The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How to teach shaking after delivery

Default How to teach shaking after delivery

My dog delivers to hand and has been through FF all the way to double TT and we are going to start swim-by next week probably. My dog loves water and would rather swim and be honest 9 times out of 10 than cheat so I dont see swim-by being too terribly difficult. The trouble that I am having is my dog will retrieve, bring the bird all the way back to me and shake right beside me. Typically she will either do one of 2 things: 1) when she gets to me she drops the bird, shakes, then picks the bird back up and heels 2) shakes with the bird/bumper in her mouth sometimes dropping it during shaking and then either picks it back up if she drops it and then heels to deliver.

I would like her to deliver at heel and then once I take the bird, to shake. Any ideas on how to fix this? Is it related to FF?

I am following Lardys TRT but do not recall seeing this anywhere as everything is done on land until swim-by but after watching it, I did not see him addressing it anywhere either.

Anyone got any tips and tricks as to a simple way to achieve this?

I know some people are probably going to say that my dog has not been properly FF or something like that but what should I go back to and work on if that is the problem

When she is about 4 feet from you while returning reinforce heel. and when she is next to you reinforce sit, Iv'e got a young one going through the same thing right now only took a couple here nicks and sit nicks and he had it figured out. Once you have taken the bumper I lightly take my hand and ruffle there hair on there back between there shoulders and say shake it, they figure it out pretty quick..

I started out right at the waters edge saying hold, hold, heel. Then would take and say shake. Then back up gradually. Eventually I got to where after she came to heel and I took the bumper or duck she shook I would say no. Then command back and shake. After shaking praise. She doesnt shake until I command shake now. Took a while but its worth it not getting drenched when hunting out of a boat.

Agree with todd, I taught my guy to shake by telling when he was going to n I'd say shake when he was a puppy n now he responds to like a command

It's pretty easy to get a wet dog to shake. I'd be impressed if somebody could get a dry one to shake...
    John Lash

"If you run Field Trials, you learn to swallow your disappointment quickly."

"Field trials are not a game for good dogs. They're for great dogs with great training." E. Graham

Quote Originally Posted by John Lash View Post
    It's pretty easy to get a wet dog to shake. I'd be impressed if somebody could get a dry one to shake...
    Right there is spot on!
    Same process with command to toilet!?...How do you progress from the natural act of the dog with the trigger command to the act? lol ..being complete and confident that the command/trigger has created the behaviour rather than the natural thing the dog is doing at the time is the first part of the process and many are happy that this has been learned!...How do you get a dry dog to shake on command?..go visit a dog trainer that can show you with your dog
    One Shooter One Spaniel One Retriever

Yeah, same thing show me a dog that squats when it doesn't have to "go."

I can get my dog to shake after delivery without saying a word.
    John Lash

"If you run Field Trials, you learn to swallow your disappointment quickly."

"Field trials are not a game for good dogs. They're for great dogs with great training." E. Graham

Its not the fact you get it to shake, its that you get it not to shake untill you want it too.

My dog will squat to fake peeing too. But only When motivated. Ie wants to go work but doesn't have to pee. I say do your business and she will screw around for a second then come "dry-squat" next to me so I will let her go run a set up.

People do think its cool that she won shake until I wobble my hand to her. It is cool- especially hunting out of a ten foot zodiac.
    Last edited by jhnnythndr; 05-10-2014 at 01:02 AM.