The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: CIA cover blown

Default CIA cover blown

Somebody in the administration inadvertently disclosed the name of the A'stan CIA Chief in a notice that went to 6000 people ... uh-oh ... guess that person also gets a pass on his performance review? Or does that person at least get a fine?

The Intelligence Identities Protection Act of 1982 makes it a federal crime for anyone with access to classified information to intentionally expose the identity of individuals who are working in a covert capacity for the United States unless the U.S. government has already revealed the relationship publicly.
    There is precedent, however.

In 2007, a federal judge sentenced Republican Lewis “Scooter” Libby, chief of staff to then-Vice President Dick Cheney, to 30 months of hard time and a fine of $250,000 for leaking the covert identity of CIA employee Valerie Plame Wilson.

Libby was not convicted for intentionally spilling Plame’s identity. Instead, he was convicted for perjury, making false statements to federal investigators, and obstruction of justice.
    President George W. Bush later commuted the prison-sentence portion of Libby’s sentence, but left other parts intact.
    G.Clinchy@gmail.com
    "Know in your heart that all things are possible. We couldn't conceive of a miracle if none ever happened." -Libby Fudim

​I don't use the PM feature, so just email me direct at the address shown above.

these things are never accidental.. there is always a motive.

Obama is up to no good again.
    “I like one-shot kills where possible and prefer to do all my hunting before I shoot.” ..... Elmer Keith

Is there an echo in here?

http://www.washingtonpost.com/world/...637_story.html

From the WP story.....

"Their names were included on a list of participants in the briefing provided by U.S. military officials to the White House press office."
    "Initially, the press office raised no objection, apparently because military officials had provided the list to distribute to news organizations. But senior White House officials realized the mistake and scrambled to issue an updated list without the CIA officer’s name. The mistake, however, already was being noted on Twitter, although without the station chief’s name."
    One cannot reason someone out of something they were not reasoned into. - Jonathan Swift

Quote Originally Posted by JDogger View Post
    Is there an echo in here?

http://www.washingtonpost.com/world/...637_story.html

From the WP story.....

"Their names were included on a list of participants in the briefing provided by U.S. military officials to the White House press office."
    "Initially, the press office raised no objection, apparently because military officials had provided the list to distribute to news organizations. But senior White House officials realized the mistake and scrambled to issue an updated list without the CIA officer’s name. The mistake, however, already was being noted on Twitter, although without the station chief’s name."
    First thing out of their mouth....Obama screwed up.....no facts.

Quote Originally Posted by menmon View Post
    Right... so who is this man you back. Does he have yours? Would you trust him with your life? He is as much a failure as Bush. One was the town fool, the other as corrupt as Nixon.
    “I like one-shot kills where possible and prefer to do all my hunting before I shoot.” ..... Elmer Keith

The White House press office included the name of the CIA chief along with the other officials present at the briefing. The press office distributed the list via email to journalists in Afghanistan with Obama on his surprise visit.

Washington Post White House bureau chief Scott Wilson first noticed the mention of the CIA’s top man in Afghanistan on the pool report. He alerted Obama administration press officials in Afghanistan.

Wilson said White House press staff didn’t care at first. They just blamed military officials for giving them the list. However, when senior White House officials learned about the revelation, they hastily issued an updated list of the individuals at the military briefing. In this second list, the CIA officer’s name was scrubbed.

Both to blame? The military people who provided the list, and the WH press staff for not paying attention?

The Intelligence Identities Protection Act of 1982 makes it a federal crime for anyone with access to classified information to intentionally expose the identity of individuals who are working in a covert capacity for the United States unless the U.S. government has already revealed the relationship publicly.
    G.Clinchy@gmail.com
    "Know in your heart that all things are possible. We couldn't conceive of a miracle if none ever happened." -Libby Fudim

​I don't use the PM feature, so just email me direct at the address shown above.

From the Washington Post story:

Initially, the press office raised no objection, apparently because military officials had provided the list to distribute to news organizations.But senior White House officials realized the mistake and scrambledto issue an updated list without the CIA officer’s name. The mistake, however, already was being noted on Twitter, although without the station chief’s name.
    And from the Town Hall story:

Washington Post White House bureau chief Scott Wilson first noticed the mention of the CIA’s top man in Afghanistan on the pool report. He alerted Obama administration press officials in Afghanistan.

Wilson said White House press staff didn’t care at first. They just blamed military officials for giving them the list. However, when senior White House officials learned about the revelation, they hastily issued an updated list of the individuals at the military briefing. In this second list, the CIA officer’s name was scrubbed.

Interesting to see the word choice differences between neutral and partisan hack reporting.
    "For everyone to whom much is given, of him shall much be required." -- Luke 12:48

Raven - Moneybird's Black Magic Marker***
    (Esprit's Power Play x Trumarc's Lean Cuisine)
    Mick - Moneybird's Jumpin' Jack Flash***
    (Clubmead's Road Warrior x Oakdale Whitewater Devil Dog)
    Peerless - Moneybird's Sole Survivor
    (Two River's Lucky Willie x Moneybird's Black Magic Marker)

Like I posted in the other thread about this, when Plame was outed you progressives blew a collective gasket, but on this................
    Last edited by road kill; 05-27-2014 at 11:17 AM.
    Stan b & Elvis

Quote Originally Posted by menmon View Post

one can not have it both ways. Obama is commander and chief. HE IS the military (in Mom jeans). if it is the fault of Bush for war over no WMD's then it is Obama and only Obama at fault for this, the detained serviceman in Mexico, the dead Ambassador and staff,

and on and on and on........

Exactly where does the male deer halt these days??????

not retorical.
    "So what is big is not always the Trout nor the Deer but the chance, the being there. And what is full is not necessarily the creel nor the freezer, but the memory." ~ Aldo Leopold

"The Greatest Obstacle to Discovery is not Ignorance -- It is the Illusion of Knowledge" ~ Daniel Boorstin

It just occurred to me ... the irony that the WH is justified this time in saying they read about it in the news The WaPo reporter had to point out to them that they had outed their CIA Chief.
    G.Clinchy@gmail.com