The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 1/2 Golden 1/2 Lab

Default 1/2 Golden 1/2 Lab

Anyone like this cross and if so are there any perticular reasons?

Quote Originally Posted by JL82 View Post
    Anyone like this cross and if so are there any perticular reasons?
    I have trained quite a few and some are good some are not. It all depends on the parents just like any other breeding. I have two in the kennel right now. One is flying through training and I'm working on TT with her right now. She marks like a champ and is a great dog. The other wouldn't pick up a fun bumper if you had a T bone attached to it.

I am reminded of a story from a retired Army Colonel who was called as a witness, when crossed by the defense attorney about the ability to build some building not needed he said "Son you could build a library in the ocean. BUT why would you'!"

Quote Originally Posted by Pals View Post
    I am reminded of a story from a retired Army Colonel who was called as a witness, when crossed by the defense attorney about the ability to build some building not needed he said "Son you could build a library in the ocean. BUT why would you'!"
    Touche'.....

Stick with a purebreed with health clearances unless your getting a pound puppy.

Mutts is mutts....but does not mean they will not hunt!

What would ye call that, maybe a Glob? LOL.

Irishwhistler

Other sounds like a potential washout

ANY dog is a potential washout. If it is a pound puppy and that is all you can do get a clipped wing pigeon and see what the interest is and then carry on from there
    BB
    Sight To Sea Labradors
    Southern Cross at Sight to Sea SH "Crosby" (by NAFC FC AFC Cody Cut a Lean Grade)
    Tealwood's Willing at Sight to Sea JH ( by CH I am Able)
    Briarglen's Running on Faith JH (by FC Fish River's Out of the Park)
    Glendair's Come Home to the Sea ( By Ch Topform's Edward MH, QAA)
    Sight To Sea's Take Aim SH (by Sight to Sea's Southern Comfort SH )Aug 23 2003-Feb 2013 Go get em , Man!

Manager of www.DeCoverlykennels.com

My dog current dog is a golden x lab. He's awesome couldnt be happier. I train with a retriever club and I waited after my first training session with them to tell them that he isn't a highly bred dog. They were all very surpirsed then once I said something they saw the suttle things that shows that he is a cross. He has some what fanned tail and he is skinnier than most labs. But as far as his ability goes he was amongst the rest of the other great dogs in the club.

I would say to for it. But be aware that not everyone welcomes mutts in this game and you cant run hunt test with them. But if you are looking for a meat dog and learn how to train a dog to be a retriever I think mutts are a great place to start I have seen people get high power dogs that ruin them because hey have no idea what there doing