The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: "Swim-By" flaring on send problem

"Dave"
    No sir I am from Springfield, 25 miles North of Nashville, and about 6 miles from the Kentucky state line, Most all of my relatives are from around here within a few miles.
    "MAC"
    SHR Mac's Scars To Prove It (Josie)

the dog is bored. it's been six days. she knows where the pile is. she's "acting out" in inappropriate ways because she cant express her need for more. teach something new, move on with the program!

just another possible read of your dog
    john mccallie

I was thinking the same as roseberry.
    I had a similar issue with Rowdy. A bullfrog jumped as he was right at the edge of the water and it scared him. So it was a situational issue with him . I went to another pond for a bit and then came back to my original pond a few days later and everything was fine.

You might want to:
    Limit sends to pile at three, then move on to teaching overs
    Move to another pond for a few days in case it is a situation issue.

Not typical responses but since you are grasping at straws , it might be worth considering.
    Wayne Nutt
    Go Nutts with dog training

HRCH Patton's Parker Co. Shadow "Shadow"
    HRCH Clineline Hijacker "Jack"
    HRCH Marks a Lot Midnight Hudson, SH "Hudson"-retired
    Castile Creek's Rawhide, SH "Rowdy"

Know right where Springfield is! We're from Gallatin so know that area well
    Well wishes toward success with your retriever. You'll get it done
    Dk

One of my initial thoughts was also that you may be moving too slow for your dog. It sounds like you are doing more repitition then you need to.

It can sometimes be hard to tell when you are moving too fast or two slow. Your dog will usually tell you. The hard part is figuring out what they are telling you!

Tom
    Tom Wall

Quote Originally Posted by roseberry View Post
    the dog is bored. it's been six days. she knows where the pile is. she's "acting out" in inappropriate ways because she cant express her need for more. teach something new, move on with the program!

just another possible read of your dog

My male gets that way as well if we stay on something to long, when he has it he lets me know in ways/forms that he definitely knows better to normally not do. That is my que' from him and it seems to be working for us

Quote Originally Posted by Evan View Post
    But knowing if the person you choose really knows much more than you do is almost as dicey as asking strangers on the Internet.

Evan
    Agree that finding credible trainers who really know dog training; as opposed to CLAIMING they know dogs can be an issue.
    I feel the best way to sort the wheat from the chafe is to look at their performance history on EE or in Callbacks. However whenever your lack of performance history for 25 years is pointed out you get very irate and hurl insults at whoever points it out.

When seeking out a mentor, What do you feel is the best way to determine someones competence

Even though I am with Tony on this one, I want to add a few things. First If the dog is flaring off the line like that they must be giving you a sign, head movement, eye movement, body shift, something. Read your dog and do not put your hand down. No them off and restart. If you have not done no,no drills or wheels, I suggest you do.

Keith

Quote Originally Posted by mjh345 View Post
    When seeking out a mentor, What do you feel is the best way to determine someones competence
    Take a look at those whom they've mentored (and their dogs), and see how they've done under judgment and in the field. If those are results you desire, start there.

I'd be interested in knowing how the OP's dog was water forced because it does not sound like the results were effective. But that would be easier to determine if it could be seen - on video, for example.

Evan
    "Prepare your dog in such a manner that the work he is normally called upon to do under-whelms him, not overwhelms him." ~ Evan Graham

“People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.”

― George Bernard Shaw

The Smartwork System for Retriever Training (link)
    http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?...59&ref=profile