The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: WI: "John Doe" investigation is now a dead issue

They couldn't produce any evidence ... only ifs and buts. You really need to read the decision. I can email it to you as it's only .5MB.
    Eric

WRC HR Lennoxlove's Run with Wolves JH, WCX ("Cheyenne") ... still so fondly remembered
    HRCh Struan's Devil's in De Tails SH, WCX ("Lucy")
    SR CH Struan's Flight of Fancy JH ("Muse")
    Struan's Master of the Hunt JH, WC ("Charlie")
    Struan's Just Plain Perfect ("Jane")
    Struan's Driving Us Crazy ("Daisy") ... the baby in charge

Quote Originally Posted by Henlee View Post
    I would have to argue that their free speech in the way of the walker recall campaign was heard laud and clear. They have found evidence and according to the prosecutor charges are pending. To this the judge says divest yourself of all evidence and destroy any trace of it? That is Ludacris. Could you imagine such a ruling in a mob case? These people as far as I can tell where free to continue campaigning as long as they did it with legal means only. I feel the judge ought to be investigated to see if he was approached for a favorable ruling.
    If you click on my link, you will see the appeals court immediately stayed it, and gave the judge a little spanking in terms of having evidence destroyed.

I knew about that. I am glad the order is stayed, but I still find the original order offensive. I have read the decision also and I would argue that would be for a grand jury to decide, that is why we have them. the original order is out of line with court precedence and actually seems to be factually untrue.
    During break time at obedience school, two dogs were talking.
    One said to the other..."The thing I hate about obedience school is you learn ALL this stuff you will never use in the real world."

It is a 6 year witch hunt.
    It started when Walker was County Supervisor in Milwaukee County.

And the "hunt" has been halted, again.........pending another appeal from the Democrats.

Wisconsin judge reaffirms ruling closing Scott Walker 'John Doe' probe
    By Sean Higgins | MAY 8, 2014 AT 1:32 PM

Over a period of less than 48 hours, a Wisconsin special prosecutor's probe into alleged campaign finance improprieties by Gov. Scott Walker and outside conservative groups has been alive, then dead, then alive again and then dead once more.

The latest twists came late Wednesday when a federal appeals court stayed a judge's ruling Tuesday ordering the probe shut down. Then on Thursday, the judge issued a ruling in a related case which effectively nullified the court's stay. That means that the probe is still under order to shut down, though the legal wrangling presumably isn't over.

On Tuesday, District Court Judge Rudolph Randa ruled that prosecutors had not shown there was any "quid pro quo" between Walker and the conservatives, including the Club for Growth. Without that, the probe was an unconstitutional infringement on the groups' free speech rights.

He issued a sweeping order calling not only for the probe to be closed but for evidence to be returned to the defendants and the prosecutors' notes to be destroyed. He said any effort to revive the probe would result in contempt order.

The prosecutors appealed the ruling, and the following day the appeals court agreed, saying the judge could not order the closure of the case because there was still an unresolved earlier appeal from the prosecutors. They ordered the notes to be preserved and said the judge's ruling could only go into effect if the unresolved appeal was declared frivolous.

Randa did exactly that on Thursday, ruling that prosecutors' appeal was indeed frivolous and putting his Tuesday ruling back into effect. That second case involved whether the prosecutors were immune from being sued by the Club for Growth.

"We are confident that this injunction will remain in place because, as Judge Randa found, the 'John Doe' probe is an abuse of government power to target private citizens for exercising their free speech rights," said David Rivkin, attorney for the Wisconsin Club for Growth.

This is the second of two "John Doe" probes that have dogged Walker since becoming governor in 2011. The probes are so named because they operate under a special state law requires defendants to produce documents but forbids them from talking publicly about them.

The first one was begun in 2010 when Walker was Milwaukee County executive. It resulted in the conviction of three staffers but closed in March 2013 without ever charging Walker himself. It was Walker's office that first alerted the prosecutors to the case, which involved improprieties by some staffers involving a fund for veterans.

The second, begun in 2012, involved alleged illegal coordination between Walker's election campaign and the conservative groups. Randa harshly rebuked the prosecutors, saying they could show no illegal or corrupt activities under current federal law.

The ads cited by prosecutors "carry no risk of corruption because the Club's interests are already aligned with Walker and other conservative politicians. Such ads are meant to educate the electorate, not curry favor with corruptible candidates," the judge said.

Last edited by road kill; 05-12-2014 at 08:35 AM.
    Stan b & Elvis

Quote Originally Posted by road kill View Post
    It is a 6 year witch hunt.
    It started when Walker was County Supervisor in Milwaukee County.

And the "hunt" has been halted, again.........pending another appeal from the Democrats.
    Wisconsin judge reaffirms ruling closing Scott Walker 'John Doe' probe
    By Sean Higgins | MAY 8, 2014 AT 1:32 PM

Over a period of less than 48 hours, a Wisconsin special prosecutor's probe into alleged campaign finance improprieties by Gov. Scott Walker and outside conservative groups has been alive, then dead, then alive again and then dead once more.

The latest twists came late Wednesday when a federal appeals court stayed a judge's ruling Tuesday ordering the probe shut down. Then on Thursday, the judge issued a ruling in a related case which effectively nullified the court's stay. That means that the probe is still under order to shut down, though the legal wrangling presumably isn't over.

On Tuesday, District Court Judge Rudolph Randa ruled that prosecutors had not shown there was any "quid pro quo" between Walker and the conservatives, including the Club for Growth. Without that, the probe was an unconstitutional infringement on the groups' free speech rights.

He issued a sweeping order calling not only for the probe to be closed but for evidence to be returned to the defendants and the prosecutors' notes to be destroyed. He said any effort to revive the probe would result in contempt order.

The prosecutors appealed the ruling, and the following day the appeals court agreed, saying the judge could not order the closure of the case because there was still an unresolved earlier appeal from the prosecutors. They ordered the notes to be preserved and said the judge's ruling could only go into effect if the unresolved appeal was declared frivolous.

Randa did exactly that on Thursday, ruling that prosecutors' appeal was indeed frivolous and putting his Tuesday ruling back into effect. That second case involved whether the prosecutors were immune from being sued by the Club for Growth.

"We are confident that this injunction will remain in place because, as Judge Randa found, the 'John Doe' probe is an abuse of government power to target private citizens for exercising their free speech rights," said David Rivkin, attorney for the Wisconsin Club for Growth.

This is the second of two "John Doe" probes that have dogged Walker since becoming governor in 2011. The probes are so named because they operate under a special state law requires defendants to produce documents but forbids them from talking publicly about them.

The first one was begun in 2010 when Walker was Milwaukee County executive. It resulted in the conviction of three staffers but closed in March 2013 without ever charging Walker himself. It was Walker's office that first alerted the prosecutors to the case, which involved improprieties by some staffers involving a fund for veterans.

The second, begun in 2012, involved alleged illegal coordination between Walker's election campaign and the conservative groups. Randa harshly rebuked the prosecutors, saying they could show no illegal or corrupt activities under current federal law.

The ads cited by prosecutors "carry no risk of corruption because the Club's interests are already aligned with Walker and other conservative politicians. Such ads are meant to educate the electorate, not curry favor with corruptible candidates," the judge said.

Could you explain how it is a six year witch hunt? The article you cited says it began in 2010 and resulted in convictions.

OOPS, only a 4+ year witch hunt.

That makes it OK then!!!!
    Last edited by road kill; 05-12-2014 at 01:17 PM.
    Stan b & Elvis

OOPS, only a 4+ year witch hunt.

That makes it OK then!!!!
    Again simply using the article you gave, the investigation in 2010, led to 3 convictions. I guess if there is a hunt and the guilty party gets caught and convicted one could argue that would be a witch hunt.

Quote Originally Posted by mngundog View Post
    Again simply using the article you gave, the investigation in 2010, led to 3 convictions. I guess if there is a hunt and the guilty party gets caught and convicted one could argue that would be a witch hunt.
    Could you make a list of what Walker has been charged with and convicted of??
    In 4+ years of a secret John Doe investigation?

In regard to my time frame, I remembered when he was County Super, plus his TWO elections.
    The 1st one that he won handily, and the recall which he won even bigger.
    I guessed, innacurately, and you in your astute assessment immediately felt it your duty to point out the injustice of my time frame, not even dealing with what is happening here.
    But I bow to your superioir grasp of the political happenings in WI.
    Surely, the progressives can do NO wrong................

Between this and the IRS harassment of Tea Party groups, progressives have shown the depths they will sink to when they can’t win based on their ideas.

Tactics they would decry as abuses of power if the situation was reversed come quite naturally to them when used against their opponents.

He scares the bejesus out of you progressives!!!!!
    Last edited by road kill; 05-12-2014 at 03:12 PM.
    Stan b & Elvis

Could you make a list of what Walker has been charged with and convicted of??
    In 4+ years of a secret John Doe investigation?

In regard to my time frame, I remembered when he was County Super, plus his TWO elections.
    The 1st one that he won handily, and the recall which he won even bigger.
    I guessed, innacurately, and you in your astute assessment immediately felt it your duty to point out the injustice of my time frame, not even dealing with what is happening here.
    But I bow to your superioir grasp of the political happenings in WI.
    Surely, the progressives can do NO wrong................

He scares the bejesus out of you progressives!!!!!
    The time frame does very much matter, there was an investigation that resulted in convictions, that's doesn't seem to me like a witch hunt. Maybe it does to you progressives!!! Now there is a another investigation that is being blocked by a judge who seems to have a conflict of interest in the case.

>>The time frame does very much matter, there was an investigation that resulted in convictions, that's doesn't seem to me like a witch hunt....

The first round of the John Doe investigation was initiated by Walker himself but the DA couldn't find anything on Walker, only staffers (how low ... don't know.) When this investigation concluded, since Walker hadn't been found to do anything, they started a second one. Remember, this was when Walker was involved in the recall campaign and apparently the second investigation sought to impact the efforts of the Walker campaign by inhibiting free speech. It is one of these groups that filed the case we are discussing.

You need to read the ruling to pin down the history ... whether you agree or disagree with the ruling. It's a complex case and the statement of facts in the ruling clarifies these facts and the timeline.

The previous investigation yielded convictions. The ruling deals with the second investigation. So ... in fact the investigation didn't yield convictions.
    Eric

WRC HR Lennoxlove's Run with Wolves JH, WCX ("Cheyenne") ... still so fondly remembered
    HRCh Struan's Devil's in De Tails SH, WCX ("Lucy")
    SR CH Struan's Flight of Fancy JH ("Muse")
    Struan's Master of the Hunt JH, WC ("Charlie")
    Struan's Just Plain Perfect ("Jane")
    Struan's Driving Us Crazy ("Daisy") ... the baby in charge