The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Proven producer vs Hot competitor?

Default Proven producer vs Hot competitor?

Am I noticing a trend in the demand for competitive puppies swinging towards litters sired by the hot young FC/AFC studs that are winning on the circuits vs the proven producers?
    Last edited by David Maddox; 05-08-2014 at 07:12 AM.
    We are only as good as those that surround us.

Birthplace to:
    •FC-BAYOU TECHE TEX-'09 Nat'l Finalist
    •FC-BUTCH's DREAM CODE of TCR-2x Nat'l Qualifier
    •FC-DREAM DANCIN'-2x Nat'l Qualifier
    Gettin' Jiggy Widdit-MH
    Dancin' Dreamer Kate-MH (•FC-"FINN",QAA-"Coal"-MNHofF, QAAs-"Tank", QAA-"Allie", MH-"Tease", QAA-"Hardy", MNH-Ruby)

RIP Sweet mama Dancy!!!

With unproven studs or proven also- I look at the quality of the parents, and the grandparents. Hopefully all 6 were outstanding dogs. Then I look at siblings. I want dogs who are strong performers with strong litter mates. Same with the parents- strong dogs from strong litters.

I am unlikely to breed to a stud who is the only dog who did anything in his litter, or who has parents who weren't from solid litters.

Quote Originally Posted by jhnnythndr View Post
    With unproven studs or proven also- I look at the quality of the parents, and the grandparents. Hopefully all 6 were outstanding dogs. Then I look at siblings. I want dogs who are strong performers with strong litter mates. Same with the parents- strong dogs from strong litters.

I am unlikely to breed to a stud who is the only dog who did anything in his litter, or who has parents who weren't from solid litters.
    I agree. Nice response.
    We are only as good as those that surround us.

Birthplace to:
    •FC-BAYOU TECHE TEX-'09 Nat'l Finalist
    •FC-BUTCH's DREAM CODE of TCR-2x Nat'l Qualifier
    •FC-DREAM DANCIN'-2x Nat'l Qualifier
    Gettin' Jiggy Widdit-MH
    Dancin' Dreamer Kate-MH (•FC-"FINN",QAA-"Coal"-MNHofF, QAAs-"Tank", QAA-"Allie", MH-"Tease", QAA-"Hardy", MNH-Ruby)

RIP Sweet mama Dancy!!!

I think the current trend is seeking EIC clear vs proven producers or proven competitors...

Aren't the hot young competitors of today the proven producers of tomorrow and vice versa?
    John Lash

"If you run Field Trials, you learn to swallow your disappointment quickly."

"Field trials are not a game for good dogs. They're for great dogs with great training." E. Graham

A proven pruducers is a dog that has produced MH, AFC, or other titled offspring. Sometimes just because a dog is a hot new competitor doesn't mean he will always reproduce well. But a lot of times it does.

Quote Originally Posted by Brandon Bromley View Post
    I think the current trend is seeking EIC clear vs proven producers or proven competitors...
    What makes you say this? I think the current trend in competitive dogs at least is proven producers or competitors that are have health clearances. I know some are looking for EIC clear, but there are also many breedings of EIC clear to carrier. This whole issue has been beat to death on RTF. Of course, its still the wild, wild west in many BY breedings where the owners don't give a hoot about any health clearances.
    Mike Tome
    Duckdog's Fast Autofocus
    GMHRCH-III WR North Star's Deuce of Diamonds

MHR WR Pondview's Bar None 1994-2006

Duckdogphotography.smugmug.com

I think my definition of a proven producer is a little different than some others. If a dog doesn't have a real record as a consistent producers why not go with a less proven, but exceptional sire?

And you have to remember someone always has to be the first. Sires aren't born proven reproducers.

Quote Originally Posted by John Lash View Post
    Aren't the hot young competitors of today the proven producers of tomorrow and vice versa?
    Not necessarily, I know of some very good FC-AFC's that never really passed on their great genes when bred. On the other hand I have seen certain dogs just click and produce great dogs from multiple litters, even though they hadn't achieved much in the way of titles.