The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: HRC Hunt Test Low Entries???

Default HRC Hunt Test Low Entries???

Mid Atlantic HRC had their first event this weekend in Farmville, VA and the entries were extremely low. I have noticed the decline in the entries over the past two years in this region. What is is from? Anybody have any suggestions.
    Before you say it. I know the grand didn't help out but where are the 120+ AKC dogs that fill every weekend? Why isn't HRC "fitting in" in this region?
    Will and Kathy White
    www.burntoakkennels.com

Because everyone hates invites to Farmville Sorry, couldn't help it.
    Matt McKenzie

It takes as long as it takes. Sometimes longer.

"It is better to own a $50,000 dog and have an old truck and crummy equipment than to own $50,000 worth of new equipment and a crummy dog..." EdA

Some of it may have to do with the limit on dogs per handler. I know the pros do not like that and like it or not they bring lots of dogs to the AKC masters.

Russell
    CH Chisholm Trail's Backdraft Bay MH**
    Chisholm Trail's Crossfire Sophie JH**
    "I say goodbye to my weakness, so long to the regrets"

it seems to be all over not just one area. there could be many reasons, the price of gas to get there, people that have the resources to do this are getting older, finished seems to do ok but started and seasoned seem to be low. could be people skip these and go to finished. but I have looked at akc hunt tests and they seem to have low numbers in jr and sr, master seems to fill up.in our area the weather sucks so training is hard to do.

After this weekend this is what I think.
    HRC needs to get back to the grass roots of their slogan "Conceived by Hunters For hunters". It seems that the amateur gets judged harder than the pro!! I say this as a Pro. And the standard isn't the standard that it was 5 years ago. I will say this that with the reputation that HRC is getting on the east coast or mid atlantic region it will be next to impossible to have a Successful HRC event. The key to success is interested members and entries. If the intreset in HRC goes down because the test are impossible to pass with and average dog then we have lost all hope in getting an established hunt test in the state of Virginia. We already have 3 clubs in a two hour window that struggle with entries. You know maybe judging with a slightly less sharp pencil wouldn't be a bad thing. Our Started and Seasoned flights were perfect had a few fail but there was no doubt. Our Finished has a pass rate of 9% on Sunday. Now were the dogs that bad or were the judges that tough or Maybe the 10 dogs that entered weren't ready even tough (6 were MH or had MH passes).

So basically if we weed out the amateur and make it an unpleasurable experience why in the world would he or she pay 130 for entries plus give up a weekend and pay 200+ for expenses.
    Will and Kathy White
    www.burntoakkennels.com

Didn't you have the same judges Sat and Sun? AKC tests have shots from the gunner station. MHs have to learn to mark of the gun. Not hard to teach but if a dog does not swing and see the mark he is going to have a hard time picking it up. How many finished entries did you end up with each day?

On the heels of the Grand and if you're going to use EE you need to get the word out to clubs and members in the region. One of the clubs in my region went to EE this year and I missed scheduling their test and entered an AKC instead.
    On the HRC calendar there was no mention of EE
    One cannot reason someone out of something they were not reasoned into. - Jonathan Swift

No comment on the Virginia area. Locally, HRC seems alive and well. 2 tests within driving distance & both are full in Finished on Mothers Day weekend. DAH waited until the last minute & is running Finished Sunday only. Will be there Saturday also running 1 dog in Seasoned.
    Mark Land

If, as stated in the original post, this was the club's FIRST test, low numbers could be attributed to people not being familiar with the club, not expecting a test in that place on that weekend, and particularly not knowing about the test because it was on EE and not Hunt Secretary. If publicity for next year's test is better and the numbers are still low, then you might have something to worry about. From what I've seen, it can take a couple of years for a new event to really get going.
    Pam
    Roughwater Stacked & Packed, "Babe," MH, CD, RN, CGC, WDQ

Quote Originally Posted by fishduck View Post
    No comment on the Virginia area. Locally, HRC seems alive and well. 2 tests within driving distance & both are full in Finished on Mothers Day weekend. DAH waited until the last minute & is running Finished Sunday only. Will be there Saturday also running 1 dog in Seasoned.
    DAH betta be running in FAIRHOPE....
    Wm. Mark Edwards
    Pascagoula, MS

HRCH (500) UH Ellie Mae MH
    SHR Tipsy