The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Breeders-how often to feed 5wk-6wk puppies

Default Breeders-how often to feed 5wk-6wk puppies

I think we might be feeding too much, so wanted to know from breeders how many times a day do you feed. We started doing 3 times a day and we blended the dog food to powder and rehidrated with water for a while when first started weening. They now have full teeth and we are only soaking dry food for a few minutes before feeding.
    Thanks for any help.

2-3 times ( as Much as they want) per day , I go to 2 x a day ( as much as they want) before they go home at 8 weeks,
    BB
    Sight To Sea Labradors
    Southern Cross at Sight to Sea SH "Crosby" (by NAFC FC AFC Cody Cut a Lean Grade)
    Tealwood's Willing at Sight to Sea JH ( by CH I am Able)
    Briarglen's Running on Faith JH (by FC Fish River's Out of the Park)
    Glendair's Come Home to the Sea ( By Ch Topform's Edward MH, QAA)
    Sight To Sea's Take Aim SH (by Sight to Sea's Southern Comfort SH )Aug 23 2003-Feb 2013 Go get em , Man!

Manager of www.DeCoverlykennels.com

Wow, I am still doing four or five feedings at that age. I continue four feedings beyond 8 weeks with my personal puppies. I have always read that "frequent small meals are best" for developing a healthy digestive system.

Amy Dahl

thanks, we were doing the 3 times a day but this morning when I went to clean the box before feeding they all seemed to have a pretty big belly still from last night 10 oclock feeding. I thought maybe because they have finally learned to like drinking water. We will try the twice a day from now own.

When my pup turned 8 weeks, my vet told me to start feeding mine however many times I was going to feed her a day the rest of her life. I started feeding her twice a day as much as she would eat until she was about 8 month when she pretty much plained off. My vet to me to do this and it would help with gettin my pups digestion used to the cycle and frequency of eating and it helped with house training since about 15min after she ate, it was time to take her out.

Yes that is what I do for my 8wk but I have a litter of 8 that are 5wks old yesterday. We started seperating 4 and 4 to make sure all got enough to eat since they act like starving pups

By five weeks, assuming they are fully weaned, I feed 3x day until they go home. I measure the dry kibble and spread it out on clean blanket on so it slows them down a bit and each pup has their own "space". They drink plenty of water on their own by that age. I do measure per pup so they are not getting overfed. I know when my husband feeds, he thinks more is more and they get bloated bellies and generally, loose stools afterwards.

I also use some additional kibble for "training". By 6 weeks, they are running like mad from the whelping room to the front door and then outside, to the rattle of kibble. Which becomes associated with a squeaky toy and "puppy puppy", helps new owners get pup's attention until they are bonded and know their name.
    Last edited by Rainmaker; 05-07-2014 at 02:41 PM.
    Kim Pfister, Rainmaker Labs

2-3 times a day, down to 2 when they go home. I don't free choice because Labs are pigs and they will overeat and turn into swollen little ticks--and then have to deal with the loose stools!!

Meredith

Thanks Kim for answering all my questions. Glad others do this , I sure would never do it for a living. I suggested to my husband about seperating in small bowls, he thought I was nuts. About how much do you give a 6 lb pup. Most should be at that weight now. We have been weighing every 3 days now instead of everyday. That in itself is a interesting job.

3x/day. Still a little soaked til 6 weeks, then at 6 weeks, dry mixed with a little canned and water 2X /day and at lunch just dry-if they eat it- if theyre picky about it I give some canned with. My 6 weekers are piggies and will eat dry like its candy. My 8 weekers, not as ravenous.
    Once 8 weeks and home they can go to twice a day if more convenient.
    HOME OF:
    Waterspook Sables Dark Secret, MH (Sable)
    Trumarcs Bankshot Bandit, MH ( Fats)
    Waterspook Tomfoolery, SH ( Tommie)
    IN MEMORY OF::
    Waterspook Bankshot Whiz Bang,JH (Jesse)
    Waterspooks Girl Named Bill, SH ( Billie- my princess.....)
    Waterspook Kickin' Gunshot, SH ( Boom)
    Waterspook Kickin' Good Time MH(Kick)
    Waterspooks Partner In Crime, SH ( Bouncer)
    Brush Creek Waterspook, JH, WC- my first girl.(Spooky)