The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011 LastLast

Thread: Pope Francis

Quote Originally Posted by swampcollielover View Post
    Another non Christian speaks again! You have a right to believe or not believe whatever you choose....but making goofy statements like this are offensive to many who choose to believe and actually serve no purpose!
    There is nothing goofy about the statement! If you want to read goofy, I suggest you read your own post.

Yes, I do have a Right to believe in what I do. And, when the topic comes up for discussion on an opinion board, I will do so.

You have the Right to deny Science.
    Collecting more taxes than is absolutely necessary is legalized robbery. Calvin Coolidge

Quote Originally Posted by Franco View Post
    There is nothing goofy about the statement! If you want to read goofy, I suggest you read your own post.

Yes, I do have a Right to believe in what I do. And, when the topic comes up for discussion on an opinion board, I will do so.

Religion and Science have co-existed for thousands of years. Its only been since the "religion" of climate science was invented that a conflict seems to have developed to a point where atheists have latched on and propagated the lie that to believe in one you must deny the other which is patently false.

Quote Originally Posted by IowaBayDog View Post
    Religion and Science have co-existed for thousands of years. Its only been since the "religion" of climate science was invented that a conflict seems to have developed to a point where atheists have latched on and propagated the lie that to believe in one you must deny the other which is patently false.
    Actually, the split has nothing to do with climate science and more about what man has learned. Especially, from what we learned about our origins through the Hubble Program. BTW, from what I can tell, Atheist are spilt on the climate change debate. The Repub Atheist deny climate change and the Dem Atheist believe in it.

As an Agnostic, I am somewhere in the middle. I don't see how this planet can burn the amount of fossil fuels that we do and not have an impact on the atmosphere. Is it as bad a some climate scientist claim? Probably not.
    Collecting more taxes than is absolutely necessary is legalized robbery. Calvin Coolidge

Actually, the split has nothing to do with climate science and more about what man has learned. Especially, from what we learned about our origins through the Hubble Program. BTW, from what I can tell, Atheist are spilt on the climate change debate. The Repub Atheist deny climate change and the Dem Atheist believe in it.

As an Agnostic, I am somewhere in the middle. I don't see how this planet can burn the amount of fossil fuels that we do and not have an impact on the atmosphere. Is it as bad a some climate scientist claim? Probably not.
    As much as we have learned the fundamental question of "how it all started" and why things work the way they do requires some form of faith and guessing, be that religious or scientific. Science likely will never be able to answer those basic questions with certainty and there is always plenty of "evidence" of a higher power controlling it all. Personally I don't see much of a conflict between the two and believe they must coexist to get the whole picture.

On "climate science" I believe there is plenty of good reasons to conserve, "go green", and find better alternatives to current fuel sources. But, none of it is as dire as predicted and the overall impact is minute compare to what nature itself can do. All just a big $$$ boondoggle to bilk trillions of tax dollars and funnel payoffs to political allies (not just the current administration either).

JS....just stating what most Christians understand and what most non Christians don't! I cannot teach you, what you refuse to learn....the good book is readily available, if you read it, you might grasp some of what I said.....
    Born and baptized Methodist.

A couple years in a foster home going to the Church of the Nazarene ... very fundamentalist teachings.

Several years in a boy's home run by the Quakers.

Another foster farm family (Lutheran) where I went through the Lutheran confirmation.

Married a Catholic. Did not convert but, as a courtesy and matter of respect I attend (and listen) occasionally with her.

I don't believe I have been deprived of "the word". I share most of Franco's views regarding organized religion including his remarks that the Catholics do more as a church to actually practice the spirit of charity and good will toward our fellow man ... things that I have taken to be the important points from my broad exposure to various religious viewpoints.

Most of the rest are just judgmental, self righteous and following rules that they believe will get them to "heaven", a motive that in itself is self serving.

JS
    “Don’t wave your phony patriotism in MY face! If you really love America, open your wallet and hire an American kid to build what you buy. Think of all our problems that might solve.” Doug Fraser (paraphrased) 1980

Real Americans buy American.

Snowshoe's All American Guy SH, UDX, WCX ... CODY ... at the bridge
    CH. Snowshoe's Girl Crazy MH, UD, WCX, SDHF, OS ... PRESLEY
    ...​ at the bridge
    Millpond's Baby Boomer MH*** ... BABE
    Snowshoe's Crazy For Lovin You SH ... NELSON

Quote Originally Posted by JS View Post
    Born and baptized Methodist.

A couple years in a foster home going to the Church of the Nazarene ... very fundamentalist teachings.

Several years in a boy's home run by the Quakers.

Another foster farm family (Lutheran) where I went through the Lutheran confirmation.

Married a Catholic. Did not convert but, as a courtesy and matter of respect I attend (and listen) occasionally with her.

I don't believe I have been deprived of "the word". I share most of Franco's views regarding organized religion including his remarks that the Catholics do more as a church to actually practice the spirit of charity and good will toward our fellow man ... things that I have taken to be the important points from my broad exposure to various religious viewpoints.

Most of the rest are just judgmental, self righteous and following rules that they believe will get them to "heaven", a motive that in itself is self serving.

JS
    Like I said "Most".....I find exceptions to every truth...

Albert Einstein clearly disagreed with your position, to mention one notable scientist, their are of course many more!

Albert Einstein clearly disagreed with your position, to mention one notable scientist, their are of course many more!
    Einstein was long gone when Hubble took a deep look into the universes.

Yes, Einstein had a great mind for his day! Obviously, you know very little about him.

Albert Einstein's religious views have been studied extensively. He said he believed in the "pantheistic" God of Baruch Spinoza, but not in a personal god, a belief he criticized. He also called himself an agnostic, while disassociating himself from the label atheist, preferring, he said, "an attitude of humility corresponding to the weakness of our intellectual understanding of nature and of our own being."

Einstein's thoughts on a god were more inline with Thomas Jefferson's than say Billy Graham's.

Einstein's God was energy and not spiritual.

I believe in Spinoza's God who reveals himself in the orderly harmony of what exists, not in a God who concerns himself with the fates and actions of human beings. (Albert Einstein)
    Last edited by Franco; 05-13-2014 at 03:52 PM.

To get back to the Pope. Infallibility is not attributed to every doctrinal act of the Pope. Only to his ex cathedra teachings. There are conditions that must be met for ex cathedra to exist. The requirements can be found in the Vatican decree. When these conditions have been met and he teaches some doctrine on faith and moral is he infallible. Not every thing the Pope says is a must. He can have his own option. So Catholics and basically all Christians (because they are part of the whole church) only need to follow his infallible teaches and not his personal options, as per Catholic decrees.

Terri

Did I read the Pope wants to baptize MARTIANS???
    Stan b & Elvis