mother never did.

Any behavior can be a product of both genetics and environment. You cannot separate the two.

Even a learned behavior is a product of both.

Both.

There are certain lines of dogs that are prone to sticking on a bird, which I view as different than mouthing a bird. I have not seen a sticky bitch, although I am told that they are out there.

And there are handlers that consistently have dogs with sticking problems.
    Competition does not build character - It reveals it.

Home of:
    FC/AFC Freeridin Wowie Zowie (2003 NARC Finalist)
    FC/AFC Sky Hy Husker Power
    FC/AFC Freeridin Smooth Operator
    FC/AFC Freeridin Vampire Slayer (2007 NARC Finalist)
    AFC Freeridin Maserati (Double Header Winner)

www.freeridinretrievers.com

I'm no expert, but seems my dog who has those tendencies(line as well) gave me clues along the way he would eventually do it. I never picked up on those clues and probably did more to make it worse than help. Mine has chomped, froze, an eaten the bird.

I know of two FC-AFC bitches (now deceased) owned by the same person out of two different lines. They would often stick and sometimes freeze. I saw them do this in a 3rd series AM where each bitch put the bird down between their front paws and rip them apart. I suspect the handler/trainers in this case had a lot to do with it. I had a dog who would roll the 1st or 2nd bird in his mouth on a triple or quad if I did not get the birds out of his mouth now because he wanted to go. Such a problem - I have never found one close to him yet.

In my opinion it is seen MOST of the time with amateur trainers/handlers and stems from the way they take the birds from the dog. Pulling or ripping from the dogs mouth and not being consistent from training to trials. If you really look close it's often the same people year after year with mouth problems with their dogs and quite often if they use a professional the professional does not have the problem. Again this was just my opinion and what I have seen in the last fourteen years never having one stick.

Accurate answer Pat...welcome back ...Randy
    CHRIS ATKINSON...PLEASE don't QUIT CHANGING MY PROFILE PAGE!!

"And if you have a golden, bring TWO towels!"