The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: WI: "John Doe" investigation is now a dead issue

Default WI: "John Doe" investigation is now a dead issue

This was an "investigation" by the Milwaukee DA into Scott Walker's recall election.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2014...in-for-walker/

http://tinyurl.com/m2cbqbe

The "John Doe" investigation into conservatives is dead.

At least for now.

In a monumental victory for targeted conservatives in the secret Wisconsin investigation, Judge Rudolph Randa on Tuesday granted a preliminary injunction to stop the politically charged probe, ruling in favor of conservative activist Eric O'Keefe, his Wisconsin Club for Growth and "others." The probe had been looking into possible illegal coordination between conservative groups and Republican Gov. Scott Walker's recall election campaign, but came under fire for the opaque way it was conducted.

O'Keefe and the club in February filed a civil rights lawsuit against Milwaukee County District Attorney John Chisholm, two of his assistant DAs, John Doe Special Prosecutor Francis Schmitz, and a shadowy investigator contracted by the Government Accountability Board.

"The Defendants must cease all activities related to the investigation, return all property seized in the investigation from any individual or organization, and permanently destroy all copies of information and other materials obtained through the investigation," wrote Randa, federal judge for the U.S. District Court Eastern District of Wisconsin in Milwaukee.

- more -
    Eric

WRC HR Lennoxlove's Run with Wolves JH, WCX ("Cheyenne") ... still so fondly remembered
    HRCh Struan's Devil's in De Tails SH, WCX ("Lucy")
    SR CH Struan's Flight of Fancy JH ("Muse")
    Struan's Master of the Hunt JH, WC ("Charlie")
    Struan's Just Plain Perfect ("Jane")
    Struan's Driving Us Crazy ("Daisy") ... the baby in charge

Conservative judge who was a HW Bush appointee. Got to admit the R's watch out for their own.
    During break time at obedience school, two dogs were talking.
    One said to the other..."The thing I hate about obedience school is you learn ALL this stuff you will never use in the real world."

Last edited by mngundog; 05-10-2014 at 11:24 PM.

Little judge shopping going on?
    Zeus

I don't want to feed an ugly dog!

Where is the outcry about activist judges now?
    One said to the other..."The thing I hate about obedience school is you learn ALL this stuff you will never use in the real world."

Having read the opinion, I have a sense it will stand.

The argument that the case was stopping a state investigation before it was finished, that is exactly the point. The Defendants were using this "John Doe" concept to just drag out the investigation until, they hoped, they would find something actionable. If anyone were "shopping", it was the Defendants in their actions before this went to trial. The "investigation had gone one for 2 or 3 years without a single thing being found that could be acted on so ... they wanted to go on for 2-3 years or maybe 6-8 years or ... well, however many years it would take to find something ... anything.

The crux of the case was that the nature of the "John Doe" process effectively eliminated the plaintiff's rights of free speech.

I found this quote in the opinion sort of interesting, "It bears repeating that we are a country with a government that is of the people, by the people, and for the people. Said another way, it is a country with a government that is of the Constitution, by the Constitution, and for the Constitution. The Constitution is a pact made between American citizens then and now to secure the blessings of liberty to themselves and to their posterity by limiting the reach of their government into the inherent and inalienable rights that every American possesses.

In this larger sense, the government does not run the government. Rather, the people run their government, first within the framework of the restrictions placed on government by the Constitution, and second by the constitutional rights each citizen possesses that are superior to the operation of government."

Who could argue with this?
    Last edited by Eric Johnson; 05-11-2014 at 06:28 PM.
    Eric

WRC HR Lennoxlove's Run with Wolves JH, WCX ("Cheyenne") ... still so fondly remembered
    HRCh Struan's Devil's in De Tails SH, WCX ("Lucy")
    SR CH Struan's Flight of Fancy JH ("Muse")
    Struan's Master of the Hunt JH, WC ("Charlie")
    Struan's Just Plain Perfect ("Jane")
    Struan's Driving Us Crazy ("Daisy") ... the baby in charge

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Johnson View Post
    Having read the opinion, I have a sense it will stand.

The argument that the case was stopping a state investigation before it was finished, that is exactly the point. The Defendants were using this "John Doe" concept to just drag out the investigation until, they hoped, they would find something actionable. If anyone were "shopping", it was the Defendants in their actions before this went to trial. The "investigation had gone one for 2 or 3 years without a single thing being found that could be acted on so ... they wanted to go on for 2-3 years or maybe 6-8 years or ... well, however many years it would take to find something ... anything.

The crux of the case was that the nature of the "John Doe" process effectively eliminated the plaintiff's rights of free speech.

I found this quote in the opinion sort of interesting, "It bears repeating that we are a country with a government that is of the people, by the people, and for the people. Said another way, it is a country with a government that is of the Constitution, by the Constitution, and for the Constitution. The Constitution is a pact made between American citizens then and now to secure the blessings of liberty to themselves and to their posterity by limiting the reach of their
    government into the inherent and inalienable rights that every American possesses.

In this larger sense, the government does not run the government. Rather, the people run their government, first within the framework of the restrictions placed on
    government by the Constitution, and second by the constitutional rights each citizen possesses that are superior to the operation of government."

Who could argue with this?
    Progressives.
    Stan b & Elvis

Quote Originally Posted by zeus3925 View Post
    Little judge shopping going on?
    Considering the Judge's assistant is married to Scott Walkers campaign lawyer, I would say they did well.

Touche mngundog !!!

I would have to argue that their free speech in the way of the walker recall campaign was heard laud and clear. They have found evidence and according to the prosecutor charges are pending. To this the judge says divest yourself of all evidence and destroy any trace of it? That is Ludacris. Could you imagine such a ruling in a mob case? These people as far as I can tell where free to continue campaigning as long as they did it with legal means only. I feel the judge ought to be investigated to see if he was approached for a favorable ruling.