The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Proven producer vs Hot competitor?

I would want to use the Sire of the Hot new competitor .
    I don't think I smell like a brewery. I was drinking Scotch.

Years ago a pro had a very nice BLM with 33 open seconds, never titled, never sired a litter. I was surprised that someone never used him, great pedigree and all the health clearances required. Part of the problem was he was owned by someone who had no use for bothering with breeding
    DLM

" Paddle faster, I hear Banjos!"

I know you said sire in the original post, but I would still prefer the pup from a well bred competitive female.

Quote Originally Posted by lostdog View Post
    I know you said sire in the original post, but I would still prefer the pup from a well bred competitive female.
    True that, but competitive/titled females arent bred to just any male either.
    We are only as good as those that surround us.

Birthplace to:
    •FC-BAYOU TECHE TEX-'09 Nat'l Finalist
    •FC-BUTCH's DREAM CODE of TCR-2x Nat'l Qualifier
    •FC-DREAM DANCIN'-2x Nat'l Qualifier
    Gettin' Jiggy Widdit-MH
    Dancin' Dreamer Kate-MH (•FC-"FINN",QAA-"Coal"-MNHofF, QAAs-"Tank", QAA-"Allie", MH-"Tease", QAA-"Hardy", MNH-Ruby)

RIP Sweet mama Dancy!!!

Quote Originally Posted by fetchtx View Post
    Years ago a pro had a very nice BLM with 33 open seconds, never titled, never sired a litter. I was surprised that someone never used him, great pedigree and all the health clearances required. Part of the problem was he was owned by someone who had no use for bothering with breeding
    That's a heart breaker. Second place is so close and very hard on its own, to miss by one place 33 times is unbelievable.

Quote Originally Posted by Ethompson63 View Post
    A proven pruducers is a dog that has produced MH, AFC, or other titled offspring. Sometimes just because a dog is a hot new competitor doesn't mean he will always reproduce well. But a lot of times it does.
    I guess some people would rather see another person take the risk with an unproven stud. Some people just like taking that chance and don't mind. Some times you win some times you lose. With a proven stud with a great production record your odds may be a little better.
    Julie (High Voltage Retrievers) Life is to short to hunt with an ugly dog. Hunting is more fun with a good dog no matter how ugly it is.

I've actually been in contact with a couple of A-listers that have both. They own both a proven producer and hot young competitors and claim that they are getting more calls for litters and upcoming litters by their young dogs. Not many calls for their proven studs.

This surprises me.
    We are only as good as those that surround us.

Birthplace to:
    •FC-BAYOU TECHE TEX-'09 Nat'l Finalist
    •FC-BUTCH's DREAM CODE of TCR-2x Nat'l Qualifier
    •FC-DREAM DANCIN'-2x Nat'l Qualifier
    Gettin' Jiggy Widdit-MH
    Dancin' Dreamer Kate-MH (•FC-"FINN",QAA-"Coal"-MNHofF, QAAs-"Tank", QAA-"Allie", MH-"Tease", QAA-"Hardy", MNH-Ruby)

RIP Sweet mama Dancy!!!

Can you share the name of this nice animal? PM is fine.
    Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by David Maddox View Post
    I've actually been in contact with a couple of A-listers that have both. They own both a proven producer and hot young competitors and claim that they are getting more calls for litters and upcoming litters by their young dogs. Not many calls for their proven studs.

This surprises me.
    I have always wondered what it was about Tiger that made him such a popular stud. There were a couple of females that he really clicked with. He was only QAA, but he must have had plenty of all-age points but just didn't title? I have a Chopper son that is completely clean who is QAA that I bred once to a master hunter. All the dogs but one went to hunting homes. One went to a field trial amateur. The pup ages out of derby this summer but probably won't run any. He went out on a qual water blind last weekend. Really nice dog. I wish I hadn't sold him... I took him for the stud fee and decided I had enough dogs around already.
    "For everyone to whom much is given, of him shall much be required." -- Luke 12:48

Raven - Moneybird's Black Magic Marker***
    (Esprit's Power Play x Trumarc's Lean Cuisine)
    Mick - Moneybird's Jumpin' Jack Flash***
    (Clubmead's Road Warrior x Oakdale Whitewater Devil Dog)
    Peerless - Moneybird's Sole Survivor
    (Two River's Lucky Willie x Moneybird's Black Magic Marker)

Wow 99+ All-Age points (I assume he had other placements) and no title, who was the dog? That would be 4-5 seconds per year for a career.