Proven producer vs Hot competitor? - Page 2
The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Wildear
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 26

Thread: Proven producer vs Hot competitor?

  1. #11
    Senior Member fetchtx's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Dime Box, Texas
    Posts
    118

    Default

    Years ago a pro had a very nice BLM with 33 open seconds, never titled, never sired a litter. I was surprised that someone never used him, great pedigree and all the health clearances required. Part of the problem was he was owned by someone who had no use for bothering with breeding
    DLM


    " Paddle faster, I hear Banjos!"

  2. Remove Advertisements
    RetrieverTraining.net
    Advertisements
     

  3. #12

    Default

    I know you said sire in the original post, but I would still prefer the pup from a well bred competitive female.

  4. #13
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Houston,TX
    Posts
    1,448

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by lostdog View Post
    I know you said sire in the original post, but I would still prefer the pup from a well bred competitive female.
    True that, but competitive/titled females arent bred to just any male either.
    We are only as good as those that surround us.

    Birthplace to:
    •'09 National Finalist FC-BAYOU TECHE TEX
    •FC-BUTCH's DREAM CODE of TCR
    •FC-DREAM DANCIN'
    Gettin' Jiggy Widdit-MH
    Dancin' Dreamer Kate-MH (dam to FC-"FINN", several QAAs, 2-MNHs)

    RIP Jiggy, Kate, and sweet mama Dancy!!!

  5. #14
    Senior Member John Robinson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Bigfork, Montana
    Posts
    4,481

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by fetchtx View Post
    Years ago a pro had a very nice BLM with 33 open seconds, never titled, never sired a litter. I was surprised that someone never used him, great pedigree and all the health clearances required. Part of the problem was he was owned by someone who had no use for bothering with breeding
    That's a heart breaker. Second place is so close and very hard on its own, to miss by one place 33 times is unbelievable.

  6. #15
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    220

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ethompson63 View Post
    A proven pruducers is a dog that has produced MH, AFC, or other titled offspring. Sometimes just because a dog is a hot new competitor doesn't mean he will always reproduce well. But a lot of times it does.
    I guess some people would rather see another person take the risk with an unproven stud. Some people just like taking that chance and don't mind. Some times you win some times you lose. With a proven stud with a great production record your odds may be a little better.
    Julie (High Voltage Retrievers) Life is to short to hunt with an ugly dog. Hunting is more fun with a good dog no matter how ugly it is.

  7. #16
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Houston,TX
    Posts
    1,448

    Default

    I've actually been in contact with a couple of A-listers that have both. They own both a proven producer and hot young competitors and claim that they are getting more calls for litters and upcoming litters by their young dogs. Not many calls for their proven studs.

    This surprises me.
    We are only as good as those that surround us.

    Birthplace to:
    •'09 National Finalist FC-BAYOU TECHE TEX
    •FC-BUTCH's DREAM CODE of TCR
    •FC-DREAM DANCIN'
    Gettin' Jiggy Widdit-MH
    Dancin' Dreamer Kate-MH (dam to FC-"FINN", several QAAs, 2-MNHs)

    RIP Jiggy, Kate, and sweet mama Dancy!!!

  8. #17
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Marshall
    Posts
    55

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by fetchtx View Post
    Years ago a pro had a very nice BLM with 33 open seconds, never titled, never sired a litter. I was surprised that someone never used him, great pedigree and all the health clearances required. Part of the problem was he was owned by someone who had no use for bothering with breeding
    Can you share the name of this nice animal? PM is fine.
    Thanks.

  9. #18
    Senior Member Buzz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Brookings, South Dakota
    Posts
    7,205

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by David Maddox View Post
    I've actually been in contact with a couple of A-listers that have both. They own both a proven producer and hot young competitors and claim that they are getting more calls for litters and upcoming litters by their young dogs. Not many calls for their proven studs.

    This surprises me.
    I have always wondered what it was about Tiger that made him such a popular stud. There were a couple of females that he really clicked with. He was only QAA, but he must have had plenty of all-age points but just didn't title? I have a Chopper son that is completely clean who is QAA that I bred once to a master hunter. All the dogs but one went to hunting homes. One went to a field trial amateur. The pup ages out of derby this summer but probably won't run any. He went out on a qual water blind last weekend. Really nice dog. I wish I hadn't sold him... I took him for the stud fee and decided I had enough dogs around already.
    "For everyone to whom much is given, of him shall much be required." -- Luke 12:48

    Raven - Moneybird's Black Magic Marker***
    (Esprit's Power Play x Trumarc's Lean Cuisine)
    Mick - Moneybird's Jumpin' Jack Flash***
    (Clubmead's Road Warrior x Oakdale Whitewater Devil Dog)
    Peerless - Moneybird's Sole Survivor
    (Two River's Lucky Willie x Moneybird's Black Magic Marker)

  10. #19
    Senior Member EdA's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Posts
    7,822

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by fetchtx View Post
    Years ago a pro had a very nice BLM with 33 open seconds, never titled, never sired a litter. I was surprised that someone never used him, great pedigree and all the health clearances required. Part of the problem was he was owned by someone who had no use for bothering with breeding
    Wow 99+ All-Age points (I assume he had other placements) and no title, who was the dog? That would be 4-5 seconds per year for a career.

  11. #20
    Senior Member BonMallari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    LV/CenTex/Idaho
    Posts
    13,920

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Buzz View Post
    I have always wondered what it was about Tiger that made him such a popular stud. There were a couple of females that he really clicked with. He was only QAA, but he must have had plenty of all-age points but just didn't title? I have a Chopper son that is completely clean who is QAA that I bred once to a master hunter. All the dogs but one went to hunting homes. One went to a field trial amateur. The pup ages out of derby this summer but probably won't run any. He went out on a qual water blind last weekend. Really nice dog. I wish I hadn't sold him... I took him for the stud fee and decided I had enough dogs around already.
    according to the records Tiger had 7 Open pts and 2 Amateur pts...he was also a full brother to Creek Robber..we were fortunate to have a Tiger sired pup and she was a very nice dog that just got the short end of the stick when it came to training time,Clint got a placement in a Derby and one in a Qual in just a handful of trials, our biggest regret is that we spayed her at a young age, lost her two years ago to the big C....straightest lining dog in the house
    Executor of the Alanson C Brown III - Trust

    Quote Originally Posted by lanse brown View Post
    A few things that I learned still ring true. "Lanse when you get a gift, say thank you and walk away. When you get a screwing walk away. You are going to get a lot more screwings than gifts"

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •