The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Food Fight - Purina vs Blue Buffalo

Quote Originally Posted by i_willie12 View Post
    I've had several client dogs over the past couple years come in being fed blue buffalo stuff... Boy they crap A LOT!!!!! I cant get them off that stuff fast enough I feed out the bag and switch them to diamond natural (what i feed) and almost the next day they are only crapping 1-2 times and its finally piles not blobs!!
    This was my experience when I tried it. Dogs pooped all the freakin time

I tried BB and was never able to get a solid stool out of my dogs. Went back to ProPlan and the next poop was solid.

By-products are usually organ meat which actually are very nutritious.

Never fed Blue but I have fed Purina and it's a decent food. I switched to Dr. Tim's and that's a step above.

Quote Originally Posted by Quacktastic View Post
    I love when people get all worked up over dog food brands and the ingredients. Your talking about an animal that will literally eat a pile of sh!t for fun. Give em the nutrients they need, and move on to more important things in life.
    i can attest to this...got myself 2 poooh eaters...yard cleanup is easier...

Dr.Tim's sounds like a good quality food. I went from Blue buffalo to orijen to acana and a couple other expensive "high quality" foods and could never get a solid stool no matter how little I fed. I currently feed Loyall Professional and haven't had a single problem since the switch.

Quote Originally Posted by Cass View Post
    This was my experience when I tried it. Dogs pooped all the freakin time
    When I tried it I pooped all the freakin time.

Said this before Pro Plan really works for my dogs. I do supplement some of my home cooking at times. They also get a fish oil capsule and all the dogs have great coats, no stool problems and loads of energy!
    HRCH Scaupgetters Tarnation QAA

HR Blackie 2 CGN, WCI

Metras's Hashtag Mickey

As a professional trainer I have dogs brought into my kennel on a variety of foods, and my experience mirrors Cass'. I currently have dogs that were brought in on Arcana, Blue Buff and Orijem. With the owners permission I have switched them all to Loyall Professional, and they are all doing great. The Blue Buff dog in particular has better stools and is holding weight on better.

Personally, I think all that "no by-product" stuff is just a marketing gimmick. I could go into the science of it all, but I will keep it pretty common sense. If you shoot a deer and don't find it before the coyotes do, you can bet that they are going to eat the organs way before they touch the meat. If you don't believe me just shoot a deer, field dress it, and leave it laying next to the gut pile to cool over night. You can bet that when you return the next day the guts will be gone, but the deer meat will still be intact!

High quality chicken-by-product meal (and no, that is not an oxymoron ), does not include feathers and beaks, but it does include the organs. And as nature has shown us over and over, that is where the nutrition is!

I used Blue Buffalo for years. Stopped after diamond food purchased the company. I use Dr. Tim's now.
    UH HRCH Brandywine Sue MH
    UKC: SHR, HR, HRCH, UH
    AKC: MH
    GLSD: Finished Retriever, 2x Finished Upland
    GLSD: 2013,2014 Finished high point dog of the year.

Quote Originally Posted by Im_with_Brandy View Post
    I used Blue Buffalo for years. Stopped after diamond food purchased the company. I use Dr. Tim's now.
    Did Diamond food really buy this company??? Interesting!
    HRCH Scaupgetters Tarnation QAA

HR Blackie 2 CGN, WCI

Metras's Hashtag Mickey