The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help me plan my trip home with my new puppy

Default Help me plan my trip home with my new puppy

Ok I am picking up my puppy on the way back from Florida. We will be exactly eight weeks old and I will be flying him as carry on. I already have the crate, paperwork, and all that taken care of. The litter owner is placing a towel with momma and the sibs so I can put it in his crate.
    What I am really trying to work out is timing of the actual travel. The flight is 2.5 hours non-stop. My goal is to get to the airport and wait until the last minute, depending on security and lines, to go through security. I will try to find as remote a location as I can to try to let him do his business (staying away from the dog walking areas of course). I would think he should be fine bathroom wise, but I am open for suggestion regarding this. I also plan to carry an extra hand towel and some baby wipes just in case.
    Any suggestion on how to comfort him while on the plane? I know he is going to be scared and you are not allowed to take them out of the carrier. Has anyone done this? Can I place the carrier on my lap and just not open it.
    I should get an upgrade because of my miles as long as business is not full so that will give us more room. If for some reason I don't I have booked a seat with extra room.
    Views and opinions expressed herein by Badbullgator do not necessarily represent the policies or position of RTF. RTF and all of it's subsidiaries can not be held liable for the off centered humor and politically incorrect comments of the author.
    Corey Burke

I've brought 2 pups home as "carry on". Neither needed any comforting but charmed the attendants into petting them. Mine flew for up to 5 hours with multiple plane changes. Just before boarding and just after debarking, stop in a rest room with a paper towel handy and let 'em pee. A disinfectant wipe makes a nice clean up. Never a problem, pups had a happy adventure and much bonding!
    Carol,
    Owned and handled by Cruisin' with Indiana Jones, JH
    Alternate Handler: Westwind Buffalo Soldier
    Apprentice Handler: Snake River Medicine Man, JH
    http://newhoperetrievers.com

Went through same worries, puppy slept from MS to PA.
    I did bring a bit of news paper in zip lock bag with litter pee/poo scent on it. Took puppy in bathroom closest to gate just before boarding to air. Otherwise too hard to air puppy at an airport.
    I use a Sherpa bag and ended up sneeking sleeping puppy onto my lap.
    "Darla" AFC Candlewoods Lil Smokin Tequila (2002-2013)(fondly remembered)
    "Smoke" Smokin Auggies Menace, QAA (2003- )(retired nut case, ask Rando)
    "Simba" Humewood Simba (1999-2014)(my 1st dog)

Per favore, non mi rompere i coglioni.
    Grazie

Quote Originally Posted by Breck View Post
    Went through same worries, puppy slept from MS to PA.
    I did bring a bit of news paper in zip lock bag with litter pee/poo scent on it. Took puppy in bathroom closest to gate just before boarding to air. Otherwise too hard to air puppy at an airport.
    I use a Sherpa bag and ended up sneeking sleeping puppy onto my lap.
    thanks both of you. Tell me more about this Sherpa bag. I have a standard soft crate approved by the airline. It is still packaged and I can return it if there is something better.
    Views and opinions expressed herein by Badbullgator do not necessarily represent the policies or position of RTF. RTF and all of it's subsidiaries can not be held liable for the off centered humor and politically incorrect comments of the author.
    Corey Burke

Just sesrch online for sherpa bag, soft bag you have may be similar n ok.
    "Darla" AFC Candlewoods Lil Smokin Tequila (2002-2013)(fondly remembered)
    "Smoke" Smokin Auggies Menace, QAA (2003- )(retired nut case, ask Rando)
    "Simba" Humewood Simba (1999-2014)(my 1st dog)

Per favore, non mi rompere i coglioni.
    Grazie

Those absorbent puppy pads in the kennel and maybe a couple to do the "business" in a restroom might work well.

I agree the puppy pee pads work great - you can step at a "family style" bathroom and lay them on the ground and let the little guy relieve himself if need be. Easy clean up too.

Grab a small bottle of water for the trip - even though you don't want him peeing, you also don't want him to get dehydrated - I'd rather deal with a little bit of pee than a dehydrated puppy = traveling is very stressful. I also take a couple toys with ya, that you can use to entertain the little guy if you need to.

So now the important stuff - name? breeding? color?etc...
    "You can't eat a pig whole, but you can eat a whole pig." - Joe S.

Proudly Owned By:
    MHR HR Flash Of Mischief SH CD CGC - Flash (10/15/98 - 10/8/12)
    Lightning Fast Quack Attacker*** - Bullet
    Gotta Heart Of A Warrior - Ranger (12/26/07 - 8/10/2010)
    SML's Gettin' Sexy With It*** - Tango
    FOM's Raising a Ruckus in the Rockies - Riot

Quote Originally Posted by FOM View Post
    I agree the puppy pee pads work great - you can step at a "family style" bathroom and lay them on the ground and let the little guy relieve himself if need be. Easy clean up too.

Grab a small bottle of water for the trip - even though you don't want him peeing, you also don't want him to get dehydrated - I'd rather deal with a little bit of pee than a dehydrated puppy = traveling is very stressful. I also take a couple toys with ya, that you can use to entertain the little guy if you need to.

So now the important stuff - name? breeding? color?etc...

He he is an FC, freaking chocolate and out a a GRHRCH/MH/SRS sire and a HRCH/MH dam who has passed the only MN she has run. Pretty strong pedigree on both sides. I know the dam and have always liked her and I have seen the sire run a few times. As you well know I have had a difficult time trying to get a pup over the last year. I am still looking for a more FT type breeding, but this one happened at the right time and with the right people. The timing is great since I hope to be back in Florida soon and he should be ready for juniors come HT season down there.
    Name is Calusa's Polymerase Chain Reaction, call name Helix.
    Corey Burke

Quote Originally Posted by badbullgator View Post
    He he is an FC, freaking chocolate and out a a GRHRCH/MH/SRS sire and a HRCH/MH dam who has passed the only MN she has run. Pretty strong pedigree on both sides. I know the dam and have always liked her and I have seen the sire run a few times. As you well know I have had a difficult time trying to get a pup over the last year. I am still looking for a more FT type breeding, but this one happened at the right time and with the right people. The timing is great since I hope to be back in Florida soon and he should be ready for juniors come HT season down there.
    Name is Calusa's Polymerase Chain Reaction, call name Helix.
    LOVE the registered name! And I have found out sometimes the breeding isn't 100% what we want at times, but if the timing is right, then it's right, not to mention you like the bitch and sire and sometimes the paper the pedigree is written on doesn't mean much! Sometimes things work out the way they do for a reason. I wish you and Helix the best and look forward to seeing some pictures! (hint!)
    "You can't eat a pig whole, but you can eat a whole pig." - Joe S.

Proudly Owned By:
    MHR HR Flash Of Mischief SH CD CGC - Flash (10/15/98 - 10/8/12)
    Lightning Fast Quack Attacker*** - Bullet
    Gotta Heart Of A Warrior - Ranger (12/26/07 - 8/10/2010)
    SML's Gettin' Sexy With It*** - Tango
    FOM's Raising a Ruckus in the Rockies - Riot

Sherpa bag! And you'll have no problem. Pee pads but you probably won't need them. Everyone will love him which makes it easy to travel with pups! Good luck Corey! With the travel and new little Helix!
    Sue Puffenbarger
    Wirtz, VA
    www.boynelabradors.com